Why is every AU game close?!

GwillMac6

IDK what forum to put this in since this post does come from that heart stopping finish on the basketball floor but my question pertains to ALL AU sports. It does not matter the sport. It does not matter how good our team is and how we are more talented than the other team or vice versa I swear it feels like we have more close games across the major sports more than any other school. If not it certainly feels that way. It always goes from comfortable AU lead most times to heart attack level of how close it gets. In all my 27 years of watching AU it has always been like that. Just glad we won tonight. WAR DAMN!!!  Feels so dang good to sweep them in a major sport! I just want to live long enough to see us whoop their butts in a blowout on the football field. We blew a lot of those chances when we were clearly the better team in the tubby years.

Its always been in our dna it seems. Luke it or not even when we didn't lack the killer instinct, we've had the "class" not to run it up.  Think 02-07.. you realy think we couldn't name our score in several of those? Especially 04 and 05... 05 we could have beat them by 40 but decided not to.  Could have had over 15 sacks and absolutely dominated the entire game that saw it get "close" same with the 04 sugar bowl, could have named the score instead it was "close". Same in 06... tonight in bball was just lacked the attention.  Up 15 late, should have been over a 20 point game but we are young and lack that killer instinct. 

1 minute ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Its always been in our dna it seems. Luke it or not even when we didn't lack the killer instinct, we've had the "class" not to run it up.  Think 02-07.. you realy think we couldn't name our score in several of those? Especially 04 and 05... 05 we could have beat them by 40 but decided not to.  Could have had over 15 sacks and absolutely dominated the entire game that saw it get "close" same with the 04 sugar bowl, could have named the score instead it was "close". Same in 06... tonight in bball was just lacked the attention.  Up 15 late, should have been over a 20 point game but we are young and lack that killer instinct. 

dang so well put. agree on everything. The tubs years is what mystifies me. He had the "class" to not run up the score on the field but off the field he would always throw shots at them. Like with the fear the thumb and all of that stuff. I LOVED THAT. He was the opposite of his personality though when it came to coaching style. SOOOOO conservative. 

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

dang so well put. agree on everything. The tubs years is what mystifies me. He had the "class" to not run up the score on the field but off the field he would always throw shots at them. Like with the fear the thumb and all of that stuff. I LOVED THAT. He was the opposite of his personality though when it came to coaching style. SOOOOO conservative. 

Glad you picked up the fact i was taking about bam without mentioning it.  The one game i remember so clearly that made him the river boat gambler was the 06 usce game where we had the ball the entire 3rd quarter coming out with the onside kick and taking them out of the game.  Damn those Thurs night games.  But then you have ones like 04 va tech where we beat the shat out of them but win by what 2 or 3 points? Even 04 sec champ Game,  win somewhat close but Ronnie made tenn his bia. And with Campbell and Taylor

The men's BB team beat UAT by 20 just a few days ago. The women's BB team beat Tenn. by 18 just a few days ago. Every game isn't close.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The men's BB team beat UAT by 20 just a few days ago. The women's BB team beat Tenn. by 18 just a few days ago. Every game isn't close.

we are venting here CZAR of LBers. No need for logic or facts!

5 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

And ding get me started on the ark games. Damn him agains the darth nutt!!

IDK what his record against ark ended up being but I swear it seemed every game we did lose to them under tubs we got absolutely blown the hell out! haha EXACTLY in 04 vs bama and their QB SPENCER FRICKIN PENNINGTON they had no business hanging around that whole first half and us only winning by 1 score 21-13?! are you kidding me tubs? We needed style points and he crapped the bed. Same for the sugar bowl! to even have a shot at getting a split natty we needed to dust off va tech by 3 scores but NAH tubbs was good.

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

IDK what his record against ark ended up being but I swear it seemed every game we did lose to them under tubs we got absolutely blown the hell out! haha EXACTLY in 04 vs bama and their QB SPENCER FRICKIN PENNINGTON they had no business hanging around that whole first half and us only winning by 1 score 21-13?! are you kidding me tubs? We needed style points and he crapped the bed. Same for the sugar bowl! to even have a shot at getting a split natty we needed to dust off va tech by 3 scores but NAH tubbs was good.

It was always when ark should have not even showed up too. I was in j.h. in 06 with my gf at the time at her first au Game when dmc and Felix dad gum Jones ran through our all sec defense like it wasn't on the field.  And if i ever see freaking matt jones i will curb stomp him!

1 minute ago, auburntiger1987 said:

It was always when ark should have not even showed up too. I was in j.h. in 06 with my gf at the time at her first au Game when dmc and Felix dad gum Jones ran through our all sec defense like it wasn't on the field.  And if i ever see freaking matt jones i will curb stomp him!

and then in typical tubs fashion he of course turns around and beats the future national champ and number 1 team in the country the very next week! SO TUBS!!! I was at that game as well. I remember thinking no way were about to lose to this HS coach thats there offensive coordinator! haha.....

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

IDK what forum to put this in since this post does come from that heart stopping finish on the basketball floor but my question pertains to ALL AU sports. It does not matter the sport. It does not matter how good our team is and how we are more talented than the other team or vice versa I swear it feels like we have more close games across the major sports more than any other school. If not it certainly feels that way. It always goes from comfortable AU lead most times to heart attack level of how close it gets. In all my 27 years of watching AU it has always been like that. Just glad we won tonight. WAR DAMN!!!  Feels so dang good to sweep them in a major sport! I just want to live long enough to see us whoop their butts in a blowout on the football field. We blew a lot of those chances when we were clearly the better team in the tubby years.

Amen, Gwill

It just seems like when we jump ahead like last night, it looks like our start to relax way too soon. Then before you know it, we keep turning the ball over and we find our self up by 2 or 3 points with over a minute to play.

Don't forget the 1984 Sugar Bowl where AU beat Michigan 9-7 on a last second FG. If they had beat Michigan like they should, by 14-21 points, AU would have been NC that year instead of Miami.

Archived