Vs MSU Postgame W[98-92]

ShocksMyBrain

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can finally go to bed now. We gotta find a way to slam the door on these teams. Big W though no matter how ya slice it. 

Ok, whew. A win is a win but man, it would be great if AU could find a way to deal with that late pressure. Good shooting for much of the game and rebounded quite well. Glad for the needed win for sure!

Take it! The flow of the game took to a snails pace and Auburn lost its momentum because of it. Gotta be better at the free throw line with less than 5 minutes to play. 

Tried to choke it away but pulled it out. Lang should not be playing with under 5 mins. We need him for rebounding but the fact that he was inbounding late was aggravating 

My feed locked up. Did Lang lose the last inbounds pass or was it someone else?  If they still had Lang throwing the ball in after 4 or 5 unsuccessful attempts in a row then I know why our team struggles at the end of games....

Also I watched our entire team play lazy ball for a solid 10-12 minutes of the game as the lead shrunk from 21 to about 8. I kept waiting for Coach P to start yelling at someone and light a fire but it never happened.  I guess he's just not a motivator unless it's positive? 

That said, I thought the guys closed out the end well (other than missing some FT and Lang being thrown to the wolves over and over and over again as an inbounds man which he is clearly not and that's 10000000000 percent on the coaches). 

These refs seriously called over 12 fouls in the last 2 minutes. Many of which were on our guys for just being in the vicinity of an MSU player. The fact that we couldn't make some foul shots and the refs were doing everything they could to make sure MSU had another 20 possessions in the final 2 minutes and we still came out on top is a solid performance from a young team iyam. A month ago we would have lost that game. 

If Auburn played against a Nolan Richardson coached team in his heyday we would lose by 50 points.  I think most reasonable people who follow basketball would agree this is the worst team they have ever seen inbounding the ball against the press. MERCY it is so bad. Also why are we not trying to get the ball to our most consistent and best FT shooter in purifoy?! 

We must've been assigned the bottom tier SEC ref crew this week. Oh well.

You can't tell me they were calling the game the same at the beginning as the last 3 mins. You would breath on a player, and either team would be at the FT line. It tells be those refs didn't trust themselves that late to let the guys play, so they resulted in making it a FT contest. BS like that needs to stop. If I attended the game I would've had to leave because it just went too long, and there was no entertainment value from it.

Also, how come a team like us who likes to press is so bad at reacting to being pressed? Have coaches ever run the scenario in practice? Because it sure as hell doesn't look like we've practiced being pressed before.

1 minute ago, milehighfan said:

It's obvious, this team can't handle late game pressure. They were lucky they had big leads. If not for that you could have added two more losses to the record.

:-\

The big lead is why they got lazy. Once you get lazy you get cold and that is VERY hard to turn back around.  Either way, the game is 40 minutes. If you have more points in 40 minutes than the other guy, you win. It doesn't matter if you get them more early and less late or visa versa.  Let us not forget that we have folded after almost every big win this year. Tonight we came out and killed it for a while after sweeping bama. That is a HUGE step in the right direction. By the time MSU got hot, our guys had gotten bored with how easy it was to score and got cold. Coaching should have prevented this from happening but for some reason it never does. 

2 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Also, how come a team like us who likes to press is so bad at reacting to being pressed? Have coaches ever run the scenario in practice? Because it sure as hell doesn't look like we've practiced being pressed before.

We can handle the press. Just not with Lang passing the ball in. I'd venture to guess there's no one here with any reasonable answer as to why he was in that position to begin with.  We have some major question marks in coaching. Luckily this team gets a little better chemistry every week and is now starting to overcome some of the head scratching moves by the staff. 

8 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

We must've been assigned the bottom tier SEC ref crew this week. Oh well.

You can't tell me they were calling the game the same at the beginning as the last 3 mins. You would breath on a player, and either team would be at the FT line. It tells be those refs didn't trust themselves that late to let the guys play, so they resulted in making it a FT contest. BS like that needs to stop. If I attended the game I would've had to leave because it just went too long, and there was no entertainment value from it.

Refs have pretty much DESTROYED basketball. It's been that way for 20 years. Must not pay well is all I can guess. 

6 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Refs have pretty much DESTROYED basketball. It's been that way for 20 years. Must not pay well is all I can guess. 

It's that way at every level of basketball from youth to the NBA.  It's way to subjective.  

This team does not get another "a win is a win" or "this is what to expect with freshman" from me tonight. This was absolutely disgusting to watch! After possibly our best defensive half of the season, we followed it with possibly our worst. Giving up 64 points in a half is never acceptable and is downright embarrassing! I thought this team had really turned the corner after jumping out to a 20 point lead at half, but we again took a step backwards. 

Why is the world did we not have the other 4 guys helping Lang get the ball in?! Why in the world is Harper & Johnson not in the game at the same time in that situation?! Why in the world did we wait until they got within 6 to finally start putting pressure on the ball handler bring the ball up the court?! The first rule is to take the ball out of his hands and DEFINITELY cut off his straight drive to the basket! 

Brown, Harper, & Heron all missed critical free throws late in the game. Harper missed the front end of a one-and-one!

After we were up 14 with the ball, Johnson throws up an air ball from 3 then fouls the guy on a breakaway layup at the other end for an "and 1" play. Terrible sequence after he had been so good in the 2nd half. 

Purifoy refused to put his hands up to contest 3 point shots! We had huge lapses in judgement and just really poor efforts defensively and on the boards in the 2nd half. Just embarrassing! 

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

It's that way at every level of basketball from youth to the NBA.  It's way to subjective.  

nba officiating is so good. They have the hardest job in sports with the most gifted athletes in the world. they for the most part do a pretty good job. The decline from nba to college is astounding. they need to up the pay give more extensive training do something. This cannot go on. No game is more controlled by officials as college basketball is. Most games its just a glorified FT shooting contest.

Ummmm guys, we just secured our first winning season in 7 years. Sheesh, from some of the talk in here, you'd think expectations for this squad included an elite 8 berth. Enjoy the crucial, albeit small, turning point this program secured tonight. Now let's turn the focus to earning a postseason berth. I don't care if we almost blow 20 point leads the rest of the season. In fact, I'll take 4 or 5 more almost blown 20 point leads from here on out. It's not pretty, but the W/L column isn't biased 

That is ridiculous. Its going to come back and haunt us in the sec tourney if we do not figure out how to correctly inbound the ball against the press. Its because we want to go to the postseason in some form is why we want to nip this in the bud. Teams have a blueprint of the best way to defend us after made baskets. We look like we have never worked once on how to inbound the ball against press the last 2 games.

War Eagle!  We definitely lose that game earlier in the season.  Little by little this team is getting better.  Gotta hit those free throws.

That said, coaching the last couple of minutes was not good.  Love Bruce but there were some head scratching moments.  

Back to back SEC wins and 16 wins with seven more games.  Not too shabby 

Archived