Fountain will not be on the field next year

LKEEL75

Let's see, Auburn had probably the best punt coverage in the nation last season, the return average was negative until late in the season. Kickers and punters good+ to great. Punt returners selected to not make mistakes rather than to bust long returns, but that's a head coach's decision. Top ten recruiter.

So why, exactly, is this guy getting replaced?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Let's see, Auburn had probably the best punt coverage in the nation last season, the return average was negative until late in the season. Kickers and punters good+ to great. Punt returners selected to not make mistakes rather than to bust long returns, but that's a head coach's decision. Top ten recruiter.

So why, exactly, is this guy getting replaced?

Because 2/3 of his teams were avg at best. Only kicking/punting was successful. Coverage was avg. and returns were terrible. 

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Because 2/3 of his teams were avg at best. Only kicking/punting was successful. Coverage was avg. and returns were terrible. 

And don't forget the missing TEs... maybe their absence wasn't just because of game planning.

Stay tuned for next weeks episode of "As Auburn Turns, so are the days of are lives"  staring Gus Malzhan with special guest appearances by Jay Jacobs

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Doug Goodwin sounds familiar just saying

Oh goody:no: 

I just heard on channel 13 out of Birmingham that Scott Fountain was fired and Georgia fired Tracy Rocker. BTW, uat is looking for a replacement for Shark. The top names on their list are Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich.

5 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I just heard on channel 13 out of Birmingham that Scott Fountain was fired and Georgia fired Tracy Rocker. BTW, uat is looking for a replacement for Shark. The top names on their list is Chip Kelly and the former Oregon head coach who was fired.

Gelco has great prices on insurance too

Tony Levine, formerly at Western Kentucky (now at Purdue with Jeff Brohm) woud be a good candidate for Special Teams/Tight Ends Coach. WKU was 2nd in punt returns 17.93 yds per return with 3 td and 3rd in kickoff returns 26.67 yds per return with one td. Kick return defense 26th 18,68 yds per return and Punt Return Defense 35th 5.44 yds per return

BIO

Stats

17 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I just heard on channel 13 out of Birmingham that Scott Fountain was fired and Georgia fired Tracy Rocker. BTW, uat is looking for a replacement for Shark. The top names on their list are Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich.

I don't see Saban and Kellys working together and didn't Helfrick say in the not too distant past he wanted to wait for another head coaching job?

25 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I don't see Saban and Kellys working together and didn't Helfrick say in the not too distant past he wanted to wait for another head coaching job?

I thought they were going to be AU's OC? Guess they passed waiting for the UA job all along!?

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/fountain-out-at-au

Auburn has been a low-risk, low-reward team in terms of punts and kickoffs during the past few years. Punters are instructed to angle kicks toward the sideline to avoid returns; Tigers' opponents have returned a grand total of 13 punts during the past two seasons combined. A league-high 73 percent of the team's kickoffs have gone for touchbacks during the past two seasons.

Fountain played a major role in Auburn's recruiting efforts during the past year. He was offensive tackle Calvin Ashley's primary liaison for three years — working diligently to keep Ashley committed despite an uptick in national relevance — and served as lead recruiter for six players the Tigers signed last week. That group included defensive end Markaviest Bryant, tight end John Samuel Shenker, defensive back Traivon Leonard, kicker Anders Carlson and defensive back Carlito Gonzalez.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

'scuse me....miss-spoke/typed.....and that also makes more sense now....thanks

64 you about gave me a d&*n heart attack. Please be careful with that typing...?

1 minute ago, Auskip said:

64 you about gave me a d&*n heart attack. Please be careful with that typing...?

Sorry....a senior moment...  :)   .happens from time to time....  

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Why would that be a bad fill?

Well, I can't say I know a lot about him other than the google search I did. If it was correct, he's coached only at the high school level. He may be a great coach and recruiter but I'd really prefer someone with a proven record of both. I may be totally off base and if I am I apologize. 

I find it interesting that Auburn would release such a harshly worded press release if they planned on transitioning him.  Situations like this one and D. Craig make me wonder if something else is going on behind the scenes like recruiting violations or something of that nature.  Even if it is a termination it is usually standard to lessen the blow in the press to come off more appealing to future hires.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

The Shark is going to be hard to replace.  Greg Norman is a hell of an offensive coordinator.:Sing:

7 hours ago, The Defiant said:

What in the what is going on up there?  Well If Fountain wants an on the field job, keep him, designate him Special Teams Coordinator, Ball boy instructor, he was ranked high this year for recruiting in several recruiting sources.  I mean taking an off the field job as an analyst (demotion) is not something a good coach at his position wants to hear.  With Coach Rodney Garner here I highly doubt that Tracy Rocker will come, I mean what's next, are we going to ask Coach Garner to take an off field analyst spot ( a demotion) for Rocker to come here.  I swear, I guess Auburn has to make headlines somehow with Sarkisian taking the Atlanta Falcons Offensive Coordinator position, we have to stay relevant in the dummy headlines too, sheesh.

Huh?

15 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Could be wrong, but this seems to be following a pattern that was established when Lindsey plugged into recruiting.  He very obviously has different plans for TEs than how we've been utilizing them, so maybe he wants to bring in his own guy. Or maybe Bird's right and it's time for someone else to step up from our off-field ranks.

I have to say, I've been wondering about Fountain for a while. It feels like he's managed to get by because some top notch kickers have made his job easy.  When we lost Clark, our return D suddenly became suspect... and we haven't had anything close to a consistent return threat in years. 

Bingo. TE's are more bread & butter in Lindseyland so bringing in his hand-picked TE coach should not shock. In college, special teams coaches are a dime a dozen - Ron Zook notwithstanding. Fountain put in years of good work for us but IMHO this move makes sense, War Eagle and Godspeed Scott.

Archived