What happened To Ole Miss ?

doc4aday

There may already be a thread on this, and if so, merge this thread. Ole Miss has been in or near the top 10 signing some very good talent over the past years, but dropped out of the universe this year. I know that there may be issues going on with OM maybe having the hammer slammed by the NCAA.

50 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

There may already be a thread on this, and if so, merge this thread. Ole Miss has been in or near the top 10 signing some very good talent over the past years, but dropped out of the universe this year. I know that there may be issues going on with OM maybe having the hammer slammed by the NCAA.

The NCAA is still investigating after damn near 4 years, AND the worst part is that they are still finding improprieties even as recent as 2-3 months ago.  

The word on the street is there is an NCAA investigator that has found that they were lied to by some OM folks....she has ever intent of nailing them to the cross.  They offered immunity to players at other programs (Auburn included) in an effort to gather more ammunition on OM.

Recruits, their parents, and HS coaches can't ignore the situation no matter how hard Reverend Freeze tries to downplay the situation.

38 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

when the NCAA's a sniffin, you have to walk the straight and narrow... Apparently Freeze and his boys can't recruit on a level playing field.

Sadly, I think there's some truth to this. That, and the cloud hanging over their head has likely turned recruits off. Ole Miss is about to be in the stinker for a few more years. Still not a team that I'd like to play on their best day, but they were already hurting for depth. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Sadly, I think there's some truth to this. That, and the cloud hanging over their head has likely turned recruits off. Ole Miss is about to be in the stinker for a few more years. Still not a team that I'd like to play on their best day, but they were already hurting for depth. 

If only the NCAA would sniff around some other places that have hard to believe recruiting success...

The NCAA is so gutless that the only way they know how to punish the violators (if they even go after them and don't screw the pooch) is to do nothing and let the "what if's?" take a toll.  Just freaking ridiculous how inconsistent that eff'ed up group is...start at the top with Mark Emmert.

I am sure we do, but we need to continuously focus on cherry picking players from Miss.  I know we had the DB flip to Louisville on us, but come on: if you had to decide between Auburn, OM and MSU?  Why would you stay in state is another way of putting it.

11 hours ago, Beaker said:

I am sure we do, but we need to continuously focus on cherry picking players from Miss.  I know we had the DB flip to Louisville on us, but come on: if you had to decide between Auburn, OM and MSU?  Why would you stay in state is another way of putting it.

At the same time, Ole Miss and Mississippi State are partially where they are on the pecking order because Mississippi is not a hot bed of recruiting talent.

29 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I would, but at 43 I don't know that @augolf1716 would actually let me into the Codger's club.

Probably right. Besides he proably has an actual codgers club. Like a knobbly caveman style one.

Vintage. Only one owner. 

3 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

Probably right. Besides he proably has an actual codgers club. Like a knobbly caveman style one.

Vintage. Only one owner. 

Better be careful... after 100 years of play golf, he's pretty darn accurate about putting that club upside people's heads too.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Better be careful... after 100 years of play golf, he's pretty darn accurate about putting that club upside people's head's too.

just ask @bigbird one of the reasons he's so damn crazy

On 2/1/2017 at 3:17 PM, lionheartkc said:

when the NCAA's a sniffin, you have to walk the straight and narrow... Apparently Freeze and his boys can't recruit on a level playing field.

of course they cannot. recruiting in college athletics is all about brand power for the most part. Look at the top 5 in recruiting this year. Bama, usc ohio state and michigan were all in it. 4 of the biggest blue bloods in the country. No other sports success is controlled and directly related to media coverage than college football. All these kids see is those 4 schools constantly talked about. Pmarsh wrote a article recently that was really good basically saying college football is set up every year for certain schools to always succeed. If you asked tv networks I would venture to say those 4 schools plus notre dame texas and a couple others were the schools they most would wish to be great each year. Back to ole miss. They have to cheat their butts off to attract top talent. Yes for the most part all the big dawgs skirt around the rules in some way but they have been doing it for so long no one blinks a eye when something shady happens and they have honestly perfected dealing in the grey area. SO when the ncaa wants to make a example out of schools it usually is a school like ole miss that no one will care about when they fade to the back again and take their place as a perennial losing team.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

