2018 4* LB Quay Walker

ellitor

47 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

The problem we face is showing these kids what we can mold them into.  Multiple staffs at Auburn have failed to produce at the LB position.  It's not all their fault due to injuries and such but it is so easy for these schools to recruit against us.

UGA) Here is what I did with Roquan Smith.  He won the Butkus and is the top rated ILB in the draft.  

Bama) Here is ___________,  they have gone in the first round as LBs for the past 7 years.

AU) Here is Dontarious Thomas and Karlos Dansby. Do you know who they are?  You were 5 years old when they played at Auburn.  Here is Takeo Spikes.  Your dad loved him when your dad was a kid.  Here is Tre Blackmon, the "Little Ball of Hate".  When he was here......Nevermind.

If you didn't grow up loving Auburn then relationships with coaches only get you so far.  These kids at 18 want to play in the NFL. Period.  They want to be a high draft pick and make tons of money.  What kid wouldn't.  Whether it is recruiting against Clemson for a 5* WR or against UGA and Bama for a top LB, Auburn is drawing the short straw on the ability to show a kid he will be a high draft pick and make lots of money.  Thats what a kid wants to hear.  And across the board at all positions except OL ALL OF OUR RIVALS can show any kid that we just can't get it done.  It is soooooo easy to negatively recruit against Auburn.

This, to me, is why we must start winning some wars for top 100 players.  Yes the NFL is full of players that were not top 100 but the top 100 make it at a much better rate than a top 250-300 player.  If you are a race car driver do you want to start from scratch with a Corvette or do you want to start with a Lumina?  Without tons of work and LUCK, the Vette is winning most of the races.

As someone stated earlier Auburn must consistently start winning 10 games a year. 10 years ago Clemson is in no better of a recruiting situation than we are.  Sister school to Auburn.  Auburn with a lake.  Not a state school.  How did they do it?  Clemson can show any DL what they can mold them into.  For every kid Auburn has success with on the DL in the past 5 years Clemson can show you twice as many.  If you are a top WR are you believing Clemson can get you to achieve your goals or Auburn.

?? Bravo

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

The problem we face is showing these kids what we can mold them into.  Multiple staffs at Auburn have failed to produce at the LB position.  It's not all their fault due to injuries and such but it is so easy for these schools to recruit against us.

UGA) Here is what I did with Roquan Smith.  He won the Butkus and is the top rated ILB in the draft.  

Bama) Here is ___________,  they have gone in the first round as LBs for the past 7 years.

AU) Here is Dontarious Thomas and Karlos Dansby. Do you know who they are?  You were 5 years old when they played at Auburn.  Here is Takeo Spikes.  Your dad loved him when your dad was a kid.  Here is Tre Blackmon, the "Little Ball of Hate".  When he was here......Nevermind.

If you didn't grow up loving Auburn then relationships with coaches only get you so far.  These kids at 18 want to play in the NFL. Period.  They want to be a high draft pick and make tons of money.  What kid wouldn't.  Whether it is recruiting against Clemson for a 5* WR or against UGA and Bama for a top LB, Auburn is drawing the short straw on the ability to show a kid he will be a high draft pick and make lots of money.  Thats what a kid wants to hear.  And across the board at all positions except OL ALL OF OUR RIVALS can show any kid that we just can't get it done.  It is soooooo easy to negatively recruit against Auburn.

This, to me, is why we must start winning some wars for top 100 players.  Yes the NFL is full of players that were not top 100 but the top 100 make it at a much better rate than a top 250-300 player.  If you are a race car driver do you want to start from scratch with a Corvette or do you want to start with a Lumina?  Without tons of work and LUCK, the Vette is winning most of the races.

As someone stated earlier Auburn must consistently start winning 10 games a year. 10 years ago Clemson is in no better of a recruiting situation than we are.  Sister school to Auburn.  Auburn with a lake.  Not a state school.  How did they do it?  Clemson can show any DL what they can mold them into.  For every kid Auburn has success with on the DL in the past 5 years Clemson can show you twice as many.  If you are a top WR are you believing Clemson can get you to achieve your goals or Auburn.

