2018 4* LB Quay Walker

ellitor

Probably get in trouble for continuing the hijack but underdog is in the top 5.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Probably get in trouble for continuing the hijack but underdog is in the top 5.

Na but your's is the last post on the topic.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Respectfully nope. Transformers, GI Joe, Inspector Gadget, Thundercats, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Anamaniacs, & Rock The Dragon from Dragon Ball Z are all better.

Add Speed Racer and I'm in. 

On 2/7/2017 at 1:16 PM, Tiger said:

I'll give you Inspector Gadget, TMNT, and the Animaniacs. All belong in top 5. But I cannot boot Underdog for one of the others. We can just agree to agree that you're wrong here. ;D;D:poke:

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

The order off that list is quite a bit off IMO. 

Look at that... you sucked E into an off-topic discussion on a recruiting threat, @au_bsci_04.  I think there should be a prize for that.

I'll give credit where credit is due.....he really is doing a great job.....I don't too much care for him for personal reasons......But I'll give him the slow hand clap

13 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Look at that... you sucked E into an off-topic discussion on a recruiting thread, @au_bsci_04.  I think there should be a prize for that.

Yeah...That's a really hard thing to do isn't it. :-\

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yeah...That's a really hard thing to do isn't it. :-\

Especially when a few posts earlier, you attempted to shut down the discussion and get everyone back on topic :)

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to pull off Cordele (Ga.) 2-for-1

AUBURN, Ala. — When Markaviest Bryant signed with Auburn in February, the attention of college staffs across the country quickly turned to 2018 prospect Quay Walker.

Walker has been a hot recruit since his sophomore season, and it has picked up rapidly from there. The 4-star outside linebacker from Crisp County is close friends with Bryant, his high school teammate, and the two have been regular attendees on the Plains together.

That trend continued this weekend when Walker attended Auburn’s junior day. He was joined by Bryant and their high school coach Shelton Felton.

His first time back on campus since Bryant’s signing, Walker is beginning to show some favoritism toward the Tigers.

“At the end of the day, I’m going to go where I think it’s the best fit for me. At the same time, it kinda played a big role where Markaviest went,” Walker said. “Y’all know I want to play with him.”

Walker offers a slightly different skill set than Bryant.

Bryant is a pure pass rusher who will slip nicely into Auburn’s Buck pass rusher role. Walker can do some of that, but he’s also able to drop back in coverage and fill running lanes when asked. Walker joked that, despite Bryant’s higher ranking, he actually can do more on a football field than his friend and teammate.

He attended the Tigers’ practice Saturday, which gave him a chance to watch linebacker Tre’ Williams and see how Auburn might use Walker in the future.

“The linebackers are very physical. I like that,” Walker said. “Everybody just has a great energy. I’d like to be a part of that.”

Walker has been coming to Auburn since his sophomore season when he attended his first-ever college game when the Tigers played Georgia. Walker has enjoyed his time on campus ever since, even pitching the university to Bryant when Bryant had his eyes on other programs. Walker, in a sense, pre-recruited Bryant, who is now returning the favor.

DSC_0099-1_mhwmfk.jpg
Tigers LB target Quay Walker (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

“Ever since my name got out there, Markaviest and I started talking about playing together,” Walker said. “When we used to come up here for games, I used to always tell him about Auburn. Then, when I was telling him that, his feeling wasn’t the same as they are right now,” Walker said. “Auburn was the first college football game I’ve ever been to or campus I’ve ever been around.”

That long-standing relationship will help as Walker attempts to narrow in on a decision before the end of his senior football season at Crisp County.

Walker has named Georgia, Auburn and Florida as leaders during is recruitment, but said at this time all the schools are even. He said the Gators are making the biggest effort to gain his services. But Walker knows he still has a lot left to see from the main schools he’s considering, which include LSU, Alabama, Florida State, Florida, Georgia, Oregon and Auburn.

Walker said he’ll “definitely be back” on the Plains soon. He expects to make trips to most of the other nearby programs, as well.

Auburn has set the tone.

“It wasn’t too big of a difference from normal. I still learned a lot. It’s a great feeling. I’ll be back,” Walker said. “I haven’t quite gotten that home feeling yet. That’s what I’m really looking for before I make my big decision.”

