4_4473827.jpg

Roswell, GA (Roswell)

Ht 6-2.5 Wt 225

247 Profile

Has an AU offer

Teammate of AU signee Malik Willis

Not on the job 48 hours but Coach Porter already has him visiting AU

UNC was thought to be the leader before AU hired Coach Porter

Not sure what role CLP had in in TH's recruitment while at UNC but he's on him now

Visiting AU today... 2/13/17

New tight ends/h-backs coach Larry Porter, hired by Auburn over the weekend, has wasted no time getting started.

In fact, he already has a major target on campus Monday.

Four-star recruit Tyneil Hopper, a tight end/jumbo athlete from Roswell (Ga.), arrived at Auburn for an unofficial visit early Monday afternoon.

He's the No. 12 tight end nationally in the 247Sports Composite.

The Tigers offered the 6-feet-2.5, 225-pound Hooper on Jan. 27. North Carolina leads in the 247Sports Crystal Ball. That is Porter's previous employer.

For Hopper, this is not his first trip to Auburn. We know of at least one other visit there. He attended a game at Jordan-Hare Stadium last season.

The fact Porter already has Hopper on campus might indicate he's a high priority for the new Tigers assistant.

Hopper had 18 catches for 214 yards and three touchdowns in 2016 for a Roswell team that was the state runner-up in the classification for the largest high schools in Georgia.

Alabama, Kentucky and Louisville are among his other recent offers.

17 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Was that Malik playing QB at the 1:15 mark?  Who ever it was, they made that defender lose his jock

Yes.

Well I don't know what his mechanics look like in person, but kid has some moves.  BTW TH looks like a great catching TE.  If we actually use the TE as expected this year, then this kid would be a great addition.

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Well Loof if I wanted an answer from you I would've @'d you instead :bananadance:

YES!

Annoy the hell out of Clayton- CHECK

Now I can get on with the rest of my day. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Good news, yo- 4 to play 3

And players can't come in to the SEC with only 1 year left to play unless they have a 4 year college under grad degree. Without that they must have at least 2 years to play.

2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I think this is the guy i pointed out after watching roswell play grayson in the playoffs but the name doesnt seem familiar.

Same guy.

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

With the combination of Porter and Lindsey, Auburn might make a dramatic flip from TE black hole to TEU.

Add two QB's who can get the ball to them Stidham and SW and you could be right,.

New interview

TE from Georgia becomes top priority

Larry Porter’s first official day on the job as Auburn’s tight ends/H-back coach and recruiting coordinator showed he’s eager to start landing prospects in the #T18GERPROWL recruiting class.

In fact, Porter didn’t even wait until his official Monday start date to begin his recruiting endeavors for the Tigers. Once Auburn announced the hire, Porter picked up the phone and began to narrow in on prospects he knew from North Carolina that overlapped with recruits already on Auburn’s radar.

One of his first calls: 4-star TE Tyneil Hopper from Roswell, Ga.

“He reached out to my parents that he’d be coming to Auburn,” Hopper told SEC Country. “He wanted me to come up for a visit. We decided to come up here (Monday).”

Hopper received his Auburn offer on Jan. 27, the same day Alabama offered.

Both schools in the Iron Bowl rivalry were a little late to the game, though Hopper’s recruitment has flown relatively under the radar for someone as versatile as he is at 6-foot-2 and 226 pounds. Kentucky offered in 2015. Louisville and North Carolina offered at the beginning of 2016.

That North Carolina connection should be an interesting one to Auburn fans.

Auburn TE coach Larry Porter (Robert Laberge/Getty Images)
Auburn TE coach Larry Porter (Robert Laberge/Getty Images)

Porter came from the Tar Heels, which is where Hopper’s relationship originally formed with the new tight ends coach. But this isn’t the first Hopper that Porter has recruited.

“I met coach Porter at North Carolina because my brother is actually a linebacker at North Carolina right now. I knew him since he was at North Carolina when I was a freshman, so we just decided to come up here,” Porter said following the visit with his parents. “We knew we were probably going to be alone. It’s a great place to be.”

Not a coincidence: Both of Hopper’s two 247Sports Crystal Ball forecasts go in North Carolina’s direction. That’s part older brother and part Porter.

With Porter’s job change, it elevates Auburn. The Tigers already sat in solid position. Hopper’s original Auburn relationship ran through Scott Fountain, who Hopper said he has remained in contact with over the past couple days.

