Women vs. South Carolina - Game Thread

WarTiger

Big challenge for Auburn tonight on the road against South Carolina. 

Starters for Auburn:  McKay, Frerking, Montgomery, Jaz. Jones, Jessica Jones.

2nd half has started and I'll try to keep updating but hard to do watching 2 different games.  Softball is also on tonight.  

Frerking with a jumper. 32-18

Hmmmm...down 20+ points....think maybe the softball is the better bet right now....thanks for the updates though...

Final: South Carolina 60 - Auburn 41

This was a TOUGH 3 game stretch. The 5 games we have to close the regular season are much more manageable. Let's beat those UGAly Dawgs on Sunday!

13 hours ago, all4AU said:

Final: South Carolina 60 - Auburn 41

This was a TOUGH 3 game stretch. The 5 games we have to close the regular season are much more manageable. Let's beat those UGAly Dawgs on Sunday!

Yep...USCe and MSU pretty much in a class by themselves....Vandy was destroyed by State last night.  Otherwise it is more balanced.

How great would it be to actually beat a ranked team?  As long as we are playing Sisters of the Poor, we look great.  This dog and pony show is really getting OLD.

19 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

How great would it be to actually beat a ranked team?  As long as we are playing Sisters of the Poor, we look great.  This dog and pony show is really getting OLD.

Well, considering we are in the SEC and there are 2 highly ranked teams (USCe and MSU)....and Tenn at about # 25 (whom we beat)....we don't play many ranked teams.....and as noted,  MSU and USCe are head a shoulder better than everyone else....just  a  fact.  We played a reasonable OOC selection to start the season and beat a few name teams....but not ranked teams as you note...but not the little sisters of the poor either. 

In women's basketball, there is a steep drop from the national top 10 or 15 to the other 120 or so teams.   Interesting that the ACC has a handful of pretty good top 25 teams.....but for whatever reason, the SEC has never been able to develop more than 2 or 3 at a time....and they seem to come and go.....UK and UT a couple years ago and then starting in 2015 I guess, it was MSU and USCe. ...a bit like football has been lately.

Not sure how AU makes it to the next level....

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Well, considering we are in the SEC and there are 2 highly ranked teams (USCe and MSU)....and Tenn at about # 25 (whom we beat)....we don't play many ranked teams.....and as noted,  MSU and USCe are head a shoulder better than everyone else....just  a  fact.  We played a reasonable OOC selection to start the season and beat a few name teams....but not ranked teams as you note...but not the little sisters of the poor either. 

In women's basketball, there is a steep drop from the national top 10 or 15 to the other 120 or so teams.   Interesting that the ACC has a handful of pretty good top 25 teams.....but for whatever reason, the SEC has never been able to develop more than 2 or 3 at a time....and they seem to come and go.....UK and UT a couple years ago and then starting in 2015 I guess, it was MSU and USCe. ...a bit like football has been lately.

Not sure how AU makes it to the next level....

Women's basketball and Auburn football are far apart due to one major difference.  Auburn football recruits at an elite level.  Women's basketball does not.  SEC football was down in 2016, but over the past 10 years the conference has dominated the college landscape.  In the last 6 years, Auburn football has played for two national championships and won one.

USCe and MSU are the best two teams in the conference.  Nobody will dispute that.  Tennessee has as much talent, if not more, as those two.  We were fortunate to beat Tennessee.  We played hard and Tennessee's problems with their team chemistry and overall effort really showed its ugly head that day.  That same Tennessee team has beat Notre Dame and South Carolina, while losing to us and to UGA.  

I am a long time season ticket holder and supporter of women's basketball.  I do not accept losing by 30 to Ms. State as just one of those things that will happen.  We have the resources, the recruiting footprint, the facilities, and the support to be a top tier SEC team.  If our style of play is a problem, I expect that style of play to be modified.  We don't pay a half million bucks a year to anyone to coach women's basketball if that coach isn't willing to be self critical and make changes if necessary.   Personally, I like Terri, but time is running out for this staff if results don't improve.  There is nothing unfair about expecting to have a team that is solidly in the top third of the conference.

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Women's basketball and Auburn football are far apart due to one major difference.  Auburn football recruits at an elite level.  Women's basketball does not.  SEC football was down in 2016, but over the past 10 years the conference has dominated the college landscape.  In the last 6 years, Auburn football has played for two national championships and won one.

USCe and MSU are the best two teams in the conference.  Nobody will dispute that.  Tennessee has as much talent, if not more, as those two.  We were fortunate to beat Tennessee.  We played hard and Tennessee's problems with their team chemistry and overall effort really showed its ugly head that day.  That same Tennessee team has beat Notre Dame and South Carolina, while losing to us and to UGA.  

I am a long time season ticket holder and supporter of women's basketball.  I do not accept losing by 30 to Ms. State as just one of those things that will happen.  We have the resources, the recruiting footprint, the facilities, and the support to be a top tier SEC team.  If our style of play is a problem, I expect that style of play to be modified.  We don't pay a half million bucks a year to anyone to coach women's basketball if that coach isn't willing to be self critical and make changes if necessary.   Personally, I like Terri, but time is running out for this staff if results don't improve.  There is nothing unfair about expecting to have a team that is solidly in the top third of the conference.

Thanks for your support of the women's basketball program....been a tough road for basketball fans of AU teams.     As for your desire to see team solidly in the top 1/3rd...that is certainly a reasonable thing to expect.   I'm just wondering about the talent pool for women's basketball in the state and in our usual recruiting area....seems it might not be to great as even the top basketball programs don't raid the state like they do for male players.  At least a quick check of some rosters does not show an out-flow of female players. Even bama which usually gets the pick of the crop in the state only has 2 players from Alabama. 

Just thinking that until Alabama HS basketball for women moves to a higher plain it's gonna be hard to be more than mediocre......maybe I'm too pessimistic ? :dunno:

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:01 AM, AU9377 said:

Our style of play is not going to change, if that is what is needed. A coach like Terry has her style, and It is so hard to change it, when that is what she is comfortable and experienced with. I think we simply have a style that works well in most cases, but against upper tier teams we will not win much. And ofc, our recruiting is not consistently top level.

Depends what we want from our womens BB. If getting to the NCAA is the main goal, then we may stay with what we have. If the goal is higher, I think changes would have to be made down the road..

On 2/11/2017 at 1:01 AM, AU9377 said:

Great post 77

Archived