Ole Miss Post Game

tigerbrotha12

2 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Got to put this one on BP. We were absolutely running OM out of the gym in the 1st half, not even realizing there was a shot clock. In the start of the second half, we came out milking the clock inside of 10 seconds about the first 7-8 possessions while OM attacked our defense  BP has got to realize that we have a bunch of young thoroughbreds and we need to just let them run when they have it going on like in the first half. Don't do anything to slow down our momentum!

BP is a good coach, and AU is lucky to have him but he has pulled a lot of head scratchers this year imo, but it is what it is. He's done a great job getting talent to AU but he hasnt really done anything with that talent that any other coach in the SEC couldnt do. Maybe this will be a big enough embarrassment that the team will step up and grow up. We can hope.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gr82be said:

Sort of the basketball equivalent to Georgia in football. Sad but true on both accounts that Auburn finds a way to lose to certain teams. 

good point. we should of beat ole miss both times this year and everyone knows all about the last 2 years vs uga in fball.

Bruce Pearl is pissed with the officiating.   Ole Miss went to the foul line 31 times to Auburn's 8 times.  SEC officiating is suspect

Wow, if you didn't hear the post game show with Bruce Pearl, check it out.  He is pissed.  He said, "This is the most disappointing loss since he has been at Auburn."  He was noticeably upset and Rod didn't ask him too many questions.

6 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

BP is a good coach, and AU is lucky to have him but he has pulled a lot of head scratchers this year imo, but it is what it is. He's done a great job getting talent to AU but he hasnt really done anything with that talent that any other coach in the SEC couldnt do. Maybe this will be a big enough embarrassment that the team will step up and grow up. We can hope.

Yes, not disagreeing,  but my point is that when you are stomping a mudhole in somebody in Bball, you don't make any changes in strategy to slow down the momentum. that's what we did to start the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. By that time, OM had grabbed all the momentum and we never got it back. If we had come out running and gunning to start the 2nd half like we ended the 1st half, this would have been an AU blowout.

2 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

I'm a fan of First Half Auburn.  I turn off the game at halftime so I won't get depressed

I'm at the point where I don't care if I see the game or not. If something better comes along, I do that. If I have absolutely nothing to do, I watch parts of the game. This team doesn't give a damn enough to actually give full effort for a whole game so I don't give full effort to watch. Maybe next year.  I do appreciate that we are better than we have been in years. We have Bruce to thank for that and he deserves that credit. However I enjoy much more watching lesser quality players give 110 percent than I do watching high quality players give 50 percent. It's infuriating to be honest. That is on everyone involved. It's the coaches responsibility to not be so soft that our players fear nothing when they completely fold up shop for half a game. It's our players responsibility to not be so soft that 20 point leads are meaningless. This is a failure on all parts. I've said all year that this staff is not quite right. A good staff would never allow this amount of lazy play regardless of the situation.  Next year there are zero excuses. It's tournament or Bruce needs to retool the entire staff. This year we have the youth excuse. Next year we will have more players returning than most teams. Next year this staff better step it up or they should all be replaced (other than Bruce). 

Bruce Pearl is pissed with the officiating.   Ole Miss went to the foul line 31 times to Auburn's 8 times.  SEC officiating is suspect

I'm not usually a guy that points the finger at officiating but the discrepancy is unbelievable. There's no way to justify that few called against OM. 

If you saw the game, AU shot mostly 3 point shots and did not force OM to play defense.   By and large, we did not go to the hole and force the action.  OM killed us inside and nobody was able to actually stop them....lazy defense and generally out of position players grabbing at the shooters. .

AU's style of play was  the primary cause of the foul disparity....and lazy defense in the second half. 

2 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Yes, not disagreeing,  but my point is that when you are stomping a mudhole in somebody in Bball, you don't make any changes in strategy to slow down the momentum. that's what we did to start the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. By that time, OM had grabbed all the momentum and we never got it back. If we had come out running and gunning to start the 2nd half like we ended the 1st half, this would have been an AU blowout.

