Softball vs. BYU - Game Thread

WarTiger

Great defensive game overall.  Martin goes the distance, pitches the shut-out.  Two errors, both by Cooper (don't expect to see that again) but did not hurt us in runs.

Offensively, only 3 runs on 3 hits.  Didn't leave a bunch of runners on base (we did first couple of games) but didn't get that many on base. Have got to improve on the run production.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truly, I expect to see more offense this early in the season . My sense is that we have the pitching to prevent anyone from running up a big inning but we will be needing more than two or three runs per game when conference time comes. 

Very happy with the 3-1 result in this series, including the win over Oklahoma.  Troubled by the lack of bat production.  Hopefully, we can get our swings back against competition that is a step down from what we've seen.  Cooper had an absolutely dismal series, committing all three Auburn errors and netting only two hits in 4 games.  Maybe leadoff isn't the spot for her.  A bouquet to KK Crocker, who struck out on a neck-high pitch to end the Washington game, but came back with RBI hits in the last two games.

6 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Very happy with the 3-1 result in this series, including the win over Oklahoma.  Troubled by the lack of bat production.  Hopefully, we can get our swings back against competition that is a step down from what we've seen.  Cooper had an absolutely dismal series, committing all three Auburn errors and netting only two hits in 4 games.  Maybe leadoff isn't the spot for her.  A bouquet to KK Crocker, who struck out on a neck-high pitch to end the Washington game, but came back with RBI hits in the last two games.

That's a huge over reaction, IMO.  She only had 2 official at bats  in 3 of those games because they walked her so much.   The errors are an anomaly and not the norm.  Not the least bit concerned after 4 games.  Every team we played in this opening weekend was either ranked or receiving votes in the polls.  It was by far the toughest opening weekend in Auburn history and we came out of it 3-1.

Yep.  Great results overall.  With a lot of new faces, we need time get in the groove offensively and for everyone to know their roles. Our pitching is phenomenal.  Think we jump Oklahoma for #1? If OU finishes 3-1 also, we did beat them head to head,  but we lost to#13. They lost to #2. I just find it a curious discussion this week. 

If Florida beats Michigan today and USF tomorrow, they might jump Auburn and Oklahoma for #1. Very early in the season. This weekend will be great for our RPI, which is the ranking that really matters. 

my primary concern...despite 3-1 record I think we were out hit in every game....but made good use of the ones we got.  

And until the hitting picks up, Cooper is not going to see many good pitches.   I was happy that she was patient at the plate and did not chase bad pitches.. As we discussed pre-season....teams are going to pitch around her until the rest of the line-up makes them pay for doing so. 

3-1 in that series is a good start to the season. 

Offense needs to pick up!  With the talent we have, I believe it will. 

It looks like we have another really good shot at a deep NCAA tourney run.  3rd time is the charm. Let's bring home a National Championship this year!!!

Softball after all of 4 games reminds me of floridas team last year. Great pitching and defense but lacked more pop in the lineup. BUUUT good thing its only been 4 games and all vs elite to really good teams! We will get better with the bats. WAR DAMN EAGLES LADIES! Great way to close out the tourney!

3 hours ago, all4AU said:

If Florida beats Michigan today and USF tomorrow, they might jump Auburn and Oklahoma for #1. Very early in the season. This weekend will be great for our RPI, which is the ranking that really matters. 

When you are playing in a conference the caliber of the SEC the RPI doesn't matter much if at all.  The RPI is more relevant to teams in smaller conferences and if/when they play up in competition and get a win.   RPI isn't going to decide whether we make the tournament or not.  WINNING will do that.  

Washington beat Oklahoma 1-0 to finish 3-1 in the tourney, beating #1 and #2 along the way.  I would say they have to feel good winning this tourney.  Just think if Snow had stayed with them too. UW looks like they could make a run.  And we were a couple of outs away from beating them. 

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Washington beat Oklahoma 1-0 to finish 3-1 in the tourney, beating #1 and #2 along the way.  I would say they have to feel good winning this tourney.  Just think if Snow had stayed with them too. UW looks like they could make a run.  And we were a couple of outs away from beating them. 

A strong tournament but UW still the surprise I guess.  Shows what a dominant pitcher can do and how far she can take a team.....like Parker last year for OK.   AU going about things a different way using the "staff" approach....time will tell what works best though Ok went out and got another top starter in Lawry who is just a notch behind Parker and gives them depth too.    

Some outstanding teams in the sport and will be interesting to see which ones end up as Regional hosts when the season is over. AU has as good a chance as the others mentioned....and the tournament is a second season where getting the Regional is a major advantage.   

22 hours ago, AU64 said:

Some outstanding teams in the sport and will be interesting to see which ones end up as Regional hosts when the season is over. AU has as good a chance as the others mentioned....and the tournament is a second season where getting the Regional is a major advantage.   

Coming out of that trip at 3-1 is an overall positive.  Pitching normally starts ahead of hitting, but our bats were abnormally cold from top to bottom.  No one player really got dialed in.  Maybe Veach for a few AB's, but then had some dismal other AB's.  The good news is we are 3-1, have some talented players, and a great hitting coach.  I know we'll see it improve over the next few weeks, yes some in part to the change in quality of pitching, but I still like our chances once SEC play rolls around.  Our pitching was consistent, so that is also a positive.  Defensively, we will be fine.  Cooper's 3 errors are more of an anomaly.  She won't let it continue.   Although those were the only 3 errors, we still have room to improve and we should.  Some other balls were misplayed that should be outs, but no error was given on the play.  McCrackin and Crocker both seemed to settle in and make plays at 2B, so that is good.  Seeing some of the highlights from the other teams around the country, we seemed in line with them with it looking like it was the first weekend of play.  We should be able to compete with anyone.

Archived