Ole Miss Post Game

tigerbrotha12

13 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

No one has suggested Bruce be replaced. Period. No one. 

People have suggested concerns in the support staff. That is a valid concern. I also don't believe anyone has suggested any of them should be replaced this year. After next year if we still have some of these issues then it's something to look at. That is all anyone has said. 

Sorry I sometimes feel some of the Bruce criticisms allude to "we should have a better coach" after every time we lose a game. I may be reaching I can admit that. I agree on the support staff though. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, AU64 said:

And listed at 6-5, Heron plays hard and big.....guy pretty much living up to his star ranking.  Don't know what kind of NBA career he  might have .....I guess he is what people used to call a "tweener".....but he will be an outstanding college player and I hope he hangs around for his full eligibility. 

I don't see Heron as a tweener. He is a SG through and through IMO. I don't know if his rebound rate is so high because we suck at rebounding or if he's a very good rebounder for his position. Possibly a combination of both.

He is good enough that he can probably leave after next season. He is not a 4 year college player IMO.

41 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't see Heron as a tweener. He is a SG through and through IMO. I don't know if his rebound rate is so high because we suck at rebounding or if he's a very good rebounder for his position. Possibly a combination of both.

He is good enough that he can probably leave after next season. He is not a 4 year college player IMO.

I agree he is not a tweener as a SG He is our most consistent scorer and re-bounder. For him to go to the next level after next year he will have to improve his outside shooting and his defense. While he is very very good he is not instant offense so unless he improves his defense and his 3 point shot  while he might go after next year he would be a late round draft pick at best. If he continues to improve next year in those two areas then he could move up in the draft and we could lose him after next year. Right now I don't see him leaving after next year.

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree he is not a tweener as a SG He is our most consistent scorer and re-bounder. For him to go to the next level after next year he will have to improve his outside shooting and his defense. While he is very very good he is not instant offense so unless he improves his defense and his 3 point shot  while he might go after next year he would be a late round draft pick at best. If he continues to improve next year in those two areas then he could move up in the draft and we could lose him after next year. Right now I don't see him leaving after next year.

I agree with most of what you're saying and 100% of your assessment of his game. The thing that worries me about our guys leaving early is that the kids' decisions these days are not necessarily tied to how polished they are or how beefy their statistical production is. If the kids can show some type of flash of what could be the NBA will take you -- I'm looking at you, currently-garbage Skal Labissiere.

29 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He's a 43% 3-point shooter on the season, 46.5% in conference play. That season percentage ranks him 4th in the SEC this year. And his PPG average has him ranked 9th in the SEC. I do think he has work to do to be a drafted player, but I don't think his outside shooting is a major issue with him.

Been traveling and just now back where I can really digest the Ole Miss game. 26 points off turnovers, all the fouls, the points in the second half, all point to mental toughness. Can't be surprised that is an issue considering the youth, but it isn't just a young thing. Dunans showed bad judgment most of the game. He was pulling 3s and spotted up several times where he wanted to shoot but didn't get the ball. That isn't his game, his release and motion is not good form and will not produce high percentages, he is a slasher and creator and needs to embrace that role again. 

Mental toughness affects the abilities to handle all circumstances, when a game goes bad, and when a game goes well. We haven't learned to maintain that intensity/engagement level that is needed. 

The truly disappointing thing about this game is we were within striking distance of real NCAA consideration. While the road loss to a top 100 team only cost us 8 points in the RPI, now at 66, we just don't have time to make up for loses that should have been wins. I still think this is a post season team, NIT likely, but with this loss we still have work to due there. 

These crazy kids could turn around a beat UF tonight and really flip the script tough. 

Heron...a tweener...or not...just an opinion but I watch a lot of basketball and just about every good team I watch seems to have a guy about his size who can shoot lights out...moves as well or better than MH with the ball and has better stats.  And a question could be asked as to how much he has developed his game this year as a SC prospect. 

Now someone might convince him to jump this year rather than wait a couple years...but at this moment, he is just one of many really good players with the potential to make it to the NBA some day...JMO

38 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Heron...a tweener...or not...just an opinion but I watch a lot of basketball and just about every good team I watch seems to have a guy about his size who can shoot lights out...moves as well or better than MH with the ball and has better stats.  And a question could be asked as to how much he has developed his game this year as a SC prospect. 

Now someone might convince him to jump this year rather than wait a couple years...but at this moment, he is just one of many really good players with the potential to make it to the NBA some day...JMO

I agree. I just hope that the people he talks to in the future give him good advice. If he leaves to early  he may have to go play in Europe and get lost  I think with the right development and his work ethic he can develop into a true NBA player and make a lot of money. The super talented kids who know they will go in 1st 2 rounds should go as if they got hurt they will have lost a lot of money. It is the talented kids that need more development I worry about. Those kids need to be level headed and get honest evaluations from people in the know and leave school when they are really ready be it after 1 year, 2 years or 3 years.

