2018 4* RB Harold Joiner Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

The jumbo athlete: Harold Joineruncommitted

I don't know if he stays at running back but Joiner is elite at something. He's 6-foot-3, 218 pounds and he clocked in the 4.4 range in the 40 on college clocks last summer. He had the kind of season this fall to make that size and speed relevant. With big backs like Derrick Henry, Jalen Hurd and Bo Scarbrogh all finding success on the next level, there may be a role for a guy like Joiner in the backfield. There's definitely a role for him somewhere.

http://247sports.com/Article/247Sports-recruiting-Get-to-know-the-2018-class-of-running-backs-51330780

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

BOOOOOM!!!!!! I stand corrected.

3 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

^^^^^^I read a headline that he ran a 4.34 forty at a camp IIRC. 

Maybe in shorts on artificial turf with hurricane force winds at his back. But he does not have THAT much game speed. Unless those DBs are Usain Bolt. 

I'm not knocking the kid... At all. Like I said in my original post, I hope we make this kid priority 1. 

2 hours ago, aufan57 said:

Then I dunno. But comparing his film to KJ, KJ was slashing about out running everything on the field. Granted it's not the same level of competition, but watch his film. It's not uncommon for him to be caught from behind. Even on the very first run of his highlights... True its a long TD run, but if the play is 5 yards longer, he doesn't score. At least 2 DBs catch up to him. That my friend is not 4.4 game speed unless those DBs are playing with 4.20 game speed. 

Again, NOT knocking him. I want him. As much as anyone in the class. He could be GREAT here. 

Edited by Auburn2Eugene

imagine how another year of high school will fill out his frame some....you are just seeing his junior film.  Then add the off season and a freshman year.  He will remind me of ....who is that guy that played for us with Cadillac and Brown and ended up with the Giants for several years?  Big back with nimble feet.  He could be something very very special his soph year at Running Back U.

4 minutes ago, Beaker said:

imagine how another year of high school will fill out his frame some....you are just seeing his junior film.  Then add the off season and a freshman year.  He will remind me of ....who is that guy that played for us with Cadillac and Brown and ended up with the Giants for several years?  Big back with nimble feet.  He could be something very very special his soph year at Running Back U.

Brandon Jacobs - His numbers from NFL Combine

Pre-draft measurables
Ht Wt 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP
6 ft 4¼ in 267 lb 4.56 s 1.69 s 2.72 s 4.49 s 7.54 s 37 in 9 ft 10 in 19 reps
All values from NFL Combine[12]
Edited by aufan57
  • Like 1

Just now, aufan57 said:

Brandon Jacobs

yup.  Thanks    A unique back who got lost in the shuffle I think, but there is only one ball.... Joiner could develop into such a back.  

22 minutes ago, Beaker said:

He won't be Brandon Jacobs big IMO.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

He won't be Brandon Jacobs big IMO.

I agree, and it's a good thing IMO. My only concern about this kid is his height. There's a reason there aren't many RBs that tall. That length makes it hard for them to get their shoulders down at the point of contact and they lose a lot more battles than they win because of it. There are a few notable exceptions, but they are definitely exceptions. As for the tall kids at bama, they are often in 3rd or 4th gear by the time there's any contact because of the holes their OL gives them. A lot harder to tackle a Derrick Henry low when he's already got those tree trunks churning at full speed. 

Joiner looks very good. He'll see the field for Auburn. I just won't be surprised if it's not at RB, or at least at a traditional RB spot. Urban Meyer did a great job of using kids like this- especially Trey Burton- at Florida as multi purpose tight ends. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I agree, and it's a good thing IMO. My only concern about this kid is his height. There's a reason there aren't many RBs that tall. That length makes it hard for them to get their shoulders down at the point of contact and they lose a lot more battles than they win because of it. There are a few notable exceptions, but they are definitely exceptions. As for the tall kids at bama, they are often in 3rd or 4th gear by the time there's any contact because of the holes their OL gives them. A lot harder to tackle a Derrick Henry low when he's already got those tree trunks churning at full speed. 

Joiner looks very good. He'll see the field for Auburn. I just won't be surprised if it's not at RB, or at least at a traditional RB spot. Urban Meyer did a great job of using kids like this- especially Trey Burton- at Florida as multi purpose tight ends. 

To his credit though Joiner shows more bend & flexability in his hips than many guys his height.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

To his credit though Joiner shows more bend & flexability in his hips than many guys his height.

You make a good point. Certainly a lot more than Jacobs did. 

I am not making a comparison, but wondering how he would compare to Eric Dickerson at the same age.  Both tall, both run erect/upright, strong....can a comparison be made?

I know Dickerson ran through  a lot of contact and had more speed, but I only saw him play maybe once at SMU, on TV.   The back he was with the RAMS was probably different, but so is the NFL game.

I think he could be a 'freakish' kinda weapon in the arsenal.  Crazy year for backs...I think he could be incredible in our offense if I understand the direction we are going.  

