Fountain will not be on the field next year

LKEEL75

Just released...  link

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn special teams and tight ends coach Scott Fountain will not be an on-the-field coach for the Tigers next season, according to a person familiar with the move.

It’s not yet known if Fountain will serve in an off-the-field role as he did as Auburn’s player personnel director for four seasons (2009-12) or if he has been fired, the source told AuburnUndercover Tuesday.

Attempts to reach Auburn coach Gus Malzahn have been unsuccessful. A school spokesman did not have comment when reached by Auburn Undercover earlier Tuesday.

Fountain coached tight ends and special teams since 2013 under Malzahn.

He is the second off-season move for Auburn. Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee left the staff for the same job at UConn after the Allstate Sugar Bowl in January.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i saw from a fan posting headline "with more to follow" was he was relieved of his duties. sounds like he will be gone period. does anyone know? man was a great recruiter.............

6 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

At a recruiting standpoint, how much of a hit is this? Any good names out there as a possible replacement? 

He was one of the Top 10 recruiters in the SEC for the past few seasons.

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i saw from a fan posting headline "with more to follow" was he was relieved of his duties. sounds like he will be gone period. does anyone know? man was a great recruiter.............

I believe there is a possibility of him having an off-field position if he wants it, but I don't think he wants that. So I doubt he will be at Auburn going forward. 

18 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

At a recruiting standpoint, how much of a hit is this? Any good names out there as a possible replacement? 

He did good this class but overall he's not been a lights out recruiter. And names for a TE/ST coach don't usually pop up the 1st hour a TE/ST has been let go.

20 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

He has an opportunity to stay in an off field job but he still may want to be an on field coach. TBD.

11 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Any word on strife within the coaching staff???

There has been discomfort on the O staff since after the 2013 season. It's not new.

Well...sunnava b*****    Horton and Rocker ?...who would have ever dreamed that a couple weeks ago.  And relieved of duties is a harsh term...more than just "looking for future opportunities" as they usually say.     Maybe AU got tired of him shopping around for a new job and will let him do it full time...but sure surprised me. 

It's interesting because with the addition of a 10th on-field coach, you think Fountain could become a special teams coordinator and just hire a new TEs coach.  Special teams under Fountain have not been pretty rock solid and I'd like to see that continue.

I hope he stays even if it's off the field, and has been a good coach for us. I understand though if he wants to be on the field.

3 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

Think he knew the ship is going down.

It's been planned for at least a couple months to move CSF after NSD.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Well...sunnava b*****    Horton and Rocker ?...who would have ever dreamed that a couple weeks ago.  And relieved of duties is a harsh term...more than just "looking for future opportunities" as they usually say.     Maybe AU got tired of him shopping around for a new job and will let him do it full time...but sure surprised me. 

Fountain not Horton.

Archived