of course they cannot. recruiting in college athletics is all about brand power for the most part. Look at the top 5 in recruiting this year. Bama, usc ohio state and michigan were all in it. 4 of the biggest blue bloods in the country. No other sports success is controlled and directly related to media coverage than college football. All these kids see is those 4 schools constantly talked about. Pmarsh wrote a article recently that was really good basically saying college football is set up every year for certain schools to always succeed. If you asked tv networks I would venture to say those 4 schools plus notre dame texas and a couple others were the schools they most would wish to be great each year. Back to ole miss. They have to cheat their butts off to attract top talent. Yes for the most part all the big dawgs skirt around the rules in some way but they have been doing it for so long no one blinks a eye when something shady happens and they have honestly perfected dealing in the grey area. SO when the ncaa wants to make a example out of schools it usually is a school like ole miss that no one will care about when they fade to the back again and take their place as a perennial losing team.

I don't know if I've ever agreed with every word you wrote before... but I totally do.  Every word.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't know if I've ever agreed with every word you wrote before... but I totally do.  Every word.

haha I would venture to say a big fat NO!

49 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

just ask @bigbird one of the reasons he's so damn crazy

Yes, but its where you keep that club that makes you so cranky

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes, but its where you keep that club that makes you so cranky

Bird just won the internet for the day.  You can all go home now.

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Bird just won the internet for the day.  You can all go home now.

:-\ really if you knew what I know about bird you would chrip  another tune

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

:-\ really if you knew what I know about bird you would chrip  another tune

If only you could remember what you knew about me...

This investigation is too damn big for the NCAA.  It covers back-to-back Athletic Directors & coaching staffs, and spans multiple sports programs.  

This thing includes:

• Academic Fraud
  • Football alone was tagged with 13 allegations, 8 of which are Level I allegations, and 2 Level II allegations (one of which is a failure to monitor)
  • At least 8 boosters disassociated so far----Hell, SMU has 9 disassociated boosters back in the day!
  • Hugh Freeze was listed in the NOA where he was caught bringing a disassociated booster with him & and Asst Coach to an in home visit with a recruit
  • 4 OM coaches on Freeze's staff were listed in the NOA (that's 44% of this staff)
  • Evidence via text messages that there was a system in place to commit violations with two Athletic Dept staffers (John Miller and Barney Farrar) involved, Farrar was just recently fired by OM

When you have the Head Coach named in the NOA, 4 asst coaches, 2 former asst coaches and 8 boosters and then you add 2 Athletic Department staffers it doesn't look good. Then after they issued the NOA a year ago they had the draft night expose from Tunsil on national TV and they have to deal with that investigation.

This thing is just too expansive for the NCAA to handle.

On 2/3/2017 at 9:30 AM, keesler said:

This investigation is too damn big for the NCAA.  It covers back-to-back Athletic Directors & coaching staffs, and spans multiple sports programs.  

This thing includes:

• Academic Fraud
  • Football alone was tagged with 13 allegations, 8 of which are Level I allegations, and 2 Level II allegations (one of which is a failure to monitor)
  • At least 8 boosters disassociated so far----Hell, SMU has 9 disassociated boosters back in the day!
  • Hugh Freeze was listed in the NOA where he was caught bringing a disassociated booster with him & and Asst Coach to an in home visit with a recruit
  • 4 OM coaches on Freeze's staff were listed in the NOA (that's 44% of this staff)
  • Evidence via text messages that there was a system in place to commit violations with two Athletic Dept staffers (John Miller and Barney Farrar) involved, Farrar was just recently fired by OM

When you have the Head Coach named in the NOA, 4 asst coaches, 2 former asst coaches and 8 boosters and then you add 2 Athletic Department staffers it doesn't look good. Then after they issued the NOA a year ago they had the draft night expose from Tunsil on national TV and they have to deal with that investigation.

This thing is just too expansive for the NCAA to handle.

The NCAA can't figure out what to do. It's like UNC, it's been going on so long and is so wide spread, they have no clue how to punish them. 

Archived