22 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am not making a comparison, but wondering how he would compare to Eric Dickerson at the same age.  Both tall, both run erect/upright, strong....can a comparison be made? 

The metrics are there, for sure. Hard to say beyond that but if his hips and vision are even a poor, POOR man's imitation of Dickerson's, that would be kinda awesome. 

• Like 2

I always assumed joiner would end up somewhere other than RB because of height.  He was a solid basketball player.  He is also running behind a relatively small OL at mtn brook.

btw... mtn brook sends about 150 students to Bama and 100 to auburn every year.  Definitely a Bama high school but has a strong auburn contingent also.

SECCountry article

Auburn’s biggest running back target

It’s a regular theme in these notebooks: Trust Auburn’s ability to find serviceable running backs.

Whether it’s a 5-star prodigy or a 3-star unknown, Auburn’s running backs coach has had a knack of finding the right running back for the Tigers. Some players have fizzled out, but Auburn has been able to — without exception, really — find one or more running backs who can produce in every recruiting class since 2013.

The search begins for the 2018 class.

Asa Martin and Tae Provens have been mentioned recently as top options. Master Teague III (more below) entered the equation Tuesday. Lorenzo Lingard looks solid as can be after his recent commitment to Miami. And, of course, Shaun Shivers already is on board.

Another name that Auburn fans will hear a lot of throughout this entire recruiting cycle: Harold Joiner.

He’s massive for a tailback, which is the position he wants to play at the next level. At 6-foot-3 and 218 pounds, Joiner doesn’t look like a typical running back. He’s often asked whether he will try to convert to another position — generally receiver because of his great hands.

That doesn’t appear to be an issue with Auburn.

“They just say to me that I’m a high priority,” Joiner said. “Coach Gus (Malzahn) asked if I liked a certain position. I said tailback. He wants what’s best for me. He can adjust.”

Joiner is a regular Auburn attendee.

He visited multiple times during the 2016 football season. He was on the Plains most recently for the Tigers’ junior day and he’ll be back for spring practices. All in all, Joiner said it’s been “over eight times” that he’s visited Auburn, which is — far and away — the most visits he’s made to any program.

Auburn football-Gus Malzahn-Auburn recruiting
Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn (Matthew Stockman/Getty Images)

Normally, prospects have one coach who focuses on their recruitment. Another sign of Joiner’s priority treatment, he’s receiving much more staff-wide attention than most.

“Coach Gus, the new offensive coordinator (Chip Lindsey), the defensive coordinator (Kevin Steele), coach (Rodney) Garner,” Joiner said. “Really all of them.”

With Joiner’s measurables, you’d think the 3-star running back would have offers from everyone.

For some reason, that hasn’t quite happened yet. Auburn and Ole Miss jumped on board early last fall, joining schools such as Troy, UAB and Southern Miss. Since Joiner attended Auburn’s junior day — when he listed FAU, Auburn and Ole Miss as his leaders — Joiner has received offers from Syracuse, Missouri, South Carolina and Memphis.

Other programs have been in contact. Alabama is one he’s waiting on. But Auburn continues to sit in solid position regardless of other offers Joiner receives.

“I just feel like I would fit good if I were to go here,” Joiner said. “I’ll probably wait until senior year signing day.”

Boo. This kid deserves to be a 4*. 

That being said, I can't believe he is going to wait until signing day. That's pretty uncommon for 3*s isn't it? 

17 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Boo. This kid deserves to be a 4*. 

That being said, I can't believe he is going to wait until signing day. That's pretty uncommon for 3*s isn't it? 

Nope. There are over a thousand 3*s come NSD. A good number of them won't commit til near NSD.

• Like 1

A lot of 3* players wait till signing day as they are on the bubble with a team they like  so to have a chance with that team they need to find out if that team has an opening. It is that or commit to smebody and at the last minute when you get the offer you wanted pull the rug out from the team that you committed to.

37 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

A lot of 3* players wait till signing day as they are on the bubble with a team they like  so to have a chance with that team they need to find out if that team has an opening. It is that or commit to smebody and at the last minute when you get the offer you wanted pull the rug out from the team that you committed to.

If we get an early signing period, it may change how recruits and coaches handle their decision process.  I think it will add some interesting situations to an already interesting process.

12 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

As deep as this class is with RB's, there's no way he makes into this class unless he commits earlier than NSD.

I think he will make it into this class because of his size and athleticism either at another position or because also fits the big back type Auburn likes.

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:
12 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

As deep as this class is with RB's, there's no way he makes into this class unless he commits earlier than NSD.

I think he will make it into this class because of his size and athleticism either at another position or because also fits the big back type Auburn likes.

Agree... I think he's a take as an athlete... if he's willing to come in as one.

he will have a choice:  Auburn as prob a TE or similar or maybe a non SEC school as a RB.  Or maybe UK or Vandy as a RB....I would love to see him at Auburn with his gifts.  You never know how things turn out.  Case in point: Stanton Truitt 

Similar gifts, but Joiner is much much bigger.