Spencer out for year, will have surgery

ellitor

Link

AUBURN | Horace Spencer’s sophomore season has ended.

Auburn’s forward, who missed the previous three games after injuring his left shoulder late against Tennessee Jan. 31, will undergo surgery Thursday and miss the remainder of the season.

I6ckjukvtpxx3m3xlty8
Spencer will miss the rest of his sophomore season due to a shoulder injury.
Dakota Sumpter/Auburn athletics

Spencer has started 12 games and was averaging 4.8 points and 3.4 rebounds per game. He leads the team with 28 blocked shots.

In five games after moving from center to power forward against LSU Jan. 18, Spencer averaged 4.4 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.6 blocks.

It’s the second injury that has befallen an Auburn player this season. Danjel Purifoy missed three games with an ankle injury and averaged just 3.5 points in the four games after he returned.

Pearl has dealt with injury issues in his three seasons at Auburn. Tahj Shamsid-Deen missed the final 11 games of the 2014-15 season after undergoing surgeries on both shoulders and then played just five games last season before having to give up his career due to recurring shoulder issues.

T.J. Dunans missed 15 games last season with a knee injury.

Auburn, 16-9 overall and 5-7 in the SEC, hosts Florida Tuesday night at 6 p. m. CT on the SEC Network.

Hate it for Spencer and the team. Horace has been one of my favorite players to watch on this years team. 

On the "bright" side, I imagine it'll make it easier to justify playing Wiley through more tough spots.

I swear, Auburn is becoming the place where good athletes go to get injured. With the recurring football and basketball injuries, you have to think that there is something more we could do in our conditioning programs to promote joint strength and flexibility.

Archived