11 Position Battles To Watch

ScottsboroAuburnFan

http://auburn.247sports.com/ContentGallery/The-11-position-battles-to-watch-entering-Auburn-Tigers-spring-p-51249454

#11, PR

#10, Punter

#9, Nickel

#8, RT

#7, TE

#6, Field CB

#5, LG

#4, LT 

#3, DT

#2, Buck LB/DE

#1, QB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Ya think?

I might've moved the OLs up a bit.

Eh, QB is the most important, but won't be the most interesting competition to watch. OL, DL, & Secondary in that order for me across the board as far as positions. 

I agree. I don't think QB is going to be much of a competition. 

How the OL and Secondary shakes out will be very interesting. 

I'm interested in the TE battle (and then answering the question of whether or not we use the TE in our O)

DL not as much because the top 8-10 guys will rotate in a lot anyway so who starts isn't as big of a deal 

I'm also interested in PR and KR. Our return game stunk last year. I wanna see some playmakers back there this year. 

11 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

It seems most think James moves in to LG and Braden moves out to RT. Which means new starters at LT and RG. Who really knows. 

If it happens that way, I would be surprised if anyone but Horton wins the RG spot (a distant 2nd to Harrell)

That LT spot will probably go to one of the Princes or Ashley. 

I would put LT as #1 on my list. If we are going to have a credible passing game, that's the man.

#2+#3+#4 is going to be the OT+OG+TE/HB combination, either side, because the running game will depend on the effectiveness blocking.

Maybe I should be worried about the D, but there is a lot of talent on that side of the ball. I still am of the mind that, if you can't score points, you lose. If defense wins games, it is only true to the extent that the offense scores more points than the opponent.

23 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

DL not as much because the top 8-10 guys will rotate in a lot anyway so who starts isn't as big of a deal 

You're right about the rotation. I'm just very interested to see how Cowart does inside, can Holland get better against the run, seeing the up & comers like Coe & A. Jackson.

I think Qb will very much be contested.  Sean will miss most of spring because of the broken arm which will give Stidham 1st team reps throughout.  Sean is a competitor and will come out in the fall and make Stidham earn that spot.  Don't be surprised if Gus doesn't name a starter till Ga State week.

13 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I think Qb will very much be contested.  Sean will miss most of spring because of the broken arm which will give Stidham 1st team reps throughout.  Sean is a competitor and will come out in the fall and do his best to make Stidham earn that spot.  Don't be surprised if Gus doesn't name a starter till Ga State week.

I agree completely... with the little addition I added above.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Both OT positions are the most important. Second is so far behind you can't even see it. And the QB battle this spring won't be anything too it. 

The bolder is a good thing right? 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

I think Qb will very much be contested.  Sean will miss most of spring because of the broken arm which will give Stidham 1st team reps throughout.  Sean is a competitor and will come out in the fall and make Stidham earn that spot.  Don't be surprised if Gus doesn't name a starter till Ga State week.

I am not sure.  Although this is mostly based on rumors, I had heard last year that Gus and Rhett were biased toward JF3.  Giving him every opportunity in the Spring and when he couldn't win it they held off naming a starter until Fall camp, and when JF3 couldn't win it, they held off until the week of the LSU game to go with Sean.  Hence, why JF3 got inserted into the A&M game for some odd reason.  He was who Gus wanted but was not the best guy.  I think Sean is great when healthy but I am going to assume that Stidham is already Gus's favorite and will receive bias from the staff.  Or I could be completely wrong, after all those were just rumors.  This will be the deepest QB race in the Malzahn era, so I am excited to watch.   

17 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I am not sure.  Although this is mostly based on rumors, I had heard last year that Gus and Rhett were biased toward JF3.  Giving him every opportunity in the Spring and when he couldn't win it they held off naming a starter until Fall camp, and when JF3 couldn't win it, they held off until the week of the LSU game to go with Sean.  Hence, why JF3 got inserted into the A&M game for some odd reason.  He was who Gus wanted but was not the best guy.  I think Sean is great when healthy but I am going to assume that Stidham is already Gus's favorite and will receive bias from the staff.  Or I could be completely wrong, after all those were just rumors.  This will be the deepest QB race in the Malzahn era, so I am excited to watch.   

The bias wasn't to a person... it was to a style. Whether they personally thought that they were better off with a dual-threat or that they were told they better have a dual-threat, that was the focus, not the player.

It's going to be a VERY boring QB race.  Not because there might not be some great things happening, but because we aren't going to have a real clue what's going on. Gus will keep it under wraps, just like everything else.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Don't be surprised if Gus doesn't name a starter till Ga State week.

Who's calling the shots on offense? Gus or Chip?  Who's picking the starters?  Gus, Chip, or the position coaches? 

31 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The bias wasn't to a person... it was to a style. Whether they personally thought that they were better off with a dual-threat or that they were told they better have a dual-threat, that was the focus, not the player.

It's going to be a VERY boring QB race.  Not because there might not be some great things happening, but because we aren't going to have a real clue what's going on. Gus will keep it under wraps, just like everything else.

No doubt.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Who's calling the shots on offense? Gus or Chip?  Who's picking the starters?  Gus, Chip, or the position coaches? 

Gus is the head coach and has a weekly press conference during the season where he discusses things like this.  Chip may get to run the offense the way he wants but Gus will be the one announcing these decisions.  Chain of command etc.

^^ I know Gus will announce it, and he may announce it well after the starter is picked.  I just wonder who will make the actual decision.  And, more importantly, if there is no consensus and still disagreement, who chooses? (i.e. who is really in charge of the offense?)

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

^^ I know Gus will announce it, and he may announce it well after the starter is picked.  I just wonder who will make the actual decision.  And, more importantly, if there is no consensus and still disagreement, who chooses? (i.e. who is really in charge of the offense?)

I just wonder, as well.

Suspect such questions here, however, may generate responses from others similarly wondering.

What a wonderful world.

ETA - peaceful interlude

If there isn't a clear cut leader come end of fall camp then I have to believe Sean will be the starter come kickoff.  He'll have 3 years playing with this team and should have more chemistry.  Its also entirely possible both Sean and Stidham trade series in the first game to see who has the best success before choosing a definite starter for Clemson.  My guess is Gus will have the ultimate say so because he is the head coach. 

Archived