Fountain will not be on the field next year

LKEEL75

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's interesting because with the addition of a 10th on-field coach, you think Fountain could become a special teams coordinator and just hire a new TEs coach.  Special teams under Fountain have not been pretty rock solid and I'd like to see that continue.

10th assistant is nowhere near a given at this point. In fact it's unlikely to happen now.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Who will be coaching ST? 

Hopefully someone who can coach KO and Punt coverage, and punt returners and KO returners.

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

WTH! I feel like Horton was a very big reason our RB's and special teams play have consistently been at the elite level. Beyond disappointed to hear that this is a choice Gus is making and not a choice Horton made himself. Ridiculous.

Fountaiun not Horton. 

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Fountain not Horton.

'scuse me....miss-spoke/typed.....and that also makes more sense now....thanks

Just now, oracle79 said:

Hopefully someone who can coach KO and Punt coverage, and punt returners and KO returners.

That the real job of a ST coach as kickers & punters know more about what they do than ST coaches do.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am confused. Fountain is done here, correct? Are we glad or mad? No idea where Horton comes into place.

Done as an on field coach at AU. Could be an off field coach here or on field somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

We should bring back Boulware.  I thought he did a good job while he was here.

Would love to have him but don't see him leaving Oklahoma. He's doing very well there.

I will not miss his special teams coaching.I thought our punt and kick return game left a lot to be desired and as for tight ends he either could not coach or recruit one that was good enough to use or we just did not use one period.

Could be wrong, but this seems to be following a pattern that was established when Lindsey plugged into recruiting.  He very obviously has different plans for TEs than how we've been utilizing them, so maybe he wants to bring in his own guy. Or maybe Bird's right and it's time for someone else to step up from our off-field ranks.

I have to say, I've been wondering about Fountain for a while. It feels like he's managed to get by because some top notch kickers have made his job easy.  When we lost Clark, our return D suddenly became suspect... and we haven't had anything close to a consistent return threat in years. 

as for the rocker part of this thread i believe i read or was told several years back rocker planned on doing the college thing until his son graduates?and if my memory and the story are somewhat accurate i bet he goes back to the pro's. and did tracy basically allude or hint to some he would never come back to auburn? i had heard it a million times but i doubt that is something that would be published in an article

What in the what is going on up there?  Well If Fountain wants an on the field job, keep him, designate him Special Teams Coordinator, Ball boy instructor, he was ranked high this year for recruiting in several recruiting sources.  I mean taking an off the field job as an analyst (demotion) is not something a good coach at his position wants to hear.  With Coach Rodney Garner here I highly doubt that Tracy Rocker will come, I mean what's next, are we going to ask Coach Garner to take an off field analyst spot ( a demotion) for Rocker to come here.  I swear, I guess Auburn has to make headlines somehow with Sarkisian taking the Atlanta Falcons Offensive Coordinator position, we have to stay relevant in the dummy headlines too, sheesh.

7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Could be wrong, but this seems to be following a pattern that was established when Lindsey plugged into recruiting.  He very obviously has different plans for TEs than how we've been utilizing them, so maybe he wants to bring in his own guy. Or maybe Bird's right and it's time for someone else to step up from our off-field ranks.

I have to say, I've been wondering about Fountain for a while. It feels like he's managed to get by because some top notch kickers have made his job easy.  When we lost Clark, our return D suddenly became suspect... and we haven't had anything close to a consistent return threat in years. 

Doubt Chip had an impact. This was in the works before Rhett left much less when Chip was hired.

3 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Sark gonna hire Rock 

Well Quinn does the hiring in ATL but I could see the Rock going there if there is a spot. He would rather be in the NFL.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well Quinn does the hiring in ATL but I could see the Rock going there if there is a spot. He would rather be in the NFL.

LOL yeah it was tongue and cheek but ATL is a potential landing spot. Certainly Sark would not have hiring power on the D side of the ball.

as said before, hire someone who can recruit GA and FL.   UGA whipped us this year with GA recruits and we know they are stocked with talent.  The Carlson brothers lower the actual coaching requirements.

I see this as a positive, hopefully this is a sign that we will use our tight ends in an entirely different way. Maybe actually use them as a weapon instead of just blocking. 

24 minutes ago, The Defiant said:

What in the what is going on up there?  Well If Fountain wants an on the field job, keep him, designate him Special Teams Coordinator, Ball boy instructor, he was ranked high this year for recruiting in several recruiting sources.  I mean taking an off the field job as an analyst (demotion) is not something a good coach at his position wants to hear.  With Coach Rodney Garner here I highly doubt that Tracy Rocker will come, I mean what's next, are we going to ask Coach Garner to take an off field analyst spot ( a demotion) for Rocker to come here.  I swear, I guess Auburn has to make headlines somehow with Sarkisian taking the Atlanta Falcons Offensive Coordinator position, we have to stay relevant in the dummy headlines too, sheesh.

This could be a good thing in the end. Let's see where we go from here before we start the Auburn bashing.

Archived