Larry Porter New Offensive Assistant

ClaytonAU

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's the last time he was at a school that can recruit 5*s other than 1 year at Texas which was a revolving crap show then.

And d'onta foreman isn't too bad 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Is he tall, yellow, and have connections in Texas ?

I'd  have to give y'all up...not worth it

28 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Pretty sure Hood was a kid a lot of teams wanted

True but he wasn't a 5* on the composite at least. Plainsman specified 5*.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

yeah...interesting that a coach who will get fired after this year is able to bring in such good assistants, gets Stidham signed up....and also lands a pretty good recruiting class. 

Do you think people on this board a missing something?   :dunno:

All true but Gus is going all out to make changes and there is a reason for it. Gus knows what has to happen its all in his hands. Lets all hope it works out for him and AU.

6 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Thanks E.  So he has not landed a 5* recruit since 2009?  

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

That's the last time he was at a school that can recruit 5*s other than 1 year at Texas which was a revolving crap show then.

O.k so let me back up, I am happy with the hire so please note that, but to label someone an elite recruiter because of his success rate at LSU only is kind of reaching imo. LSU always-always recruits 5* players.   Always.  

6 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

O.k so let me back up, I am happy with the hire so please note that, but to label someone an elite recruiter because of his success rate at LSU only is kind of reaching imo. LSU always-always recruits 5* players.   Always.  

Not from Texas at the rate he was pulling em in.

7 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Every sports reporter and recruiting analyst report I've read has referred to Porter as an elite recruiter. It is a consensus that this is a great hire. 

agree. And he basically is a clone of McGriff when it comes to recruiting, it just so happens he coaches on the offensive side of the ball..We needed that type of recruiter in the mix, as we slipped just a little this year.

al.com

Who is Larry Porter? 10 things to know about Auburn's newest assistant coach

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Larry Porter is the newest member of Auburn's coaching staff.

The former North Carolina running backs coach and special teams coordinator for the last three seasons was hired by Auburn on Saturday, filling the vacancy on the coaching staff left by Scott Fountain, who was relieved of his duties as tight ends coach and special teams coordinator earlier in the week. Porter will serve as tight ends/H-backs coach and recruiting coordinator, the team announced Saturday afternoon, while running backs coach Tim Horton will oversee special teams.

Here are other things to know about the newest member of Auburn's coaching staff:

-- Porter has been a college coach since 1998, when he got his start with Tennessee-Martin. All but two of his seasons in the college ranks have come as a running backs coach, as he served as Memphis' head coach from 2010-11. He also has stops at Arkansas State, Oklahoma State, LSU, Arizona State and Texas.

-- Porter was named the 247Sports National Recruiter of the Year in 2009 while at LSU. He earned the same honor from Rivals in 2009 and 2007.

Porter to Auburn 'a big deal' in recruiting world

Porter to Auburn 'a big deal' in recruiting world

Rivals.com named Porter its National Recruiter of the Year twice

-- Porter went to Memphis, where he was a running back from 1990-93. He rushed for 2,194 yards and 20 touchdowns in his career, ranking seventh in program history in yardage and tied for fifth in rushing touchdowns.

-- Like Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn, Porter got his coaching career started in the high school ranks. Porter was first hired at Memphis' Wooddale High, where he was the head track and field coach and helped coach running backs and defensive backs for two seasons before being hired at UT-Martin in 1998.

-- As a running backs coach, Porter has produced eight 1,000-yard rushers during his career. In 2015, UNC's Elijah Wood rushed for 1,463 yards and 17 touchdowns. In 2008, LSU's Charles Scott rushed for 1,174 yards and 18 touchdowns, while Jacob Hester had 1,103 yards in 2007. In all three seasons at Oklahoma State from 2002-04, the Cowboys finished with a 1,000-yard rusher under Porter: Tatum Bell rushed for 1,096 yards in 2002 and 1,286 in 2003, and Vernard Morency had 1,474 yards in 2004. In 2000 and 2001 at Arkansas State, Jonathan Adams put together back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons under Porter, rushing for 1,002 yards in 2000 and 1,004 yards in 2001.

-- Porter has won one national championship during his coaching career, doing so while an assistant at LSU during the 2007 season.

-- In 2015, under Porter's tutelage, North Carolina finished second in the ACC with 224.43 rushing yards per game, a mark that ranked 18th in the nation. The Tar Heels had the nation's most improved rushing attack that season, averaging 1.99 yards per carry more than they did in 2014.

-- Several of Porter's former players have moved on to the NFL, including Dontari Poe, Jacob Hester, Joseph Addai, Quinn Johnson, Trindon Holliday, Charles Scott and Tatum Bell. Since 2004, Porter has coached four running backs who have been selected in the first three rounds of the NFL Draft: Hester (2008), Bell (2004), Morency (2005) and Addai (2006), the latter being a first-round selection by the Indianapolis Colts.

-- Porter was making $279,125 annually at North Carolina, according to the USA Today assistant coaches salary database. He was tied for the sixth-highest paid assistant on staff and was making as much as then-defensive coordinator and former Auburn head coach Gene Chizik, who stepped down from his position on Thursday.   

-- Porter is married and has three children. His wife's name is Sharmane, and their three children are Brandon, Omari and Olivia.

5 minutes ago, FASTCOMPANY said:

I've seen Garner, Horton, and now Porter listed as recruiting coordinator. Is this a musical chairs type of job, or just a means to give a bump in pay? 

It's mainly just a title to get more money. Support coach Patrick Suddes is the real Recruiting Coordinator for all intents & purposes.

20 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Any chance Suddes could move up into a new role if we get a 10th assistant? And replace him with someone new?

I have no inside but would think no. I know he was at bama and some NFL but what side of the ball? I honestly don't know enough about him, but would like to see 1 more home run.

4 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Any chance Suddes could move up into a new role if we get a 10th assistant? And replace him with someone new?

No. He was hired specifically to be the head of player personnel.

2 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Very good hire by Gus.  We need more like this one. This one is very different from the Kodi hire.

wde

Kodi is Chip's boy so he's Gucci for a while.

55 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Do we think Horton moves on after this year? Would Porter then be able to slide over? 

Phan is implying he thinks he could be gone sooner. I'm not going to give it real thought til something actually happens or there's a lot of smoke.

Archived