What happened To Ole Miss ?

doc4aday

I have a buddy that coaches at a small college in Alabama that has some knowledge regarding recruiting. What he has told me is that every school skirts the rules *gasp*. He has also mentioned to me that Gus likes to think that we don't and tries to stay out of it as much as possible, that Saban know everything that goes on but keeps his hands clean, and that Freeze was the dirtiest coach of them all. Said that he actively participates in everything.

Also told me a story of one of the guys that went that played for him got a brand new car the day his brother signed with Tennessee. Said that one of the ways schools get to kids is by giving their family free stuff instead of the actual player as that will put pressure on the recruit to sign with their school.

For the record, Freeze wasn't named in the original NOA. He had zero allegations directed to him, and he was not charged under the head coach control bylaw. Also, there was no charge for lack of institutional control.

4 hours ago, autkidd2823 said:

I have a buddy that coaches at a small college in Alabama that has some knowledge regarding recruiting. What he has told me is that every school skirts the rules *gasp*. He has also mentioned to me that Gus likes to think that we don't and tries to stay out of it as much as possible, that Saban know everything that goes on but keeps his hands clean, and that Freeze was the dirtiest coach of them all. Said that he actively participates in everything.

Also told me a story of one of the guys that went that played for him got a brand new car the day his brother signed with Tennessee. Said that one of the ways schools get to kids is by giving their family free stuff instead of the actual player as that will put pressure on the recruit to sign with their school.

I love stories like this. Thanks for sharing.

On 2/6/2017 at 10:52 AM, mcgufcm said:

For the record, Freeze wasn't named in the original NOA. He had zero allegations directed to him, and he was not charged under the head coach control bylaw. Also, there was no charge for lack of institutional control.

Interesting,  I read in allegation #7 in the NOA that Freeze was specifically mentioned by name with Maurice Harris attending an in-home visit in a prospective recruits home with a now disassociated booster in attendance as well.  

Then again in the same set of allegations Freeze was specifically mentioned by name where a booster provided transportation for recruits to a recruiting breakfast at Hugh Freeze's residence with the booster in attendance during the visit.  The NCAA lists transportation and the costs of meals as impermissible benefits for the recruits and their family members and cites the disassociated booster in the allegations.

While Freeze wasn't "charged" with anything, he was named in the allegations and was complicit and knowledgeable about the interactions of the booster involved.   

The investigative branch of the NCAA can "charge" any person/program or levy lack of institutional control,  because at this point it's just simply allegations not actual charges.  I'm not aware that the 1st Notice of Allegations has reached the Committee on Infractions level and the investigative branch can't sanction an institution.

Rumor is a 2nd Notice of Allegations on a whole new round of possible infractions headed to Oxford any day now.

Odd use of charge. Technically, there are no "charges" in NCAA NOAs, but as that term is used colloquially it refers to "allegations" in the same sense as "charge" is used in criminal court. For example, a prosecutor brings "charges" but only a jury can convict. By analogy, the NCAA enforcement staff lobbies allegations of violations but only the COI can actually find that a violation took place.

What I meant was:  Freeze was not accused of any violations in the initial NOA. While Freeze was mentioned in the first NOA, he wasn't accused of any violation, not even a Level IV. Additionally, there was no allegation of lack of institutional control. That's all I was noting.

I understand where you are coming from mcgufcm.

My main point was that while the 1st NOA did not charge Freeze with specific violations, he was still involved with a booster that was later disassociated from OM, and Freeze was well aware that the booster provided what the NCAA labels as impermissible benefits to a number of recruits and their families.  Freeze and his staff (Harris/Kiffin) organized transportation, lodging and meals for multiple recruits with a booster.  Now, OM will appeal to the NCAA and say the Memphis guy wasn't a "booster", but all they had to do was get the man vetted through their Compliance and get him cleared with the NCAA.  The guy even paid for tutoring and clothing for at least one recruit.....How could OM/Freeze think that was allowable?

JMHO, when allegations cover multiple sports, multiple Athletic Directors, and multiple coaching staffs then Ole Miss (the Institution) failed to control their programs.  When academic fraud occurred and when improprieties continued to occur while the school is under NCAA investigation (Tunsil), then the Ole Miss failed to monitor their programs.  I don't see how OM can avoid getting Lack of Institutional Control and Failure to Monitor.  They dang sure didn't strive to provide an atmosphere of Compliance.

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2017 at 10:52 AM, mcgufcm said:

UPDATE:  For the record, the 2nd NOA specifically nailed Hugh Freeze with Failure to Monitor and tagged Ole Miss with Lack of Institutional Control.  The 1st NOA didn't scratch the surface or cover the acreage that the 2nd widespread investigation exposed.  

Archived