Wow I didn't realize Heron's numbers were that impressive. Top 10 in SEC scoring, his 3pt FG% is high but he doesn't shoot that many 3s but his rebounding numbers are the best in the entire conference from the Guard spot according to ESPN. To piggy back on what @AuburnNTexas and @AU64 have mentioned, it's all about the advice they get from the people around them. There have been wayyy worse players leave after 1 year than Mustapha Heron.

38 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Wow I didn't realize Heron's numbers were that impressive. Top 10 in SEC scoring, his 3pt FG% is high but he doesn't shoot that many 3s but his rebounding numbers are the best in the entire conference from the Guard spot according to ESPN. To piggy back on what @AuburnNTexas and @AU64 have mentioned, it's all about the advice they get from the people around them. There have been wayyy worse players leave after 1 year than Mustapha Heron.

True, he has good numbers on the SEC scale but on the national stats list, he is nowhere to be seen . Auburn style of play will keep his stats down.... but he still has a long way to go before seeing time in the NBA. It would be nice to see him there but I don't think it is going to happen next year.

I've been really disappointed after ole miss. We should've had that but that being said if we can somehow win tonight I'd be thrilled. It wouldn't reverse he damage of ole miss but tonight's huge for SEC tournament standing and all that good stuff. Need this one, but I'm not expecting anything 

Lucky for us there aren't many teams that can stick with us when we are actually in our groove. We just haven't been able to stay in our groove for 40 mins against P5 competition lol. But due to our high ceiling we have a shot against anyone -- even Florida. Can't ever tell with our young group what you're going to get from TV timeout to TV timeout but if we get hot we can can cause lots of problems for our opponents. As disappointed as I was after Ole Miss this team is so up and down I wouldn't be surprised if we pull this one out vs Florida just as I won't be surprised if they pummel us.

11 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Lucky for us there aren't many teams that can stick with us when we are actually in our groove. We just haven't been able to stay in our groove for 40 mins against P5 competition lol. But due to our high ceiling we have a shot against anyone -- even Florida. Can't ever tell with our young group what you're going to get from TV timeout to TV timeout but if we get hot we can can cause lots of problems for our opponents. As disappointed as I was after Ole Miss this team is so up and down I wouldn't be surprised if we pull this one out vs Florida just as I won't be surprised if they pummel us.

the game against mercer illustrates it ain't just power 5 schools either. we take our foot off the gas vs everyone! haha

51 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

the game against mercer illustrates it ain't just power 5 schools either. we take our foot off the gas vs everyone! haha

So true...at least this UF game is close so we hopefully the guys stay locked in

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

It's not just stats it's like business it's the overall market, this class coming out is much too deep for him to think he'd go first round, maybe this past class but this class coming up? No way in hell. I don't know if you remember before the season started I said we had some nice talent coming in but not anybody like....then I named off like 5 guys. Every one of those guys will come out and be lottery picks. And most are guards. 

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's not just stats it's like business it's the overall market, this class coming out is much too deep for him to think he'd go first round, maybe this past class but this class coming up? No way in hell. I don't know if you remember before the season started I said we had some nice talent coming in but not anybody like....then I named off like 5 guys. Every one of those guys will come out and be lottery picks. And most are guards. 

I agree with you and that's the logical way of looking at it but there have been too many head scratching decisions to count regarding guys leaving early because of them getting poor advice. But this class is one of the strongest ones in a while so none of our guys should be leaving early. We don't have one and done talent despite some on the board prior to the season speculating who can leave after a year. 

Totally agree on the stats. And to take it a step further it's not about the stats at all when it comes to how the NBA views the prospects. It's all based on potential future production but I don't need to tell you that. Usually the guys that lead the nation in statistical categories are guys from mid-major conferences anyway. I don't remember the names you mentioned but we aren't picking from the one and done pool anyway we're getting players from the tier right below that -- and that's not a bad thing right now IMO.

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

I agree with you and that's the logical way of looking at it but there have been too many head scratching decisions to count regarding guys leaving early because of them getting poor advice. But this class is one of the strongest ones in a while so none of our guys should be leaving early. We don't have one and done talent despite some on the board prior to the season speculating who can leave after a year. 

Totally agree on the stats. And to take it a step further it's not about the stats at all when it comes to how the NBA views the prospects. It's all based on potential future production but I don't need to tell you that. Usually the guys that lead the nation in statistical categories are guys from mid-major conferences anyway. I don't remember the names you mentioned but we aren't picking from the one and done pool anyway we're getting players from the tier right below that -- and that's not a bad thing right now IMO.

There has been crazy decisions, I agree. But I still think they were made in weak drafts and that's why they tried it. Plus this kid's dad is a coach and right there with him, I don't see anybody taking advantage of him, Purifoy maybe

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

There has been crazy decisions, I agree. But I still think they were made in weak drafts and that's why they tried it. Plus this kid's dad is a coach and right there with him, I don't see anybody taking advantage of him, Purifoy maybe

Good points

Archived