2018 4* LB Quay Walker

ellitor

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

To be fair, Kirby rocked it last year. Shut AU out of Georgia for most of the top guys. 

Heeeeyyyyyy. Don't mess up my post with facts. 

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

To be fair, Kirby rocked it last year. Shut AU out of Georgia for most of the top guys. 

I don't want to be fair.............damn it

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

I hope this holds, but they've got a long time to correct whatever the problem might be. If they still strike out on the big dogs come signing day, we can all do some happy dancin'. Until then, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Truth. In my limited recruiting experience, a recruit cutting ties with his first choice is either that choice telling him to kick rocks (can't imagine that in this situation), or the school saying/doing something that REALLY upsets them. The latter can't be an easy fix, but recruiting is recruiting, and if you can figure out why players do what they do, I'm sure a bunch of schools will offer you 6 figures.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

But did he or did he reap the benefit of the previous staff building a great relationship between recruits and the school?  Also kind of makes you wonder if Rocker has become a great closer.

36 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

But did he or did he reap the benefit of the previous staff building a great relationship between recruits and the school?  Also kind of makes you wonder if Rocker has become a great closer.

While everybody says Rocker doesn't like recruiting. They tore it up last year with him there. So far with him gone this year not so good. Could be a coincidence or he may be good at it but doesn't like it. Just because you don't like doing something doesn't mean you can't be good at.

13 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Walker was near the top of our board for a long time. 

Yes but we backed way off communicating with him right after his last visit. His words.

I think McClain & Micheal Harris are the top 2 LB targets on the board right now.

Apparently AU has picked things back up & may be #2 but Quay has told all media that Bama leads right now.

On 5/9/2017 at 2:51 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

While everybody says Rocker doesn't like recruiting. They tore it up last year with him there. So far with him gone this year not so good. Could be a coincidence or he may be good at it but doesn't like it. Just because you don't like doing something doesn't mean you can't be good at.

Fact, TR does not like recruiting. Another fact, he is a good recruiter. 

On 5/9/2017 at 2:12 PM, lionheartkc said:

I think Kirby got the first year bump on recruiting. Also think that the year uga had last year is hurting him this year. Lots of recruits are taking a wait and see with Kirby. IMO. 

LB target updates connection to Tigers

When Quay Walker recently released a new top 5, there wasn’t any surprise that Auburn made the list.

The Tigers have been a favorite of Walker’s since the beginning. In fact, it goes much further back than his high school teammate Markaviest Bryant’s decision to sign with Auburn.

Walker has been high on the Tigers, as he puts it, well before Bryant was.

“What most people don’t know, that was the first campus I ever stepped on, the first college football game I’ve ever been to. That’s pretty much why Auburn’s in the top 5,” Walker told SEC Country. “Before Big Cat fell in love with Auburn, I was already telling him about them. They’re just different. With them, he hasn’t told me a whole lot yet, but when he gets over there, he’s going to tell me what all goes on with them, so that I know about it.”

Walker’s new list offered a slight wrinkle, something that likely was a welcome sight for Auburn and others.

Georgia has long been considered one of the primary front-runners to land the versatile outside linebacker. But with Walker’s new list, Georgia was replaced with South Carolina, citing the Gamecocks making it much more clear that they want him.

For the Tigers, that should be a positive sign, as Auburn, Alabama and Georgia always have been a part of the conversation with Walker. Auburn will remain in contention until the end, which could come as soon as this summer.

Quay Walker-Florida Gators recruiting-Alabama recruiting
Four-star linebacker Quay Walker attends the same high school as Auburn signee Markaviest “Big Cat” Bryant. (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

The reason for that: Gus Malzahn and Travis Williams.

“Coach Malzahn, he’s pretty much different than all the other coaches. Coach T-Will, as a position coach, just stands out. He’s the father-figure type. I can pretty much talk to him about anything right now. Me and him, I talk to him just about every day,” Walker said. “Every time I go to Auburn, I get a home feeling.”

Despite his long-standing love for the Tigers, Auburn is playing behind its in-state rival in this race.

Walker told SEC Country that the Crimson Tide are “no doubt” recruiting him the hardest of his entire top 5, which includes Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU and South Carolina. A source close to his recruitment told SEC Country that Alabama will be a tough program to beat. The Crimson Tide are heavily invested in landing Walker, and he wants to get his mother with him on campus in Tuscaloosa.

Another cause for concern on Auburn’s end?

Walker was asked to share one random thing that he’d like fans of schools to know. His response, while not explicitly directed at Auburn, seemed to have Big Cat undertones.

“I’m different. I’m not going to go somewhere just because someone else went there. I’m my own person,” Walker said.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I think Kirby got the first year bump on recruiting. Also think that the year uga had last year is hurting him this year. Lots of recruits are taking a wait and see with Kirby. IMO. 

where is rocker these days? Have not heard where he landed after him and georgia went their seperate ways.

38 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

where is rocker these days? Have not heard where he landed after him and georgia went their seperate ways.

Watching his son be the #1 baseball prospect in the country in for the 2018 class. He isn't coaching.

ATHENS – It looks like Tracy Rocker may sit out this year rather than take another coaching job in football. And after nearly two decades as a defensive line coach, most recently at Georgia, Rocker has good reason.

