2017 recruiting class - What could have been

CameronCrazy

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

There is a lot more fanfare with fleck then there us with the 2 we hired. He looks to be the perfect guy to run a program in modern day which is to say he is a dynamic personality who would be a great recruiter and he built western michigan from the ground up. We will see how he does at minnesota. I wish he would of sat and waited another year for a better job. I think because we have not hired a proven name who only will come if they have control is why there has been meddling because these dudes are puppets to a certain extent.

Man i don't think we could agree more today.  Things have def changed especially with how social  media and folks like espn etc, report in a coaches every move.  Guess us fans need to get used to the up and coming coach or middle road gamble.  If this experiment doesnt work out,  maybe fleck or Herman won't have crapped the bed or done too good not to be in reach of the good ole boy network

11 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Man i don't think we could agree more today.  Things have def changed especially with how social  media and folks like espn etc, report in a coaches every move.  Guess us fans need to get used to the up and coming coach or middle road gamble.  If this experiment doesnt work out,  maybe fleck or Herman won't have crapped the bed or done too good not to be in reach of the good ole boy network

your absolutely right it all comes from the PTB wanting to hire someone they can control to a certain extent. Someone who will not rock their boat and not tell them to kick rocks. They still want their hands to be all over the program so to speak. The bigger the name the less control they will still have.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

your absolutely right it all comes from the PTB wanting to hire someone they can control to a certain extent. Someone who will not rock their boat and not tell them to kick rocks. They still want their hands to be all over the program so to speak. The bigger the name the less control they will still have.

What big name coaches have been hired in the SEC lately?  Generally that's not happening anywhere.  Look at who Florida and Georgia and LSU and Tennessee and South Carolina got for their most recent coaches and look around the rest of the league....not a single super-star coach other than NS. ..just a bunch of guys hoping for an 8-5 or 9-4 season. 

Do you really think those schools I listed could have done better if the PTBs would have pledged to go hands off?  Considering what fans are expecting....even demanding, there are probably no successful Power 5 or even serious Group of 5 coaches who would take a job in this conference at the moment....at least until Saban is gone.

As an aside, Fleck went to Minn. because he could take half his commits with him and knew the area.  JMO but it he came down south he would look like the guy at UT with twenty five 3* commits. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

What big name coaches have been hired in the SEC lately?  Generally that's not happening anywhere.  Look at who Florida and Georgia and LSU and Tennessee and South Carolina got for their most recent coaches and look around the rest of the league....not a single super-star coach other than NS. ..just a bunch of guys hoping for an 8-5 or 9-4 season. 

Do you really think those schools I listed could have done better if the PTBs would have pledged to go hands off?  Considering what fans are expecting....even demanding, there are probably no successful Power 5 or even serious Group of 5 coaches who would take a job in this conference at the moment....at least until Saban is gone.

As an aside, Fleck went to Minn. because he could take half his commits with him and knew the area.  JMO but it he came down south he would look like the guy at UT with twenty five 3* commits. 

Agree especially about Fleck...........roll the boat

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Agree especially about Fleck...........roll the boat

fleck would recruit well anywhere eventually. He has IT. that guy is gonna be a awesome recruiter once he gets to a program that you can recruit a little bit easier to. Love that guys personality. He will easily connect with recruits.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

are you really defending OUR ptb?! you sound like one of them. O WELL since everyone else is hiring 9-4 type coaches that gives us a excuse as well? Are you saying I am wrong and that they rather not have a yes man who they can control than a guy who has the clout to demand total control? My point IS if there was a rock star head coach who was attainable they rather go with the safe hire. It has nothing to do with what everyone else is doing.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

c3efe0d688dfe8365d112521ad489498.gif

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

are you really defending OUR ptb?! you sound like one of them. O WELL since everyone else is hiring 9-4 type coaches that gives us a excuse as well? Are you saying I am wrong and that they rather not have a yes man who they can control than a guy who has the clout to demand total control? My point IS if there was a rock star head coach who was attainable they rather go with the safe hire. It has nothing to do with what everyone else is doing.

I am about as far from a PTB as anyone could be.      .As for defending the current situation , let me just note that my point was that nobody is doing any better and we aren't either . Call me a defeatist if you wish, but we are doing about as well as we are going to do in the current climate. .. And in my view, getting back on the coaching carousel will do nothing but run the clock back on the program .

And this is just me but I haven't seen a single coach anywhere in college football that I would give total control of our program to.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:34 PM, GwillMac6 said:

fleck would recruit well anywhere eventually. He has IT. that guy is gonna be a awesome recruiter once he gets to a program that you can recruit a little bit easier to. Love that guys personality. He will easily connect with recruits.

