Chizik steps down as UNC D-Coordinator

alabamabrown14

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18654904/north-carolina-dc-gene-chizik-resigns-spend-more-family

Just gotta say this was totally out of left field. Family definitely comes first. Being selfish though I wouldn't mind Chizik returning to The Plains in some kind of capacity.

I guess I'm one of the few that likes Chizik and I'm thankful he coached us to a national championship.Hope nothing but the best for him and his family.

21 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I guess I'm one of the few that likes Chizik and I'm thankful he coached us to a national championship.Hope nothing but the best for him and his family.

I am right there with you. The way he handled all the criticism toward Cam, the way he handled the rectal exam that Auburn University took, winning the National Championship, and especially the classy way he left Auburn will always make me grateful that he was our coach at Auburn. He is a stand up guy and represented us well.

27 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Your not alone...good guy that things just did not work out after the good times of 2010.....lots of pressure to follow that type of season

I don't know if it will work this way, but I wouldn't mind having Chizik on our staff as TE / Special Teams coach. I still think Tuberville would make a really good replacement for Jacobs

At this point, he certainly doesn't need the money, so I really don't think he'll be looking for another job right now. I hesitate to speculate on the most likely reason behind this.

Has Au finished paying his buy-out? If not, what it AU's responsibility towards the buy-out now that Chizik has resigned his position at UNC? Is AU responsible for the full amount now that he's not working, or can AU still pay what it was paying while he was at UNC since he voluntarily resigned? 

i will always have big love for coach chiz........

His son is a 2019 grad at Auburn High School.  Apparently started some for the football team as a sophomore and Coach Chizik didn't see him play a down.  As he stated "It's time for me to walk the talk".  That, my friends, is a real man in every sense of the word.  Much respect.

14 hours ago, kd4au said:

I don't know many people who don't like him. We all just knew he was in over his head as a head coach. If we were looking for a DC, I would be willing to bet that most Auburn fans would welcome him back with open arms.  I just hope his decision isn't masking health issues or otherwise, as is often the case with "spend more time with family" resignations.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't know many people who don't like him. We all just knew he was in over his head as a head coach. If we were looking for a DC, I would be willing to bet that most Auburn fans would welcome him back with open arms.  I just hope his decision isn't masking health issues or otherwise, as is often the case with "spend more time with family" retirements.

After the way the last few years have went with Gus,I'm not sure Chizik was the problem.I with you on the health issue hope nothing wrong it is just wanting to spend time with family.

17 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't know many people who don't like him. We all just knew he was in over his head as a head coach. If we were looking for a DC, I would be willing to bet that most Auburn fans would welcome him back with open arms.  I just hope his decision isn't masking health issues or otherwise, as is often the case with "spend more time with family" retirements.

The article states that his family remained in Alabama (probably somewhere around Auburn) when he took the North Carolina job.  Between the workload during the season, and recruiting demands, he probably did not get to spend much time with them since he or they had to fly somewhere to do it.  Unless he has been an idiot with his money, he can afford to wait to work somewhere closer.

22 minutes ago, kd4au said:

After the way the last few years have went with Gus,I'm not sure Chizik was the problem

I'm certain Chizik was the problem. Gus may have on the field issues, mostly stemming from him learning to run a football team, but all of the off the field issues that Chizik had (which really manifested after Gus left) are no where to be seen with Gus's teams. Gus's teams never give up. The are like family on and off the field. Any problems are dealt with quickly and he doesn't have to do things like instill ridiculous curfews to keep his players in check. 

7 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

The article states that his family remained in Alabama (probably somewhere around Auburn) when he took the North Carolina job.  Between the workload during the season, and recruiting demands, he probably did not get to spend much time with them since he or they had to fly somewhere to do it.  Unless he has been an idiot with his money, he can afford to wait to work somewhere closer.

Or just retire all together.

Getting outta town before potential oncoming sanctions? Didn't UNC recently get their third notice of allegations a few months ago?

32 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Getting outta town before potential oncoming sanctions? Didn't UNC recently get their third notice of allegations a few months ago?

If they did, it'll be a few years before the NCAA gets around to doing anything... if they ever do.

Always liked the man as a man, great respect for him as a stand-up person and how he handled everything.  I did not know/realize is family was still in the area and he was two years apart from them.  That can be a very strain on any family relations.  Glad he is willing to put family first. Being there is a big deal.

Heck, he may end up as a volunteer assistant for Auburn High if his kid is still playing football there.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm certain Chizik was the problem. Gus may have on the field issues, mostly stemming from him learning to run a football team, but all of the off the field issues that Chizik had (which really manifested after Gus left) are no where to be seen with Gus's teams. Gus's teams never give up. The are like family on and off the field. Any problems are dealt with quickly and he doesn't have to do things like instill ridiculous curfews to keep his players in check. 

Why are you willing to give Gus a pass as a young coach learning to run a football team and not Chizik?He was a young head coach as well and was still learning how to be a head coach and I think he would have righted the ship if given time,as I hope will be the case with Gus.

11 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Why are you willing to give Gus a pass as a young coach learning to run a football team and not Chizik?He was a young head coach as well and was still learning how to be a head coach and I think he would have righted the ship if given time,as I hope will be the case with Gus.

Chizik's shortcomings put our team in a hole that he could not pull them out of. The team had tuned him out and once that happens you're done for good IMO. The team had quit on the man due to various reasons and once you lose that trust there's no getting it back. JMO but those players needed a different man in charge

18 minutes ago, kd4au said:

What does this have to do with giving anyone a pass?  The reality is that Chizik lost the team.  Gus has never even come close to losing the team.

In any case, people skills are A LOT harder to learn than the general ins and outs of building a successful team, because people skills are based on personality, and personalities don't change. When you have already lost the team, as Chizik had, getting it back is a monumental task, and building an environment where it doesn't happen again is even harder, since it requires a fundamental change in how you deal with the players.

Gus has an inherent knack for working with the players (though, as I have stated, I think Kristy might have a lot to do with that), which is what set him up as a good candidate for making the jump to head coach and makes it so it's not as much of a roll of the dice to let him try to fix what's currently broken. Based on the timing of the team falling apart in 2012, I would be willing to bet he was also the emotional manager of the team under Chizik.

For Malzahn to be a great head coach, he needs to master the ins and outs of building a successful program, which is something every coach learns.  For Chizik to be a great head coach, he had to do all of that, on top of learning how to keep a bunch of testosterone fueled, Type-A personality kids all on the right path amidst huge emotional swings, peer pressure, etc. That, or make sure he always had someone on staff who could take that roll.

(Or what @Tiger said)

Archived