AU Ranked #5

AUpreacherman22

One thing I think people are overlooking is how predictable our offense had become and how it's (hopefully) gonna change a little.  IF Gus lets CL call the plays, I think we'll have a big advantage this year because last year everyone in the country could see the next play coming after about week 4.  I mean, technically it worked most of the time when everyone was healthy, but it should be beneficial to run something new.  If we can leave the spring with a QB named, I'll jump on the hype train.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, AUinTLoosa said:

FPI updated. Still @ 5. 

Schedule predicted at #19.

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-espn-rankings-fpi-preseason-poll-top-5

Win expectencies imply 9-3

A must - Gotta show improvement and forward progress as a program.  These salaries are too high and too much talent on board for AU to log another 8 win season.

Have to win UGA in JHS.

Need to win Clemson, LSU

Would be nice to win Bama at home.

Should be better than tamu, Mississippi schools, Arkansas, and Missouri.

On 2/25/2017 at 3:24 AM, FistyMcBeefpunch said:

One thing I think people are overlooking is how predictable our offense had become and how it's (hopefully) gonna change a little.  IF Gus lets CL call the plays, I think we'll have a big advantage this year because last year everyone in the country could see the next play coming after about week 4.  I mean, technically it worked most of the time when everyone was healthy, but it should be beneficial to run something new.  If we can leave the spring with a QB named, I'll jump on the hype train.

I fully expect to see a blended O b/t Gus and Lindsey's offense, b/c it will be similar but not the same.  Hopefully, CCL is all he is hyped up to be.  I just don't see Gus getting in the way of CCL.  Surely he feels and has heard the pressure about winning, and letting the OC do their thing.  With that hire, if he meddles too much and AU flops, Gus is gone, so it seems to me he has no choice but to trust CCL to get it done.  I think execution is just as critical, 2013 AU ran most of the same stuff that Cam and company did in 2010, and no one could stop it, mainly b/c of an elite OL.  This OL has the potential to be pretty dang good, maybe not as good as that 2010 or 2013 squad, but still really good.  I feel confident that STidham will be the starter, and if the WRs step up to be playmakers, a lot of that is aided by confidence that they have a QB they trust and know will get the ball to them, then the O has the pieces to be REALLY tough to defend.  The D is going to be stellar this year I think, with depth and talent across the DL, and experience at the LB spot, with a pretty good secondary, only with questions at depth at Safety really.  

9 hours ago, tgr4lfe said:

I fully expect to see a blended O b/t Gus and Lindsey's offense, b/c it will be similar but not the same.  Hopefully, CCL is all he is hyped up to be.  I just don't see Gus getting in the way of CCL.  Surely he feels and has heard the pressure about winning, and letting the OC do their thing.  With that hire, if he meddles too much and AU flops, Gus is gone, so it seems to me he has no choice but to trust CCL to get it done.  I think execution is just as critical, 2013 AU ran most of the same stuff that Cam and company did in 2010, and no one could stop it, mainly b/c of an elite OL.  This OL has the potential to be pretty dang good, maybe not as good as that 2010 or 2013 squad, but still really good.  I feel confident that STidham will be the starter, and if the WRs step up to be playmakers, a lot of that is aided by confidence that they have a QB they trust and know will get the ball to them, then the O has the pieces to be REALLY tough to defend.  The D is going to be stellar this year I think, with depth and talent across the DL, and experience at the LB spot, with a pretty good secondary, only with questions at depth at Safety really.  

If Gus and Herb would stop doing that damn mix and match, maybe. If our OL is going to be that weak with Braden as a tackle, PUT WANOGHO AT THAT DAMN SPOT WHY IS IT SO HARD TO FIGURE OUT LOOK AT HOW WELL THE SHUFFLING WORKED OUT LAST YEAR :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:. If we get Cochran and he becomes a starter, we have FOUR SENIORS on the offensive line, which means we'll be young there in 2018. I've seen certain teams have big seasons with young OLs, but we have never been one of them.

Can't say I don't blame them.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/ESPN-writers-Auburn-is-most-overrated-SEC-team-52256836

"Computers are high on Auburn.

Fans are high on Auburn after watching Jarrett Stidham throw pass after pass down the field Saturday at the A-Day scrimmage.

In response to the ESPN's own Football Power Index ratings placing Auburn at No. 5 in the country heading into the offseason, ESPN's SEC writers were asked to name the most overrated team in the SEC.

That team was, by most accounts (three out of four), Auburn.

"Auburn is the easy choice here," writes ESPN's Edward Aschoff. "Count me as one of the folks who thinks these Tigers will be better than they were last year, but No. 5 good? No. Trying to get to 9.5 wins with a new offensive coordinator and some major defensive line losses seems awfully optimistic."

Alex Scarborough makes a comparison to the Jeremy Johnson hype.

"With apologies to all the Auburn fans coming down from the euphoria of the Jarrett Stidham Show, I have to say I'm surprised with the Tigers checking in at No. 5 in the FPI," writes Scarborough. "There's a lot to like about Malzahn's squad this year, but let's hold our horses a little bit. With a new offensive coordinator, a new quarterback and no Carl Lawson or Montravious Adams on defense, I want to see a couple of games before I jump aboard the hype train. I don't want another Jeremy Johnson 2015 situation to play out again.""

Goodness those guys smh.... That "new coordinator" is someone that is not a flunkie and who's gonna take us over the top from expanding the playbook and utilizing playmakers the right way. There can only be a problem if Gus interjects. At first i was worried about the d-line but i feel derrick brown, marlon davidson, and paul james III and others will hold down the fort. Jarrett has shown more than Jeremy and actually started and produced in more games than him.

7 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Goodness those guys smh.... That "new coordinator" is someone that is not a flunkie and who's gonna take us over the top from expanding the playbook and utilizing playmakers the right way. There can only be a problem if Gus interjects. At first i was worried about the d-line but i feel derrick brown, marlon davidson, and paul james III and others will hold down the fort. Jarrett has shown more than Jeremy and actually started and produced in more games than him.

Agreed.

But until we start actually doing it on the field and not go 8-5... then we'll always be the most overrated.

Fans are ready, team seems ready. It's put up our shut up.

Is this the part where all the Auburn fans who say that they hate high expectations and prefer it when we're under the radar start getting upset about a perceived lack of respect from the sports media? 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Is this the part where all the Auburn fans who say that they hate high expectations and prefer it when we're under the radar start getting upset about a perceived lack of respect from the sports media? 

Can't we just have it both ways?:dunno:

Archived