OT: Both trees at Toomers to be replaced

WarTiger

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accountability.  I break the law, I pay the fine.  Why is it different for others?  Heck this is effecting thousands of adults in our community and no real penalty?   I wish some media was involved and show how actions should have consequences.  Ridiculous

This entire saga was kicked off by that Gump who  poisoned the trees and I bet he has never paid his fine and certainly whatever he may have paid was totally insufficient to cover the cost of all the additional work necessary to restore the traditional look of Toomer's Corner. 

6 hours ago, Beaker said:

Accountability.  I break the law, I pay the fine.  Why is it different for others?  Heck this is effecting thousands of adults in our community and no real penalty?   I wish some media was involved and show how actions should have consequences.  Ridiculous

He was held accountable and the consequences were jail time, of which the idiot served.  You can't get blood from a turnip, he is a mental case with zero assets, no job, no income.  How do you suggest AU get compensation?

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

He was held accountable and the consequences were jail time, of which the idiot served.  You can't get blood from a turnip, he is a mental case with zero assets, no job, no income.  How do you suggest AU get compensation?

I know nothing about law...Let's be clear on that.   I feel if he can't pay his monetary debt, the judge orders something in lieu of.  Say if he owes $10,000 and can't pay, then he works for the city or university that he owes at a rate say $10/hr for 1000 hrs.   If he refuses, then jail time about the only other option I guess.  I also think the media needs to play this which can discourage future actions.  

Sorry, I am not good at forgiving the debt. 

On 2/14/2017 at 8:47 AM, auburn4ever said:

Did anyone find out the season why Jochen Wiest burned our Oaks to start with? We know why updyke poisoned our Oaks in 2010. He's a crimson ASS and he's a washed up has been.

He was lit, so he lit. Always came across like a bumbling German doofus out of his element here in the States.

11 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

He was lit, so he lit. Always came across like a bumbling German doofus out of his element here in the States.

Also, Germans have an extremely different sense of humor. Based on some of the German's I know, he probably thought it would be funny.

4 hours ago, keesler said:

Oh i'm sure he is well compensated by his cult brethren. He is one of their heroes

4 hours ago, keesler said:

Sorry

Can't like this

but it is as succinct, accurate, and depressing as can possibly be said.

18 hours ago, Beaker said:

I know nothing about law...Let's be clear on that.   I feel if he can't pay his monetary debt, the judge orders something in lieu of.  Say if he owes $10,000 and can't pay, then he works for the city or university that he owes at a rate say $10/hr for 1000 hrs.   If he refuses, then jail time about the only other option I guess.  I also think the media needs to play this which can discourage future actions.  

Sorry, I am not good at forgiving the debt. 

The judge ordered payment/restitution of  +$800,000 of which includes court and legal fees to be paid with minimum monthly payments of $100/month.  He served his 6 month jail sentence, and as of Sept '16 was current in his minimum payments of $100/mo.  Not sure how much "work" a city can squeeze out of a senior citizen aged man that's mentally handicapped and has age related health conditions?:dunno:

The whole situation is disappointing and irritating for the Auburn Family.  I just see no possible way for Auburn to recoup the expenses that have been and continue to be spent on the multiple (upto 6 mature trees) transplants that we keep hoping and praying will flourish for our time honored tradition on Toomer's Corner.  

At least the German was financially able to pay for his idiotic actions.  But did the +/-$25,000 he paid even cover the transportation and planting costs for the two new adult trees that will be going in the ground?  

42 minutes ago, keesler said:

He served his 6 month jail sentence, and as of Sept '16 was current in his minimum payments of $100/mo.

This is incorrect.  That is why he's due in court on March 1 to face contempt charges.   As of Sept 16, he had paid less than $3000 (reported by AL.com, so I'm not linking it).  He was supposed to show up for a restitution hearing and provide documentation about his finances and didn't, so now he's in contempt. On Jan 7, it was reported that he had gotten his payments up to around $5000. Also, along the way, he's been required at least 3 times, to pay larger lump sums or go back to jail because he missed his monthly payments. Reality is, he's learned nothing and is still the poster child for true bama fans.

http://www.wsfa.com/story/34175463/warrant-issued-after-harvey-updyke-a-no-show-in-court

45 minutes ago, keesler said:

At least the German was financially able to pay for his idiotic actions.  But did the +/-$25,000 he paid even cover the transportation and planting costs for the two new adult trees that will be going in the ground?  