41 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Last quote in that article is a little unsettling for our chances.

Nai. It just means he's not close to ready on deciding for anyone right now.

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nai. It just means he's not close to ready on deciding for anyone right now.

E, has you or anyone else (their opinion) put forward a list of 2018 guys ranked by AU's desire for them?

45 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

E, has you or anyone else (their opinion) put forward a list of 2018 guys ranked by AU's desire for them?

No because other than a few players it's not known who AU's top targets are yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like AU is 3rd or 4th right now

Quay Walker is a South Georgia kid. He’s not the sort that picks a school based on the way the wind might be whipping through Cordele today.

That in and of itself usually seems to come with a blue collar mindset and a fanatical work ethic. But Walker has never seemed the type of kid that locks onto a school based on the way the wind might be whipping through Cordele any given day.

It might read like that, but that’s not it for the nation’s No. 14 OLB.

The 4-star recruit out of Crisp County seemed to favor Georgia at the Rising Seniors event back in December. That was traced to his interest in the state school, the mutual interest he was getting from the Bulldogs and the feeling his close friend and teammate Markaviest “Big Cat” Bryant was trending toward Athens at that time.

His teammates harped on the fact Walker was usually wearing Georgia gear at the Rising Seniors game.

But then Bryant’s eyes turned toward LSU and then Auburn. When “Big Cat” signed with Auburn on National Signing Day, the tea leaves were trending for Walker to head that way, too.

Quay-Walker-by-Jeff-Sentell-101316a_v9ou
4-star LB Quay Walker was a big part of a 13-1 turnaround season at Crisp County last year. (Jeff Sentell / AJC)

Walker said that Auburn linebackers coach Travis Williams was recruiting him with a fury that would’ve played well in a Red Bull commercial.

But Alabama and Florida are now working harder for Walker than Auburn and Georgia.

“I don’t have any leader right now,” Walker have. “But I do have top schools right now that I am getting ready to drop in a minute.”

Why these decisions can be so tough

Bryant is signed and sealed with Auburn. But Auburn plus Bryant will not build the Crisp County pipeline all by itself.

“A lot of people think that I am going where ‘Big Cat’ is going but at the end of the day it is going to be my decision,” Walker said. “A lot of people have seen once everybody saw in the articles that I wanted to go play with Big Cat. I know plenty of people think that I’m going to go to Auburn but it is going to be the best decision for me, though.”

Quay-Walker-by-Jeff-Sentell-122616b_fxzx
Walker is a physical player that can also really run and cover in space. He’s very skilled at that for an OLB. (Jeff Sentell / DawgNation.com)

Try to pump the brakes on any “kids these days” rant and just learn what that’s been like to be sorting through potentially life-altering decisions like that.

Walker’s views are rooted in logic. He’s applying the formula that attention equals value. Recruiters are going to hit up the players they want the most. Contacts equal worth.

Alabama recruits him the hardest right now. If a school like Georgia matched that effort, then that program would quickly ascend to the top of his thought process.

“No doubt,” Walker said. “That’s what all of this recruiting is all about. I’m looking at these schools who want me. Not basically where I want to go. The school that wants me the most will basically be the best decision for me, my future and my family.”

The players they want the most are the ones they feel will help them win. It means recruit this guy, sign him and the family doesn’t need to fill out change-of-address forms anytime soon.

Breaking down Quay Walker

Quay-Walker-by-Jeff-Sentell-122716a-1_l0
Quay Walker was clad head-to-toe in UGA gear back at the Rising Seniors game in December. (Jeff Sentell / DawgNation.com)

Bryant was an Under Armour All-American last year, but the main aspect of his game was rushing the passer. Walker is an even better player than that. His versatility and athleticism at his size are what sets him apart.

The 6-foot-3, 219-pound prospect can rush the passer, stop the run and shadow slot receivers. The term “three down linebacker” is thrown around a lot. But it really applies to a guy like Walker. He can even move down and play inside linebacker if he had to.

Walker could do it. He recently put up a 500-pound squat. But that’s not what he is built for. That’s kind of like getting a Mustang to pull cars out of ditches.

