Players moving positions

gr82b4au

Put him at KO returner.  One cut and hit the seam.  Punt returner, return right or left behind a wall.  Unless, he can't catch a kickoff or a punt and can't learn to tuck the football like a running back.  He has no need to hold the ball like a QB as a returner since he's not going to throw, handoff, or pitch it.  Most teams would kick away from him just because they know he has the speed to go all the way on any play.  That alone could improve field position.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/11/2017 at 7:23 PM, bigbird said:

Not trying at all. From film and watching live, it looks like he does not have the lateral quickness that he needs to be as effective as we want.

I have also said his straight line speed is unmatched and that I hope he finds a role. I just didn't know what role that would be. I'm not tearing the guy down, so stop acting like I am. Obviously he has deficiencies. You seem to be the one that is trying to hard to defend those. Be objective.

If he has decent hands at all, then all we need to do is hit him on one or two deep routes early, and he can spend the rest of the season drawing at least one, if not 2 DBs away from the play, because his straight line speed should allow him to burn most. Stidham plus an uncovered deep threat who can out run most DBs could be a nightmare for our opponents.

JF3 has great speed and athleticism. 

He also isn't a huge fan of contact and is fumble prone. 

Those things would need to improve to put him in any returner role or speed sweep role. 

As other's have said, unless he has "Featherstone hands" he could be a very good deep threat. 

How are his coverage skills?  He might could develop into a solid CB. (again, this would require physical contact)

I seem to remember being absolutely apoplectic watching Randall Cobb of Kentucky score 4 or 5 TD's against us in 2010.  It seemed like they got the ball to him on every other down and we simply could not tackle him because WE COULD NOT CATCH HIM.  He was too damn FAST.  It seemed like he had 750 total yards.  He very nearly single-handedly beat us.  I would absolutely love to see JF3 him get more touches.  Let him fumble the ball---we weren't scoring any touchdowns anyways outside of that streak.   I love Auburn and support every player and coach.  I will love Auburn long after current players and coaches are gone.  This has been said over and over but when Gus' O is working--it is a thing of beauty.  When it is not working for whatever reason he goes cuckoo (Cox whirly-bird, etc.) and it is some of the worst football ever seen by man.  There is no middle ground, and that is on Gus.  Looking forward to Lindsey and some passing.  I honestly think it is going to be a VERY VERY good year this year.

25 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

if he can't catch a kickoff, and I'll wager that he can, let someone catch the ickoff and go over and hand it to him

We tried that last year... it wasn't pretty.

26 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

JF3 is athletic---he is not going to drop a properly thrown short pass.......he can probably take a handoff or even a lateral or shovel pass....I'd like to see it myself, 15 times a game.

We don't need him to catch short passes... we need him to catch passes that hit him after he's blown past the secondary.

39 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

JF3 is athletic---he is not going to drop a properly thrown short pass.......he can probably take a handoff or even a lateral or shovel pass....I'd like to see it myself, 15 times a game.

Would result in 2~3 fumbles per game. 

53 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

if he can't catch a kickoff, and I'll wager that he can, let someone catch the ickoff and go over and hand it to him

Doubt they try that with him again, the last time didn't work so well.

53 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

We tried that last year... it wasn't pretty.

That is another one of those things tried last year, that I would love to never see again.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

That is another one of those things tried last year, that I would love to never see again.

It's going to be really interesting to see what Lindsey does with the offense.  Gus's offense has always been designed to level the playing field for a weaker, less talented team when facing the big guys.  That's why it was all about speed and misdirection. If you can't beat them in the trenches, then wear them down and confuse them.  The thing is, we are strong and talented, so we don't have to resort to all of that, we just have to play football. I hope Lindsey sees that and, while I don't want to throw out every aspect of the HUNH, I would love to see him make it a wrinkle in a more traditional offense vs the norm.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It's going to be really interesting to see what Lindsey does with the offense.  Gus's offense has always been designed to level the playing field for a weaker, less talented team when facing the big guys.  That's why it was all about speed and misdirection. If you can't beat them in the trenches, then wear them down and confuse them.  The thing is, we are strong and talented, so we don't have to resort to all of that, we just have to play football. I hope Lindsey sees that and, while I don't want to throw out every aspect of the HUNH, I would love to see him make it a wrinkle in a more traditional offense vs the norm.