What he paid covered the cost of replacing the 1 tree... not both.

I believe we would have been best served planting some of the larger Toomer Oak saplings like the ones that are now lining the concourse from the corner to Samford. Those trees are doing great and while they are smaller I believe they are best suited to thrive in this environment.

I hope the new trees are more local and are able to take root and live on.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

This is incorrect.  That is why he's due in court on March 1 to face contempt charges.   As of Sept 16, he had paid less than $3000 (reported by AL.com, so I'm not linking it).  He was supposed to show up for a restitution hearing and provide documentation about his finances and didn't, so now he's in contempt. On Jan 7, it was reported that he had gotten his payments up to around $5000. Also, along the way, he's been required at least 3 times, to pay larger lump sums or go back to jail because he missed his monthly payments. Reality is, he's learned nothing and is still the poster child for true bama fans.

http://www.wsfa.com/story/34175463/warrant-issued-after-harvey-updyke-a-no-show-in-court

Whether I'm correct/incorrect about the details of the case, does it really matter?  

I still fail to see how Auburn can recoup expenses from a mentally challenged senior citizen with health problems.  The poster that I was replying to mentioned forcing him to work off the debt with a job at $10/hr for 1000 hrs......The man is missing a chromosome, he is now elderly and would likely stroke out on the streets of Auburn if forced to do a days work.  If you can't take the $$ out of his physical labor and he is indigent, then how else can AU seek recompense?

31 minutes ago, keesler said:

Whether I'm correct/incorrect about the details of the case, does it really matter?  

I still fail to see how Auburn can recoup expenses from a mentally challenged senior citizen with health problems.  The poster that I was replying to mentioned forcing him to work off the debt with a job at $10/hr for 1000 hrs......The man is missing a chromosome, he is now elderly and would likely stroke out on the streets of Auburn if forced to do a days work.  If you can't take the $$ out of his physical labor and he is indigent, then how else can AU seek recompense?

The court could go after his "estate".  I'm sure we could make a pretty penny selling his belongings off to other stupid bama fans who want some Harvey Updyke memorabilia. The guy has to have some money or he wouldn't be showing up in the stands in Tuscaloosa, much less National Championship games... either that or someone is bankrolling his addiction and needs to start bankrolling his debt.

13 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

The court could go after his "estate".  I'm sure we could make a pretty penny selling his belongings off to other stupid bama fans who want some Harvey Updyke memorabilia. The guy has to have some money or he wouldn't be showing up in the stands in Tuscaloosa, much less National Championship games... either that or someone is bankrolling his addiction and needs to start bankrolling his debt.

Actually I would bet he rents his property and the only memorabilia he has is a jacket and couple of jerseys. The man likely is not worth $500.  Last I read he was living in Louisiana somewhere. Don't think he was making many trips to Turdville at the time. 

So basically that is money never to be seen

14 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

26 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Actually I would bet he rents his property and the only memorabilia he has is a jacket and couple of jerseys. The man likely is not worth $500.  Last I read he was living in Louisiana somewhere. Don't think he was making many trips to Turdville at the time. 

I suspect that even his relics would not cover the debt.

Alas, he's a turnip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relic

42 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

You missed my point.  I'm saying that some of the idiots who claim bama fandom would pay top dollar for his jacket and jerseys just to say that they owned a piece of their hero Harvey Updyke.

13 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

I suspect that even his relics would not cover the debt.

Alas, he's a turnip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relic

You are correct that we could sell everything he owned piece by piece and probably not cover the full $800,000.

Kudos on the use of relic... bama fandom is basically a religion, isn't it?  And ol' Harvey is definitely the bama equivalent of a saint.

Seems to me the judge in the contempt hearing should send Updyke back to jail for at least a few days, just to get his attention. But we know we'll never get anything close to full recovery from this low life.

This might be a bit off of the wall, but it could be a nice collectors item.  Why not cut the trees up into pieces that could be finished & sanded and a small plaque indicating that it was a part of the Toomer's Corner Trees.  Just an idea.

Archived