But, for Hopper specifically, Auburn couldn’t have made a bigger splash hire than Porter.

“Auburn was already a great program. They’re already an elite program. But I believe Coach Porter is going to help them become elite tight ends. He’ll fit in perfectly,” Hopper said. “He’s a really honest person. He’s not going to lie to you. If he wants you, he wants you. Coaching-wise, he knows everything that needs to be known to be a good coach.”

How Auburn’s TE position is changing

Hopper is the Auburn tight end target right now. What does that even mean any more?

The Tigers took two tight ends in the 2017 class. Salvatore Cannella signed prior to the offensive coordinator change. John Samuel Shenker was directly linked to the Chip Lindsey hire.

Spencer’s commitment gave some insight into the new-look Auburn tight end/H-back role, which will ask players to do a little bit of everything.

“Auburn wants me to play H-back, on the line tight end and actually want me to split out wide, too,” Hopper said. “They want me to be a transition guy, a hybrid type of person. I got to talk to Coach Porter today. He was talking to me about he wants me to get better as far as blocking a little bit better. I know I need to work on that, too.”

Hopper’s pass-catching instincts are already there. On a team loaded with senior receiving options, Hopper caught 18 passes for 214 yards and three touchdowns during his junior season at Roswell High.

Who is the biggest competition?

Hopper’s eight-deep offer sheet looks like this: Kentucky, Wake Forest, Louisville, North Carolina, Illinois, Auburn, Alabama and UMass.

North Carolina was an early leader — in the public’s mind, at least — because of the Porter connection and Hopper’s older brother. Auburn and Alabama emerged as contenders the second both sides of the Iron Bowl rivalry sent out offers to Hopper.

For now, however, Hopper remains patient.

“I’m still visiting schools and making sure I make the right decision wherever I go,” Hopper said. “Everyone that’s offered me is in it. I’m just enjoying the recruiting process and making sure I make the right decision.”

Hopper visited Mississippi State recently for the Bulldogs’ junior day event. He will head to Louisville this upcoming weekend. Hopper will visit South Carolina the weekend after that, where he is hopeful an offer will come from the Gamecocks staff.

That’s the extent of Hopper’s so-called leaders, as his recruitment currently stands.

The Malik Willis connection

Remember Hopper’s 214-yard, three-touchdown junior season?

Well, guess who was throwing the ball to him? Early enrollee QB Malik Willis.

Auburn’s connection to Roswell High began when the Tigers courted Willis away from Virginia Tech in December. Willis and Hopper are close, which gave Hopper a good opportunity to spend much of his visit with Willis, who is becoming comfortable with his new surroundings on the Plains.

Willis didn’t pitch Hopper aside from telling him how glad he is to have ended up at Auburn.

Malik Willis-Auburn football-Auburn recruiting-Auburn Tigers football-Roswell High School-Gus Malzahn-Auburn quarterback
Auburn early enrollee Malik Willis (Jason Getz/AJC)

“Malik, he enrolled early. He’s loving it. He told me it’s a great place to be,” Hopper said. “He also said he’s coming for that starting spot. I’m rooting for him. I want to see him playing on Saturdays … Either way, I look forward to being up here with him again.”

Roswell is a talent-rich high school, however, so Willis isn’t Hopper’s only former teammate who is recruiting him.

Wide receiver Corey Reed signed with Louisville. Safety Xavier McKinney enrolled early at Alabama. Several other teammates from programs who haven’t offered are already semi-recruiting Hopper in case those offers eventually come.

Willis will be a big asset for Hopper, but he said it was his former teammate on Auburn’s biggest rival that is on him the most.

“Xavier is for ‘Bama. He’s a cool dude. He’s really funny. He wants me to come up there with him, too,” Hopper said.

45 minutes ago, dabrasco said:

Was there any news about how well his visit went?

The interview above your post was taken after his AU visit.

• 3 months later...

Auburn coaches visit top TE target

Jeffrey Lee | Senior Editor

Gpeimairjzfyhlcv0rlu

Tyneil Hopper is a high priority for Auburn in the 2018 class, and the Tigers are making sure the tight end from Roswell, Ga., is aware.

Larry Porter, Auburn’s tight ends coach, and area recruit Rodney Garner both visited Roswell this week.