The main thing I am looking for is more evolution and usage of the passing game.  I want to see the whole field targeted more aggressively.  For that matter, I want to see a passing attack that is feared every bit as much as the rushing attack has been.  Enough with this 70/30 run/pass nonsense.

Personally, I like speed and misdirection.  I do think they are pointless if they are used incorrectly though.  If you are not keeping the tempo up, then the misdirection is usually just making long-developing plays that are easier for the defense to respond to.  That said, I am more a fan of offensive football than I am defensive football.  I enjoyed watching Baylor and Oregon's offenses, and spent much of the last 3 seasons wondering why a man that literally wrote a book about the HUNH was not also running his offense that fast.  I say last 3 seasons because 2014 is when that hurry up to line up and wait 30 seconds while the coaches play peek-a-boo really started to annoy me.

DangHow did I miss the kickoff/hand it to JF3?  What game was that?  I must have gotten up for a snack.  Sorry bout that.  Do you guys really think he is that prone to fumble?  I am torn between accepting the reality that he has many issues, and wanting to see the electricity that I want to believe is possible. But damn he is fast. 

2 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

DangHow did I miss the kickoff/hand it to JF3?  What game was that?  I must have gotten up for a snack.  Sorry bout that.  Do you guys really think he is that prone to fumble?  I am torn between accepting the reality that he has many issues, and wanting to see the electricity that I want to believe is possible. But damn he is fast. 

I definitely remember it happening during the Vandy game. I think right before the half.

13 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

His tendency is to hold the ball with one hand, away from his body.  That's what makes him prone to fumble.  It's certainly something that can be corrected.

For the record, Iggy, our new freshman wide receiver, is faster.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

His tendency is to hold the ball with one hand, away from his body.  That's what makes him prone to fumble.  It's certainly something that can be corrected.

For the record, Iggy, our new freshman wide receiver, is faster.

and, apparently, can jump

OMac didn't particularly love contact...his favorite spot on the speed sweep was the sideline 15 yards down field...in fact when he did cut it back he usually found great chunks of yardage.  I imagine JF could do the same thing...although Stove appears to already do a great job.

2 hours ago, casatiger said:

I cannot wait for the Tyler Queen goal-line jumbo package, whirly bird, jump pass to Calvin Ashley an eligible tight end in the end zone.  

We really got the names goin' on. We have 2 princes, a queen, an iggy, and a stove. If we get the butterbean kid next year we will really be in business.

58 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

OMac didn't particularly love contact...his favorite spot on the speed sweep was the sideline 15 yards down field...in fact when he did cut it back he usually found great chunks of yardage.  I imagine JF could do the same thing...although Stove appears to already do a great job.

Tough as nails. Held the ball well. 

23 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

You've got to be kidding. )) JF3 handling the ball 15 times like that will be broken, or after about 5 or 6 of those he will pull an Omac and fall down on a finger tackle...))

21 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Now THAT is the best option I have seen. To NOT base your offense around the HUNH, but using Lindsey's offense, use the HUNH as a package or at certain times in the game. I think i have actually seen traditional offenses use this during a game just to throw the D off, or to make the D stay on the field longer later in a game.

Just now, steeleagle said:

Now THAT is the best option I have seen. To NOT base your offense around the HUNH, but using Lindsey's offense, use the HUNH as a package or at certain times in the game. I think i have actually seen traditional offenses use this during a game just to throw the D off, or to make the D stay on the field longer later in a game.

Yup... and there's no reason Lindsey's offense can't go fast more often than not, if it works against the opponent. I could see us running at full speed against Arkansas, partly because Bret loves him some BIG linemen, and partially because he threw such a fit about it a couple of years ago.

Archived