Maybe...... jmo he could not handle recruiting in the SEC at the moment...key word moment

Something that tends to get caught up in all of the coaching debate goes back to 1984 & 1985 seasons that could have derailed the fortunes of the Coach Dye era. Those 2 seasons were not the best of seasons after the National Championship of 1983. (yes, we were NCs by today's standards).  Coach Dye rebounded nicely and Auburn was the team of the 1980s no doubt.

Terry Bowden did a nice job during his tenure at Auburn as did Tubs.  I for one want Gus to keep moving in the direction of many successful seasons to come.  I have been frustrated like many of you with the helter skelter season of 2016. I believe that many of the parts are now in place that very well could propel us into championship contention for a long time.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

I predict we have 4-5 more years of Gus.  I think Stidham will save his job and buy him some considerable time.

It could happen JS was Gus biggest recruit of his life as a HC

7 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Didn't Scott Fountain come to Auburn from Samford? I hope we get a new Special Teams / Tight End coach soon.

Why, because our special teams were so bad? That Carlson guy was just terrible and.... Oh, wait.......

On 2/5/2017 at 0:12 AM, Mikey said:

Yeah, that 20-0 start of his and overall 47-17-1 record just sucked. Of course, it's the best winning percentage of any AU football coach in close to 100 years but let's don't let facts interfere with opinion.

Absolutely can't argue with his success. What is puzzling is that in spite of that and his youth, the best job he has landed since is Akron. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Absolutely can't argue with his success. What is puzzling is that in spite of that and his youth, the best job he has landed since is Akron. 

Terry's problems wasn't his coaching.  Dye said he had one of the greatest offensive minds he had ever seen.  His problems were off the field and his work ethic.

I think this was a great class!    If Stidham, Ashley and TD or Britt would have picked us on Wed, we would be singing and dancing right now.  Those guys seem to be 'bring your lunchpail guys' and didn't need the fanfare.  

We got the #1 QB period.  We haven't had a QB finish the season since 2013 and still may not in 2017, but for the first time I can recall, we have depth.  We haven't had championship QB play since 2013 either.  

KBryant fills a huge hole in the recruiting class.  If he can make the jump, that remains to be seen (re: B Cowart).  

Ask Clemson if they would switch with us.  We got the kinda players to win the west.  I would bet $100 every program in SEC would swap rosters with us right now, except one.  We have a lot of talent that will shine this season.   I think we have had 5 top 10 classes in a row...

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

We haven't had a QB finish the season since 2013

Our QB finished the season in 2014... our D didn't.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

I would bet $100 every program in SEC would swap rosters with us right now, except one.

You sure you want to make that bet?  I imagine LSU and Georgia are both quite happy with where they are.  LSU would like Stidham, but other than that, they are set, and I doubt they would admit, out loud, that they aren't satisfied at QB.  Georgia is set, period. 

I wish they could have landed one more OL and one more LB. Also, perhaps another widely sought WR.

Overall, pretty good class. Seems to have met the needs of the team for the future.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Our QB finished the season in 2014... our D didn't.

You sure you want to make that bet?  I imagine LSU and Georgia are both quite happy with where they are.  LSU would like Stidham, but other than that, they are set, and I doubt they would admit, out loud, that they aren't satisfied at QB.  Georgia is set, period. 

I thought Guice was going to the NFL....I do like LSU's talent.  In the end, yeah, I like our guys more because of their upside.  

2014  - crap...we did have Marshall didn't we?  Did we?  I thought Gus hadn't had a returning starting QB....too many cobwebs in my cranium, sorry

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

I thought Guice was going to the NFL....I do like LSU's talent.  In the end, yeah, I like our guys more because of their upside.  

Guice was a true sophomore this year... we're stuck trying to shut him down for at least 1 more year.

Guice runs with passion and hits hard.  Reminds me of K Irons, James Bostic, maybe Pettway with his aggressiveness but Guice is smaller and I think more shifty.   Personally, I fear him more than L Fornette.  LSU is always stacked.  I believe they won, inspite of their head coach.  If Oregeron has figured out how to be a HC, we are trouble.  And if you look at his work at USC and LSU as the interim guy, you have to think he has.   

That's what I hope becomes a combat multiplier for us: our coaching.  We typically have great talent, holes with depth and hit or miss coaching.  If Gus can figure out how to be a consistent, solid HC, then the wins are consistent, which helps everything else (recruiting and depth).  

So for me, this thread is about missing on a few recruits, I think if Gus can learn how to be a consistent HC by feeling the tempo and momentum shifts (and making the adjustments), we will take care of the 'missing recruits' because our success on the field increases greatly.  Little things like when to play tempo vs HUNH, or when to call that TO for the defense, or which receiver should not be in the game.

Archived