Um it’s not all about how you mold them or the NFL, expect for uat. It’s about recruiting and recruiters. TWill and Steele have killed it the last two years at LBer, this year included. LBer position is in great hands. Losing on Walker sucks but it happens. Not sure I see the griping here. 

56 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Um it’s not all about how you mold them or the NFL, expect for uat. It’s about recruiting and recruiters. TWill and Steele have killed it the last two years at LBer, this year included. LBer position is in great hands. Losing on Walker sucks but it happens. Not sure I see the griping here. 

F45541F3-D82E-4F40-9273-FD1DF079571D.gif

12 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Maybe, as the Bob Dylan song goes, the times they are a changing. But it's going to take more than one ten win season in five years. 

Of course the way to do that is keep the pedal to the metal in recruiting. :wareagle:

7 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Maybe, as the Bob Dylan song goes, the times they are a changing. But it's going to take more than one ten win season in five years. 

Of course the way to do that is keep the pedal to the metal in recruiting. :wareagle:

We have now had two ten-win seasons in five years, so that's a start.

16 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm not just talking LB.  I'm talking recruiting in general.  LB came up because frankly other than empty promises to a kid we have nothing to back it up.

52 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

LB came up because frankly other than empty promises to a kid we have nothing to back it up.

Huh? LB came up cuz T-Will is a BOSS on the recruiting trail.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Huh? LB came up cuz T-Will is a BOSS on the recruiting trail.

I love T-Will.  It seems to be the consensus of the board that we have killed it in LB recruiting.  I want to see it translate to on field performance and sending a kid to the next level.  That will greatly help recruiting as well.  It needs to happen at WR also.  I don't think it's out of the question to have 1 kid at every position every four years make the 2nd round. QB would be the only exception due to the offense we run.

31 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I love T-Will.  It seems to be the consensus of the board that we have killed it in LB recruiting.  I want to see it translate to on field performance and sending a kid to the next level.  That will greatly help recruiting as well.  It needs to happen at WR also.  I don't think it's out of the question to have 1 kid at every position every four years make the 2nd round. QB would be the only exception due to the offense we run.

T-Will has only been here for 2 years bro. Our LB play has been great and there haven’t been any LB’s to send to the next level until this year with Tre. 

I never thought Walker was coming to Auburn pretty much from the get go. Honestly, why even wast time on him when there are other needs that need addressing such as the OL. We have 2 slots open if all hard commits stay with us. Get 2 quality OL and maybe have a plan B in case we lose a recruit or 2. Honestly, I think the young men who are hard commits will stay the course with Auburn.  We are putting together a top notch class in the top 10.  This staff has recruited better than any staff in recent memory.  Tubs recruited well, but did not have the consistent top 10 classes that Gus has put together.

This staff will bust their tails to make sure we keep our hard commits on board. The majority of SEC schools would die to have a class like we have put together. We are looking at 16 plus 4 star recruits.  Our defense has been stellar for the most part of the past 2 seasons. We have a coaching staff on that side of the ball that knows what they are doing and can recruit with the best of them. 

Can we do better than Clemson? Yes, and I think we will further close the gap with them.  We need to get a football only facility of which is the one thing we can do that will have a direct impact on recruiting and the overall well being of our program. This should be AD Greene's first priority. This will be the game changer that is needed that will take us to the level we need and should be at.  I think if you sat down with our coaching staff and asked them what is needed that will have a very significant and positive impact on the program over anything else, it would be a football only facility.

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

T-Will has only been here for 2 years bro. Our LB play has been great and there haven’t been any LB’s to send to the next level until this year with Tre. 

Why is anyone thinking I am dissing on Travis.  I love Travis.  What I am saying is, in the previous posts, is that if you want to start getting the top of the line studs in the recruiting wars as opposed to the good players then we need to start doing something with them once we have them.  I hope Travis does that.  Do you disagree with anything I said about the last LBs that were studs at Auburn and had any revelance to the draft were DT and Dansby.  Travis needs to change that and I hope he does.  It is horrible that other than Josh Bynes we don't produce LB's to the next level.  Our rivals do and they can easily recruit against us because of it.  Don't get me started on how easy it is to recruit against us at WR.

