uat Postgame W[82-77]

ShocksMyBrain

13 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

i wish they would learn how to close out a game

They did close out the game. They won. UT had a 19 point lead in the second half vs MSU and lost. Basketball is a game of runs. AU had several, uat had fewer, their big one just happened to be with about 2:00 to go. Yes, AU needed to take care of the ball but uat hadn't put that kind of pressure on AU all game. They clearly didn't properly setup their press break until Bruce called a TO and got that corrected in time to preserve the win. It got hairy, and you wish they made better decisions, but their excellent shooting and second half play gave them enough cushion to deal with a bad 1:30 spell and Heron hit the two needed FTs. 

If not for all the second chances, AU wins by double digits. uat owned the boards, and as much as they wanted some late calls, they owned the refs on some bad missed calls (Brown's drawn charge not called, Taylor clearly over the back on Lang on his putback dunk, inconsistency calling fouls around the perimeter to name a few). Those things kept AU from crushing out. But a win on the road in the middle crammed SEC is huge. Popping uat's bubble (hopefully) is also fun. 

Yeah, we hope AU doesn't lay an egg in their next game like they seem to do after big wins, but this one was sweet.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and one more thing. I'm sure AU fans would be and have been guilty of this, but seeing the full Coleman Coliseum half empty by the time uat got going was fun. When their team needed their fans the most, they had bailed. I don't know how much of a difference it made, but I'm sure it made some, just like when folks left the UT game and Dunans complained about it on Twitter. 

And (maybe) lastly, Spencer was missed. Just having another wide body besides Wiley would have made a big difference in rebounding. He's not a good rebounder in his own right, but he makes a difference. Not having him was a big assist to uat. 

5 minutes ago, jared52 said:

They did close out the game. They won. UT had a 19 point lead in the second half vs MSU and lost. Basketball is a game of runs. AU had several, uat had fewer, their big one just happened to be with about 2:00 to go. Yes, AU needed to take care of the ball but uat hadn't put that kind of pressure on AU all game. They clearly didn't properly setup their press break until Bruce called a TO and got that corrected in time to preserve the win. It got hairy, and you wish they made better decisions, but their excellent shooting and second half play gave them enough cushion to deal with a bad 1:30 spell and Heron hit the two needed FTs. 

If not for all the second chances, AU wins by double digits. uat owned the boards, and as much as they wanted some late calls, they owned the refs on some bad missed calls (Brown's drawn charge not called, Taylor clearly over the back on Lang on his putback dunk, inconsistency calling fouls around the perimeter to name a few). Those things kept AU from crushing out. But a win on the road in the middle crammed SEC is huge. Popping uat's bubble (hopefully) is also fun. 

Yeah, we hope AU doesn't lay an egg in their next game like they seem to do after big wins, but this one was sweet.

I hope next game, for the first time, our guys don't step back and admire their last win over UAT. I hope, finally, we come out with focus and intensity as if only that game matters...but we'll see. Like Bruce said, he doesn't know which AU team might show up.

I was at the game and LOTS of empty seats for a sellout. Auburn never really let the crowd into it for the most part. I thought the big factor for Auburn was Wiley having limited minutes because of fouls. We had no answer inside. Fortunately our guys were knocking down the threes! War Eagle! Always great to beat bama especially at their place!

The shooting in the bama game was outstanding....and it was an anomaly .....dating back to Coastal Carolina since the guys were that hot.... So do we just accept that occasional games like those two just come every now and then and don't get too excited by them..... or do we think something dramatic is about to take place.   

Unfortunately however,  the rest of the game looked like typical AU with little in the way of aggressive rebounding, mediocre defense plus crucial and often unforced turnovers.  

So what can or should we believe about the future?  .....another 10 games before we see another night of lights-out shooting?   Or will the time come when rebounding becomes more aggressive and the opponents won't have open lanes to the bucket or wide open 3s available?    I'm hoping for the latter since good defensive effort is typically more consistent from game to game and can usually keep a team in every game. 

Some interesting games ahead....all winnable (well maybe except for Florida) and anyone of them could be a loss.

This team will win 20 games by season's end. 20 wins and we will get into the 64 teams field.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

The shooting in the bama game was outstanding....and it was an anomaly .....dating back to Coastal Carolina since the guys were that hot.... So do we just accept that occasional games like those two just come every now and then and don't get too excited by them..... or do we think something dramatic is about to take place.   

Unfortunately however,  the rest of the game looked like typical AU with little in the way of aggressive rebounding, mediocre defense plus crucial and often unforced turnovers.  

So what can or should we believe about the future?  .....another 10 games before we see another night of lights-out shooting?   Or will the time come when rebounding becomes more aggressive and the opponents won't have open lanes to the bucket or wide open 3s available?    I'm hoping for the latter since good defensive effort is typically more consistent from game to game and can usually keep a team in every game. 