“Coach Garner was at practice this week and Coach Porter also came to a practice,” Hopper said. “They really want me at Auburn.”

Hopper is considering it. The No. 9 tight end visited Auburn twice in the spring and plans a third trip in the summer and/or fall.

“I am planning on going back to Auburn,” Hopper said. “I’m not sure when, but I’ll be back. It most likely will be in the summer. If not the summer, I’ll definitely be back for a game in the fall.”

Hopper has a long-standing relationship with Porter. It’s one of the reasons Hopper has interest in Auburn. Porter, who is in his first year at Auburn, helped recruit and sign Hopper’s brother, Tyrone Hopper, while at North Carolina.

“I’ve known Coach Porter for a while,” Hopper said. “We have a really good relationship. He has been recruiting me hard since he got to Auburn.”

So has Hopper’s former high school quarterback, Malik Willis, who signed with Auburn in February. Hopper caught 18 passes for 214 yards and three touchdowns last year from Willis. The two could reunite in college.

Hopper doesn’t list any favorites, but expects Auburn to be among them when he does.

“I’ll start breaking stuff down after spring and seeing where I fit best,” Hopper said. “I’m not sure when I’ll have a top group, but Auburn is definitely a school that I like.”

Hopper has visits scheduled to Pitt and West Virginia in June.

“I’m not sure after those two,” Hopper said. “Those are just the ones that I’m sure of right now.”

Rivals ranks Hopper, who is 6-foot-2 and weighs 220 pounds, the No. 21 player in Georgia and No. 221 in the Rivals250.

“Maybe at the end of the summer I’ll have a decision, but I’m not in a hurry,” Hopper said. “I want to take my time and make the best decision for me.”

2018 tight end target plans Auburn visit

Expect Tyneil Hopper back on the Plains within the next few weeks.

The 3-star tight end from Roswell (Ga.) won’t be at Big Cat Weekend on June 3, but he’ll return to Auburn soon after. Hopper has open dates on June 8 and June 15 and is leaning toward the latter date for a follow-up visit to the Tigers.

Auburn-Auburn recruiting-Tyneil Hopper
TE target Tyneil Hopper has already made two visit to Auburn in 2017. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

It will be Hopper’s third appearance at Auburn since the start of the new year, when his prior relationship with Larry Porter combined with his previous familiarity with the Tigers formed a welcoming union.

“Auburn is a great place to be,” Hopper told SEC Country.

Hopper hopes to make his decision before the start of his senior season, but he only wants to do it “if the feeling is right.”

From preconceived notions, North Carolina is cast as the favorite. His brother plays there. Hopper’s relationship with Porter stemmed from his time on the Tar Heels’ staff. North Carolina is where Hopper has visited most frequently, along with Auburn. All three Crystal Ball projections say the Tar Heels snag the Georgia tight end.

But Auburn has some advantages as well:

• Hopper visits Auburn as much as any school.
  • He was high school teammates with Auburn quarterback Malik Willis.
  • Proximity to home favors the Tigers.
  • Hopper likes idea of playing in the SEC.

This visit to Auburn will come at a crossroads in the Tigers’ 2018 recruiting class as they search for their new tight ends. With only two on the roster, Auburn has a chance of signing two in the upcoming class, and Hopper has been one on the radar since the beginning of the year.

He hasn’t specified a top list yet but said he’s working to narrow it down following a few early summer visits. Hopper hopes this will make his end-of-summer decision process more fluid.

It sounds so much more impressive when the article says 4 star TE as compared to saying 3 star.

Lol i think all articles henceforth should always refer to the highest rated service.  Unless it's a bama article.

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Saw where this guy just signed w/ Boise.  Why wasn’t he a huge target for us?

I think we went all in on the kid who went to uga- Ford?- and then fixed our sights on Alaimo when that didn't work out. Porter had Alaimo in- ahem, those who think Porter was asleep at the wheel on TE recruiting- and Gus went a different direction. (A tweener who is reportedly not fond of contact and who may have grade issues.)

Just now, AUDevil said:

Saw where this guy just signed w/ Boise.  Why wasn’t he a huge target for us?

I looks like no SEC team made him an offer. His only visit in the Southeast was Tulane. Why, I don't know but but a good guess would be he's not a 4* talent or something else is amiss. When everybody is disinterested, something isn't as it appears.

Archived