56 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I never thought Walker was coming to Auburn pretty much from the get go. Honestly, why even wast time on him when there are other needs that need addressing such as the OL. We have 2 slots open if all hard commits stay with us. Get 2 quality OL and maybe have a plan B in case we lose a recruit or 2. Honestly, I think the young men who are hard commits will stay the course with Auburn.  We are putting together a top notch class in the top 10.  This staff has recruited better than any staff in recent memory.  Tubs recruited well, but did not have the consistent top 10 classes that Gus has put together.

This staff will bust their tails to make sure we keep our hard commits on board. The majority of SEC schools would die to have a class like we have put together. We are looking at 16 plus 4 star recruits.  Our defense has been stellar for the most part of the past 2 seasons. We have a coaching staff on that side of the ball that knows what they are doing and can recruit with the best of them. 

Can we do better than Clemson? Yes, and I think we will further close the gap with them.  We need to get a football only facility of which is the one thing we can do that will have a direct impact on recruiting and the overall well being of our program. This should be AD Greene's first priority. This will be the game changer that is needed that will take us to the level we need and should be at.  I think if you sat down with our coaching staff and asked them what is needed that will have a very significant and positive impact on the program over anything else, it would be a football only facility.

Tubberville for all his faults may not have recruited top ten classes but he by far got more out of the players he recruited and it isn't even close with this staff.  CTT would take a 3 star kid and turn him into something. DT was 190 lb kid when he signed with Auburn.

10 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Tubberville for all his faults may not have recruited top ten classes but he by far got more out of the players he recruited and it isn't even close with this staff.  CTT would take a 3 star kid and turn him into something. DT was 190 lb kid when he signed with Auburn.

I agree with Tubs making 4 & 5 star recruits out of 3 star recs. Overall, Gus has brought in more high end talent over the course of time he has been at Auburn.  I guess I see an excellent class for 2018 that is addressing a lot of needs.  My thinking is that until we commit to build a football only facility, we are recruiting behind the 8 ball in many ways. I guarantee that if we get this done in the next 3 years, we will see a significant bump in recruiting talent.  It is a shame that Clemson has a football only facility and we do not. That should never happen and I feel that AD Greene knows this, and will work to get this done. It is going to cost a lot of $$$$$, but will be some of the best spent money the Auburn AD can allocate for this worthy and overdue project.  This is far more important than having a big screen monitor the size of Mobile in our end zone. I know the monitor was needed, but in the scheme of doing something that will have the greatest impact on the program is a football only facility.

@NorthGATiger I think it is how you explain your point that comes across as dissing T-Will and our defensive staff.  I think that and normally your posts put Auburn as a whole in a negative light so we automatically assume the next post will be no different.  Not trying to be mean, but instead connecting the bridge of confusion of the responses to your posts.  

14 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

@NorthGATiger I think it is how you explain your point that comes across as dissing T-Will and our defensive staff.  I think that and normally your posts put Auburn as a whole in a negative light so we automatically assume the next post will be no different.  Not trying to be mean, but instead connecting the bridge of confusion of the responses to your posts.  

Look I love Auburn but I take the glasses off as well and call it like I see it.  I don't expect or assume everyone will agree.  I simply stated that our Rivals, UGA and Bama, can recruit a kid and show that kid that they can get him where he wants to be.  Where do kids want to be?  They want to play in the NFL and make lots of money.  At the LB position, I stated that it is an uphill battle because we can't show a kid the end result of getting other kids there.  It is what it is.  Our rivals can do that right now.  I hope that changes in the future.  The last Auburn LB selected in the NFL draft was Will Herring in the 5th round in 2007.  That is 10 years.  Think about that.  In 10 years we have 1.  1 LB in 10 years and he was a 5th round selection.  If you think that is me hating on Auburn or showing negativity towards Auburn that is fine.  I think it is awful myself and I think top ten classes are useless if you don't translate top ten classes into on the field results.  Either we don't develop kids or we are not using them to the best of their abilities, or we are bad evaluators of talent to fit the schemes we want to run.