Rocker’s son, Kumar Rocker, is a rising baseball prospect who will be a senior next year at North Oconee High School. The web site PerfectGame.com lists Kumar Rocker, a 6-foot-4 and 240-pound pitcher,  as the nation’s top player in the 2018 class.

“This is the most time I’ve ever had to even watch him or even see him play,” Rocker said during an interview last Thursday on the Pat Dye show, which is syndicated in Georgia and Alabama. “I’ve watched him a little bit throughout the summer in my career. Now, I’ve been watching him every day. It’s kind of fascinating to watch him. They’re in high school ball now and they’re playing about .500 baseball. He’s playing good. Then after that, they start summer ball, which he’ll be traveling. But he’s doing good.”

Tracy Rocker has been reluctant to talk publicly since he was fired by Georgia the first week of February, for reasons that remain unspecified. But he agreed to appear on the show with Dye, who was his head coach at Auburn in the late 1980s.

Georgia is still paying Rocker his $525,000 salary this year.

“Me and the wife (Lalitha), I’ve never been at home with her, so she’s dealing with me a little bit,” Rocker said. “But the thing is, me and her will go for a walk, basically to go watch him play baseball. He plays three or four times a week. So that’s being enjoyable for me.”

Coach-Tracy-Rocker-Randy-Schafer-1-1_brv
Tracy Rocker working with Georgia’s defensive linemen last spring. (RANDY SCHAFER/SPECIAL)

While college jobs are basically all filled now, and most are in the NFL too, Rocker told Dye he hasn’t closed the door on going back to work this year.

“It’s been good, but I want to get back out there and coach,” Rocker said. “I’m going to wait it out and visit a couple of NFL teams throughout the OTAs (organized team activites) and see what happens and just keep plugging away.”

In the meantime, Rocker said he’s been “catching up with a lot of my family, which I haven’t done a lot of in my career.” That includes his 79-year-old mother. Rocker has coached at four different SEC schools (Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee and Ole Miss), along with Cincinnati, Troy and West Alabama.

While he was with the Tennessee Titans from 2011-13, living in Nashville, Kumar Rocker attended baseball games at Vanderbilt, a national power, which contributed to his committing there.

Dye joked with him about changing his mind, presumably to go to Auburn instead. Rocker laughed.

“When he made that decision, we told him, it was like you used to say – once you make a decision, now we ain’t going back and forth now,” Rocker said. “It’s like I was taught, your word is your bond.”

Dye also asked Rocker for his thoughts on working for the two head coaches during his tenure at Georgia: Mark Richt for two years and then Kirby Smart.

“The thing I learned about Coach Richt was that you get so consumed with football, and then you tend to forget a lot of the little things about the family, your children because you’re so consumed with trying to win every Saturday, and recruit. He brought things back home for me to appreciate the little things, stop always griping or complaining. Think about how thankful you are to have this opportunity to be in the SEC, to have a family, to spend time with your family, to see your children grow up. Those are the things I cherish a whole lot learning from him because that’s what it always goes back to. Regardless when this is all over, it’s still about family,” Rocker said.

“And then to work for Kirby, it was like, he was with coach (Nick) Saban and I had been in that same defensive system for two years, the same type of atmosphere and approach that they had over at Alabama. We turned it around and had a pretty decent season last year.”

good looking out! that is awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

FYI.... Don't know if this will affect his and Jamie Oliver recruitment yet but Crisp County (GA) head coach Shelton Felton announced he's leaving for Tenn Chattanooga.....This is Big Cat Bryant's coach and team mates. There was talk at one time that he was on AU's radar.

13 minutes ago, SouthGATiger said:

FYI.... Don't know if this will affect his and Jamie Oliver recruitment yet but Crisp County (GA) head coach Shelton Felton announced he's leaving for Tenn Chattanooga.....This is Big Cat Bryant's coach and team mates. There was talk at one time that he was on AU's radar.

Unlikely affects Quay. Bama leads for him right now.

On 6/5/2017 at 4:15 PM, ellitor said:

Unlikely affects Quay. Bama leads for him right now.

Earlier this morning (Friday, 6/9) al.com had posted he committed to bama.  It has now been taken down. Not sure what is going on.

I'm a homer. I would go to AU. I would be determined to be a trailblazer, or set the new standard, or whatever.  But I would commit to AU my 10th grade year and stay 4 or 5 years, or as long as AU keeps giving me a scholly. 

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I'm a homer. I would go to AU. I would be determined to be a trailblazer, or set the new standard, or whatever.  But I would commit to AU my 10th grade year and stay 4 or 5 years, or as long as AU keeps giving me a scholly. 

I have said the same thing, but you know as a big time recruit, schools will say and do anything to get you. 

On 6/9/2017 at 9:11 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

At least you are a self admitted homer .

In all of this, I've seen nothing to indicate that he has committed somewhere. Where and when, please? Or was this moved to the rivals section just to keep us guessing?

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In all of this, I've seen nothing to indicate that he has committed somewhere. Where and when, please? Or was this moved to the rivals section just to keep us guessing?

Just the latest in a long line of bama linebackers... http://247sports.com/Player/Quay-Walker-94039

Archived