AU expected to hire Felton

GwillMac6

And according to this he may not have a job very long.  link  It has been fine for our competitors to do this year in and year out yet we do it on the cusp of new regulations...

Auburn signed 16 new recruits on Wednesday, including Markaviest Bryant, a 4-star weak-side defensive end out of Crisp County (Cordele, Ga.). Bryant’s coach at Crisp County was Shelton Felton, who looks to be heading to the Plains as well.

Jay G. Tate of Auburn Sports is reporting that Auburn plans to hire Felton as a defensive analyst. Tate’s report caught the attention of some media members who note that Felton’s hire would be in violation of a proposed rule.

This seems like it goes against proposed legislation prohibiting a school fm hiring a prospect’s coach>Auburn just signed Markaviest Bryant https://twitter.com/JayGTate/status/827275206032887808 

@BruceFeldmanCFB That legislation would be retroactive to January if it passes in April.

Earlier in January, at the American Football Coaches Association convention in Nashville, the association announced that it was proposing an “Individuals Associated With a Prospect” rule for college football. The rule would prohibit a school from hiring an individual associated with a current prospect from a high school, preparatory school or two-year college for a position, on-field or off-field, in the same sport.

Auburn is not the only school to hire a recruit’s coach, as Michigan hired the high school of 2016’s No. 1 recruit, Rashan Gary. Feldman notes that if the NCAA adopts the rule in April, it will be retroactive to January, meaning Felton will be out of his analyst job. At least one recruiting analyst believes Bryant picked Auburn over other offers because of Felton’s opportunity with the Tigers.

Head coach of Markaviest Bryant, who chose Auburn yesterday. Primary reason I predicted on Tuesday that was where Bryant would go. https://twitter.com/jaygtate/status/827275206032887808 

As far as the hire happening, Felton shot down the rumors to WALB’s Jake Wallace and told Auburn Undercover’s Brandon Marcello this afternoon that he had not been offered a position on the Tigers’ staff.

Crisp Co. HC Shelton Felton on rumors he's heading to Auburn: "There's nothing to it. I'm going to be at Crisp until they send me packing."

Crisp County (Ga.) coach Shelton Felton told me this afternoon he has not been offered position as an analyst at Auburn. But if they do ...

It will be interesting to watch if Felton ends up joining the staff, and if so, if he stays on past April.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, triangletiger said:

If I was cynical, I might ask whether this was part of the deal to get Markeviest Bryant to sign with us.  

Good thing I'm not cynical. 

That's how Gus got to the college level.  He loves to pay it forward... even when he doesn't get the player (Bobby/Jake Bentley).

12 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Another Propst protege' no less.  Must be as terrible as Lindsey, right?

we dont know much about Lindsey at auburn at the moment

2 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

And according to this he may not have a job very long.  link  It has been fine for our competitors to do this year in and year out yet we do it on the cusp of new regulations...

Don't you just hate it when it feels like we are a day late & dollar short?

22 hours ago, damabama said:

another high school coach. smdh

How in the heck do you think most coaches get the experience to be college coaches. They work their way up some as grad assistants some as HS coaches. I don't understand your logic. You don't just start as a college coach.

By the way there are some really good HS coaches who are better than college coaches who just prefer to work at the HS level.

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

A lot of college coaches have began their careers as HS coaches.  FTR, Baylor completely saved their class by hiring a bunch of HS coaches. Believe it or not some know quite a bit and are pretty good coaches.

some are not..............not implying anything said with peace and love

On February 2, 2017 at 4:46 PM, corchjay said:

I think H. Nutt was at Ark-mart and did something similar one time...  brought in 4 top instate players along with their hs coach.  Once he got the players he turned on his new OC because he was winning games with his offense and getting credit and the old preacher Nutt's ego couldn't handle it.

Its not an unprecedented move.

Gus bus 

Sounds like something that might happen at a place like Springboro HS.

I don't care if we hire this guy or not. It is not against the rules. LiL Nicky buys entire families, houses, jobs, brothers and sisters. C'mon, if this helps us, there is nothing wrong with hiring a high school coach. 

On 2/3/2017 at 8:13 PM, DivisionN said:

I don't care if we hire this guy or not. It is not against the rules. LiL Nicky buys entire families, houses, jobs, brothers and sisters. C'mon, if this helps us, there is nothing wrong with hiring a high school coach. 

I completely agree. My problem is that now we are doing it and it's going to be outlawed in a few months and then this guy is going to be out of a job. 

Just a question here but per the wording it says that a school would be prohibited from hiring an individual involved with a current prospect. Is Bryant still considered a current prospect until he enrolls even after signing his letter of intent? Something tells me Saban would figure this out and find a loophole. Since Felton wasn't hired during the recruiting process then either change the wording in the proposal or there will be no foul. 

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

Just a question here but per the wording it says that a school would be prohibited from hiring an individual involved with a current prospect. Is Bryant still considered a current prospect until he enrolls even after signing his letter of intent? Something tells me Saban would figure this out and find a loophole. Since Felton wasn't hired during the recruiting process then either change the wording in the proposal or there will be no foul. 

It's retro to January, so yes he was involved with Big Cat per those perameters.

So, will the NCAA also rule that coaches can't hire girlfriends of recruits to work in the athletic department? Will it write a rule that coaches can't use money they raise for their charity to give a recruit's girlfriend a scholarship to that particular university? What about giving athletic scholarships to brothers or sisters in order to attract a recruit? What about helping family members, like mothers and fathers, get jobs in the city where the recruit will be playing? 

NCAA---you gotta love it. 

On 2/2/2017 at 11:02 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

Another Propst protege' no less.  Must be as terrible as Lindsey, right?

I'd pump my brakes on Lindsey. Some football people I know think Lindsey is a damn good coach. I'm going to give him a chance. 

So I am lost, what is the better philosophy here - 

1) We hire high school coaches and former GA's as offensive and defensive analysts.

2) Other schools hire former HC's, OC's and DC's. TCU just hired Sonny Dykes, former HC of Cal. Bama hired Sark & Mike Locksley both former HC's. I sure there are others people and schools, those just come to mind.

Analyst have nothing to do with number of coaches on the field. A school is only limited by the amount of money the athletic department is willing to pay.

Is the idea to help with recruiting. Seems we would miss out on experience on the analyzing part. 

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texaslonghorns/2017/01/12/arms-race-college-football-shifting-facilities-staff-leading-uts-herman-seek-army-analysts

12 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'd pump my brakes on Lindsey. Some football people I know think Lindsey is a damn good coach. I'm going to give him a chance. 

Swing and a miss.  If you go back to the New OC Hire thread, you'll see this was total sarcasm.  I think Felton is a damn good coach as well.  I do think Propst is a POS however.

On 2/5/2017 at 7:06 AM, gr82be said:

Saban has been doing this for years. Uat gets big-time recruits and then hires their coaches, upgrades their HS fields, etc. Whatever it takes. 

Archived