25 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Why is anyone thinking I am dissing on Travis.  I love Travis.  What I am saying is, in the previous posts, is that if you want to start getting the top of the line studs in the recruiting wars as opposed to the good players then we need to start doing something with them once we have them.  I hope Travis does that.  Do you disagree with anything I said about the last LBs that were studs at Auburn and had any revelance to the draft were DT and Dansby.  Travis needs to change that and I hope he does.  It is horrible that other than Josh Bynes we don't produce LB's to the next level.  Our rivals do and they can easily recruit against us because of it.  Don't get me started on how easy it is to recruit against us at WR.

I don’t think you’re dissing Travis. What I’m trying to get you to understand is that we haven’t been able to produce LB’s to the next level because T-Will has only been here for two years. We’ve had nothing to sell to these kids because of this, yet we’ve had two really good classes under T-Will. We will begin to reap even more benefits when Deshaun, D-Will, and Monty go next season. Producing talent takes time, you’re not giving T-Will any of that. 

Your WR argument on the other hand is stupid. Our class in 2016 as well as 2018’s class says otherwise in terms of how easy it is to recruit against us at that position. If it’s so easy to recruit against us at WR we wouldn’t have been able to recruit two top 10 recievers in Kyle Davis and Nate Craig-Meyers in 2016. Nor would we have been able to beat Bama for Seth Williams, keep Matthew Hill from Clemson, or land an instate top talent in Schwartz. But here we are doing all of these things. 

5 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Look I love Auburn but I take the glasses off as well and call it like I see it.  I don't expect or assume everyone will disagree.  I simply stated that our Rivals, UGA and Bama, can recruit a kid and show that kid that they can get him where he wants to be.  Where do kids want to be?  They want to play in the NFL and make lots of money.  At the LB position, I stated that it is an uphill battle because we can't show a kid the end result of getting other kids there.  It is what it is.  Our rivals can do that right now.  I hope that changes in the future.  The last Auburn LB selected in the NFL draft was Will Herring in the 5th round in 2007.  That is 10 years.  Think about that.  In 10 years we have 1.  1 LB in 10 years and he was a 5th round selection.  If you think that is me hating on Auburn or showing negativity towards Auburn that is fine.  I think it is awful myself and I think top ten classes are useless if you don't translate top ten classes into on the field results.  Either we don't develop kids or we are not using them to the best of their abilities, or we are bad evaluators of talent to fit the schemes we want to run.

I’m not disagreeing with what you are saying, I was just explaining why everyone is reacting they way they are to your posts, that’s all.  Helpin’ a fellow Georgia guy out. 

3 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Look I love Auburn but I take the glasses off as well and call it like I see it.  I don't expect or assume everyone will disagree.  I simply stated that our Rivals, UGA and Bama, can recruit a kid and show that kid that they can get him where he wants to be.  Where do kids want to be?  They want to play in the NFL and make lots of money.  At the LB position, I stated that it is an uphill battle because we can't show a kid the end result of getting other kids there.  It is what it is.  Our rivals can do that right now.  I hope that changes in the future.  The last Auburn LB selected in the NFL draft was Will Herring in the 5th round in 2007.  That is 10 years.  Think about that.  In 10 years we have 1.  1 LB in 10 years and he was a 5th round selection.

I see your point very well and know that you do your research when you mention past Auburn players. I do feel that we are going in the right direction, but need to get there much faster than we are moving now. I cannot stress the point that we need a football only facility in the very near future in order to compete and win recruiting battles and just elevating our football program to the next level and making Auburn truly great in the college football arena.

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I don’t think you’re dissing Travis. What I’m trying to get you to understand is that we haven’t been able to produce LB’s to the next level because T-Will has only been here for two years. We’ve had nothing to sell to these kids because of this, yet we’ve had two really good classes under T-Will. We will begin to reap even more benefits when Deshaun, D-Will, and Monty go next season. Producing talent takes time, you’re not giving T-Will any of that. 

Your WR argument on the other hand is stupid. Our class in 2016 as well as 2018’s class says otherwise in terms of how easy it is to recruit against us at that position. If it’s so easy to recruit against us at WR we wouldn’t have been able to recruit two top 10 recievers in Kyle Davis and Nate Craig-Meyers in 2016. Nor would we have been able to beat Bama for Seth Williams, keep Matthew Hill from Clemson, or land an instate top talent in Schwartz. But here we are doing all of these things. 