I agree with what you said. I was just saying its not the first in game decision BP has made that left me wondering what he was thinking. Im a big BP fan, but I would not rate this season as one of his best performances. It seems hes been too careful with this team and tried to make coaching decisions to take pressure off of them instead of letting them figure it out for themselves, and he's left with a team that still hasnt figured it out and doesnt know how to step up to the plate when its time to. Jmo 

11 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Yeah, lets run them off. They are killing AU basketball. SMH.

Good recruiting doesn't require hard nosed coaching. I suppose you completely missed where Bruce himself admitted they are not hard on this team because "they don't handle it well"?  He's admitted himself they are soft right there. If you read anything else I've posted I've criticized this staff all year, not just tonight. No Bruce does not need to go. Yes if this staff doesn't get it done next year they need to be run off (everyone but Bruce). These guys make too much money from US to be shielded from any criticism. 

Once again, we're incredible when we win- when we lose, the coaching staff should be fired. I promise you there is a middle ground. The sky is not falling. Auburn Basketball has their best record through 25 games in quite some time. Chill out.

Just now, FoundationEagle said:

Good recruiting doesn't require hard nosed coaching. I suppose you completely missed where Bruce himself admitted they are not hard on this team because "they don't handle it well"?  He's admitted himself they are soft right there. If you read anything else I've posted I've criticized this staff all year, not just tonight. No Bruce does not need to go. Yes if this staff doesn't get it done next year they need to be run off (everyone but Bruce). These guys make too much money from US to be shielded from any criticism. 

I'm not sure I've seen much else from you other that criticism. If you aren't enjoying the games, then it's understandable if you decide to just avoid them like you said you do when you have other things going on. Yes, we want AU to be good, but this is Bruce's third different team in 3 years. You can call him soft all you want but until there's stability, it's going to be like this. AU was missing 2 key players. Imagine if Wiley hadn't finished HS early this year and Spencer was out like he is. You have McLemore and Smith inside all game. AU wouldn't beat anyone with that lineup.

Losing 23 point leads sucks yes. But it's like you guys bought into the bubble talk. AU was NEVER going to make the NCAAs. It's been about the NIT all year and still is. The NCAA talk bugged me to no end because this isn't an NCAA team. Period. 

8 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I agree with what you said. I was just saying its not the first in game decision BP has made that left me wondering what he was thinking. Im a big BP fan, but I would not rate this season as one of his best performances. It seems hes been too careful with this team and tried to make coaching decisions to take pressure off of them instead of letting them figure it out for themselves, and he's left with a team that still hasnt figured it out and doesnt know how to step up to the plate when its time to. Jmo 

Agree, letting 1 player score 26 points in 1 half is inexcusable. there are several ways to prevent this. the best way to prevent it is to run a box and 1 or diamond and 1. When 1 player takes over a game like #3 did, it is contageous to his teammates and creates a runaway locomotive like we saw tonight. You have got to find a way not to let 1 player beat you. It's not that hard.

For those who are pissed off with the coaches... just stop!  There is LITERALLY no one on god's green earth who could do any more for Auburn Basketball than Bruce Pearl has done in less than 3 years.

AU is not a basketball school... and it sure as hell isn't gonna become one overnight.  He has brought excitement to this program that we haven't seen before!  Should we be lucky enough to have Bruce stay here for a long time, he WILL succeed!  He's a winner, he WILL win... but it will take time (expecially at a place like Auburn).

Bruce Pearl just showed again that there's more to coaching than recruiting and cheerleading.  Totally different team in the 2nd half....again can't hold a lead.  Out hustled and out coached again.

4 minutes ago, Altima said:

For those who are pissed off with the coaches... just stop!  There is LITERALLY no one on god's green earth who could do any more for Auburn Basketball than Bruce Pearl has done in less than 3 years.

AU is not a basketball school... and it sure as hell isn't gonna become one overnight.  He has brought excitement to this program that we haven't seen before!  Should we be lucky enough to have Bruce stay here for a long time, he WILL succeed!  He's a winner, he WILL win... but it will take time (expecially at a place like Auburn).

You're missing the point .   Bruce Pearl is the best thing to ever happen to Auburn basketball,  but he is not an in game coach.   We don't have an in game coach .   We need to go get an in game coach 

Archived