Quay Walker’s SEC phases

Was it right to say that Walker was thinking Auburn was going to be the place after his friend signed with the Tigers?  Was that legit?

“It was,” Walker said. “It basically was. But at the same time that was mixed feelings for me. I basically got caught up in all of that.”

When that happened, Walker was getting messages every day from Williams.

“That wasn’t happening for me like that with any other schools then,” he said. “It was something that was sticking with me. I was stuck on what he was telling me.”

That has changed. Others schools have offered. More schools have “triggered in” on him. Which school is on him the hardest?

“That’s Alabama there,” Walker said. “No doubt about that.”

Walker basically rattles off the defensive staff when discussing his relationships with the Tide. Defensive backs coach Derrick Ansley serves as his primary recruiter.

Quay-Walker-by-Jeff-Sentell-122616c_mk3m
Walker is rated as the nation’s No. 14 OLB for 2018. Look for that value to continue to rise. (Jeff Sentell / DawgNation.com)

“I get on the phone and I talk to coach (Nick) Saban, (Alabama defensive coordinator) coach (Jeremy) Pruitt and I talk to the outside linebackers coach (Tosh Lupoi) a lot,” Walker said. “I talk to all those guys. I went down there on a visit and they told me everybody and they showed me that I was one of the top recruits they were trying to get in.”

“They show me everything,” Walker said. “They show me how explosive I am and can play a big role by coming in and playing early.”

Walker will not enroll early in January of 2018.

He also felt very strongly about Florida, too. Alabama and Florida continue to be the two schools which recruit him the hardest at this time.

“Florida is very high with me, too,” he said. “They are right behind Alabama or probably neck-and-neck right with Alabama. Florida is right there, too.”

The Gators hit him up with their strong pitch from offensive line coach Brad Davis and that message goes all the way down the staff.

“Florida has always been like that with me,” Walker said.

When he drops that list of top schools, it will likely contain Alabama, Auburn, Florida LSU and Georgia. But there will be more than that.

Quay Walker’s thoughts on UGA

Georgia clearly led for Walker in December. But it looked like the Bulldogs dropped a few rungs in mid-February.

“Nothing really happened with me and Georgia,” Walker said. “It was basically just comparing. Comparing them to other schools which were contacting me every day. I wasn’t getting that from Georgia. The position coach at Georgia (outside linebackers coach Kevin Sherrer) would reach out to me but nothing like these other schools.”

He did speak to Kirby Smart on the phone about two weeks ago. But he has yet to speak with defensive coordinator Mel Tucker.

“Nothing has changed with me and Georgia,” Walker said. “I still love Georgia. That’s what most people don’t realize. Just because ‘Big Cat’ isn’t going to Georgia doesn’t mean I will not. I love Georgia. I still love Georgia.”

He said there was “no doubt” still a big chance he would go to Georgia.

“I still wear all my G’s around all the time,” Walker said.

It is also worth noting that 4-star DB Trey Dean is really high on Georgia at this time. He was clad in all-Georgia the other day at the MVP Camp at Lovejoy High School.

Dean continues to say that he will play with Walker in college. Walker even acknowledged that pledge they made to each other that week at Rising Seniors.

“I like how competitive he is,” Walker said. “I like the way we would be together on the same team. We would pick each other up and encourage one another a whole lot. We talked about playing together a lot really want to play with one another at the next level.”

It is only March. That’s what recruits say and what reporters usually print at this time. But the words from both young men seem stronger than Charmin.

Dean also made the prediction that Walker would not end up at Auburn. He said that the scheme doesn’t fit Walker’s game. Auburn has also only offered just Walker.

It sounds like the more logical package deal with Walker right now would include Dean. Not Bryant.

Since by all accounts we are not going to add his HS coach as a analyst then that has moved us from the drivers seat to where we are now.

1 hour ago, AU80cruiser said:

Looks like he's UGAs for the taking.

Looked like Bama's to lose from reading the article, especially the 1st half.

There is still time. Assuming we want him bad (I don't know if that is true or not) than it appears he wants to be wanted. T-Will needs to show interest on a more regular basis. 

Archived