Some interesting games ahead....all winnable (well maybe except for Florida) and anyone of them could be a loss.

The anomaly was winning the game without Spencer and with Wiley on the bench most of the game, due to the rebounding disadvantage. We have had other good shooting games, and would expect to have another. 

The encouraging thing is this team can win in many different ways, but we have to see the defense play well for longer spurts. That requires Spencer or Wiley on the floor to have a rim protector though. 

50 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

This team will win 20 games by season's end. 20 wins and we will get into the 64 teams field.

We will need more than 20 to get in the filed, in my opinion. More depends on where we finish in the league and how many teams the SEC gets in.

One thing that affects the defense and offense is the use of guys. CBP has struggled to find rotations and he has to settle on that soon. Can't build from game to game if we don't find some consistent units. Spencer being out hurt, but at one point during the chaos at the end we had Harper and Johnson on the floor together, that almost never happens, and we wonder why they struggled? Not all on the players for the way we closed that game out. 

Still overall a huge win and we have a chance to make a move this week. 

Thing is Deux...we've shot 50 % in just four games this year......both bama game which is really interesting....also Coastal and TCU.....and 4 games with similar 3 point shooting......and two were against bama and the others were Coastal and UK.      The guys obviously like playing bama which has a worse defense than AU....

I guess a case can be made offensively that when Wiley started becoming more involved in the offense, Purifoy was the guy who gave up the most shots. Again, just my opinion but the issue with his scoring was more than just his ankle.     Guess we will know more after a couple more games. 

Great stat I heard on the post game radio broadcast is Auburn is 14-1 this season when they have at least 10 assists in a game. Pretty telling stat. When this team plays together offensively, they can overcome a myriad of offensive and defensive deficiencies. 

16 hours ago, boomstick said:

Great stat I heard on the post game radio broadcast is Auburn is 14-1 this season when they have at least 10 assists in a game. Pretty telling stat. When this team plays together offensively, they can overcome a myriad of offensive and defensive deficiencies. 

Funny thing is we didn't need that insane stat to tell us we play much better when we play off of each other. Anyone with eyes can see that. Hopefully the fellas figure this out within the game even though I know Bruce is yelling non-stop at them about how to play smarter.

*not coming at you @boomstick just going off of your post

This was good win. The 3 point shooting was great and part of the reason was the shooter was wide open most of the time because of a drive and assists or fast ball movement.  That said we still have to improve rebounding it is not just size as we saw a fairly small Tennessee team kill us on the boards it is anticipation, desire, blocking out, etc. We see it at times but not for long stretches. When Auburn plays a complete game we see stellar defense, solid rebounding, assists, and easy scores. The same can be said for every team. There is always an ebb and flow in a basketball game no team no matter how good they are doesn't have bad stretches in a game. The key is to keep those stretches to a minimum, play the majority of the game at a very good level and have a few bursts where you can take over a game.

As the year has gone on we are seeing more stretches where we play really good but we still have to many stretches where we jack up three's without setting up any offense often with nobody underneath so if we miss we are giving them the ball, We often see the other team get an easy basket out of this as we are caught flat footed going up court to setup our O while they are attacking while we are out of position. The good news is we have played three pretty good games in a short period bama twice and TCU so now I am hoping we can put a few more together without a let down.

Does anybody have an update on Spencer. He hurt his ankle in Tenn. game and did not play against bama yet last thing I heard is BP said his shoulder was hurting?

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This was good win. The 3 point shooting was great and part of the reason was the shooter was wide open most of the time because of a drive and assists or fast ball movement.  That said we still have to improve rebounding it is not just size as we saw a fairly small Tennessee team kill us on the boards it is anticipation, desire, blocking out, etc. We see it at times but not for long stretches. When Auburn plays a complete game we see stellar defense, solid rebounding, assists, and easy scores. The same can be said for every team. There is always an ebb and flow in a basketball game no team no matter how good they are doesn't have bad stretches in a game. The key is to keep those stretches to a minimum, play the majority of the game at a very good level and have a few bursts where you can take over a game.

As the year has gone on we are seeing more stretches where we play really good but we still have to many stretches where we jack up three's without setting up any offense often with nobody underneath so if we miss we are giving them the ball, We often see the other team get an easy basket out of this as we are caught flat footed going up court to setup our O while they are attacking while we are out of position. The good news is we have played three pretty good games in a short period bama twice and TCU so now I am hoping we can put a few more together without a let down.

Does anybody have an update on Spencer. He hurt his ankle in Tenn. game and did not play against bama yet last thing I heard is BP said his shoulder was hurting?

Good post. Horace injured his shoulder in the UT game if I'm not mistaken.

Archived