How many years has Roquan Smith's coach been on the job.  I'm not talking about coaches and time.  I am stating facts.  Auburn has had 1 LB selected to the draft in 10 years and that was in 2007 in the 5th round.  What imbecile would think that is T-Will's fault.  As for your WR retort what will we tell kids if and when we don't produce with them compared to Clemson or some other schools we recruit against?  We certainly aren't setting the world on fire with NCM.  He will be a Junior next year. 

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I’m not disagreeing with what you are saying, I was just explaining why everyone is reacting they way they are to your posts, that’s all.  Helpin’ a fellow Georgia guy out. 

Being in GA you know how bad it is seeing UGA have success in recruiting or on the field.  

3 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Being in GA you know how bad it is seeing UGA have success in recruiting or on the field.  

Oh yeah.  That is why I cheered for Alabama to win the NC.  I will do whatever it takes to prevent any team in the state of Georgia to win.  The fans here are terrible.  

How many years has Roquan Smith's coach been on the job.  I'm not talking about coaches and time.  I am stating facts. 

Glenn Schumenn has been at UGA since Roquan signed in 2015. So he managed to make Roquan a 1st round talent in the three years he’s been at UGA.

Auburn has had 1 LB selected to the draft in 10 years and that was in 2007 in the 5th round. 

That is a fact, true. 

What imbecile would think that is T-Will's fault.  

Like I said in the very beginning of my post, I don’t think you’re blaming T-Will. 

As for your WR retort what will we tell kids if and when we don't produce with them compared to Clemson or some other schools we recruit against?  We certainly aren't setting the world on fire with NCM.  He will be a Junior next year. 

Probably the same thing we told them in the 2016 class? Our 2015 season sucked in terms of Passing stats but we still managed to pull what we pulled. Your argument changed from it being easy to recruit against us at WR to it will be hard to recruit against us if we don’t set the world on fire with NCM... which simply isn’t true. I gave you two specific examples of classes where we recruited well at WR and you changed your argument. 

Also, Ryan Davis just had a career year for us but you've conventiently left that out. 

25 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Look I love Auburn but I take the glasses off as well and call it like I see it.  I don't expect or assume everyone will disagree.  I simply stated that our Rivals, UGA and Bama, can recruit a kid and show that kid that they can get him where he wants to be.  Where do kids want to be?  They want to play in the NFL and make lots of money.  At the LB position, I stated that it is an uphill battle because we can't show a kid the end result of getting other kids there.  It is what it is.  Our rivals can do that right now.  I hope that changes in the future.  The last Auburn LB selected in the NFL draft was Will Herring in the 5th round in 2007.  That is 10 years.  Think about that.  In 10 years we have 1.  1 LB in 10 years and he was a 5th round selection.

I knew what you meant brother. Keep on doing you. Not everyone can take the O and B glasses off and be honest without other people thinking it comes across as negative. Difference in being negative and just keeping it real. BTW LOVE the avi man!!!! Never change it! lol WAR #$%^&* EAGLE as Takeo would say! haha

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Glenn Schumenn has been at UGA since Roquan signed in 2015. 

1 Year more than T-Will

That is a fact, true. 

Like I said in the very beginning of my post, I don’t think you’re blaming T-Will. 

Probably the same thing we told them in the 2016 class? Our 2015 season sucked in terms of Passing stats but we still managed to pull what we pulled. Your argument changed from it being easy to recruit against us at WR to it will be hard to recruit against us if we don’t set the world on fire with NCM... which simply isn’t true. I gave you two specific examples of classes where we recruited well at WR and you changed your argument. 

Also, Ryan Davis just had a career year for us but you've conventiently left that out. 

You are correct that it has not hurt us yet in WR recruiting.  If this staff does not produce with those players then that may or may not change.  I know if I was a WR and wanted to get to the next level then playing for Gus is not necessarily where I would focus.  We have had 3 WR's drafted in 10 years.

Archived