2018 4* RB Asa Martin Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

In different ways. MT3 is built to be an every down back. Asa's game is one that can be used like Kerryon Johnson's.

I am just curious what part of him is an every down back?  According to his page he is 5'10" @ 210 lbs.  Asa is 6'@193 lbs.  So yes he is 17 lbs heavier today, but Asa has a bigger frame and could pack more "good" weight on in a college lifting program.  

Personally I don't care which one we get.  Would be great if we could find room for both, but I'll take either.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I am just curious what part of him is an every down back?  According to his page he is 5'10" @ 210 lbs.  Asa is 6'@193 lbs.  So yes he is 17 lbs heavier today, but Asa has a bigger frame and could pack more "good" weight on in a college lifting program.  

Personally I don't care which one we get.  Would be great if we could find room for both, but I'll take either.

1. Watch his running style in his film. Relying strictly on RB measurables numbers is a very misleading way to evaluate RBs. 2. MT3's already there physically while Martin would have to take time to grow. 2. MT3 has a more physical running style & that's required to be able to run between the tackles in the SEC. Also his lower center of gravity helps to. Another thing to keep in mind is RBs running styles don't usually change much. Maybe @corchjay can add to this.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I am just curious what part of him is an every down back?  According to his page he is 5'10" @ 210 lbs.  

Devonta Freeman- 5'9 209
LeSean McCoy- 5'10 207
Melvin Gordon- 6'1 207

Then, also in the list of the top 38 NFL RBs in rushing yardage in 2016 (2 of the top 40 were quarterbacks):
Bilal Powell- 5'10 204
Jacquizz Rodgers- 5'6 205
Jerrick McKinnon- 5'9 205
Tevin Coleman- 6'1 210
Jalen Richard- 5'8 207
DeAndre Washington- 5'8 204

Jamaal Charles is 5'11 199 and was one of the premiere, every-down RBs in the NFL for several years.

5'10 210 coming in? He's already ahead of the size curve for being an every-down college RB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Devonta Freeman- 5'9 209
LeSean McCoy- 5'10 207
Melvin Gordon- 6'1 207

Then, also in the list of the top 38 NFL RBs in rushing yardage in 2016 (2 of the top 40 were quarterbacks):
Bilal Powell- 5'10 204
Jacquizz Rodgers- 5'6 205
Jerrick McKinnon- 5'9 205
Tevin Coleman- 6'1 210
Jalen Richard- 5'8 207
DeAndre Washington- 5'8 204

Jamaal Charles is 5'11 199 and was one of the premiere, every-down RBs in the NFL for several years.

5'10 210 coming in? He's already ahead of the size curve for being an every-down college RB.

lol well said. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

IDK. We are likely only taking one of him & Teague and from what I gather it sounds like the staff likes Teague more.

I do too. So ,really, that should simplify the decision-making process, lol. Hell, I sure wish we'd take both.

• Like 1

I'm of the opinion that both of those guys should be takes. Worm is a change of pace or slot guy. He's not going to see 15 carries a game. By my estimation, you want/need a mix of skill sets in the backfield. This is simplifying it, but Teague is more like Pettway/Miller; Martin is more like Johnson/Martin/Barrett. Worm is like none of those guys. Given that we're losing two traditional backs, my preference would be replacing them.

I get roster management, but personally, if both guys want to be at Auburn, I believe it's a mistake to turn one of them away.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

I'm of the opinion that both of those guys should be takes. Worm is a change of pace or slot guy. He's not going to see 15 carries a game. By my estimation, you want/need a mix of skill sets in the backfield. This is simplifying it, but Teague is more like Pettway/Miller; Martin is more like Johnson/Martin/Barrett. Worm is like none of those guys. Given that we're losing two traditional backs, my preference would be replacing them.

I get roster management, but personally, if both guys want to be at Auburn, I believe it's a mistake to turn one of them away.

Barrett is expected to be an every down back when he fills out FWIW. I wouldn't categorize him in with Johnson/Martin just yet.

Edited by ellitor

That's fair except that I actually think Kerryon is big enough to handle 20 carries a game. He gets nicked up, but it's not for a lack of size. I was speaking more in terms of skill set than ability to handle lots of carries.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

IDK. We are likely only taking one of him & Teague and from what I gather it sounds like the staff likes Teague more.

To quote Radio, "I want both."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

That's fair except that I actually think Kerryon is big enough to handle 20 carries a game. He gets nicked up, but it's not for a lack of size. I was speaking more in terms of skill set than ability to handle lots of carries.

He's big enough but his running style is not condusive to it.

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

Hey! We've been here before. The scene goes like this: Slow play Martin because we like Teague a little better. Then Martin commits elsewhere and on signing day Teague puts on some cap that doesn't have AU on it.

While there may be no perfect solution to this situation, with guys as good as these two I'd think both would have a commitable offer. After all, either one could probably be moved to safety. That would make various denizens of this place happy!

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

Barrett is expected to be an every down back when he fills out FWIW. I would categorize him in with Johnson/Martin just yet.

Football people I know are saying Barrett is the real deal and tailback. Not another KJ clone. True tailback. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Hey! We've been here before. The scene goes like this: Slow play Martin because we like Teague a little better. Then Martin commits elsewhere and on signing day Teague puts on some cap that doesn't have AU on it.

While there may be no perfect solution to this situation, with guys as good as these two I'd think both would have a commitable offer. After all, either one could probably be moved to safety. That would make various denizens of this place happy!

I think both are committable right now on a first come, first serve basis FWIW.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

Sorry just checking in here been a busy couple weeks.

Teague is the 20 times a game type back like Bubba.  Asa Martin is like KJ will get his carries but will be asked to do more stuff more in the passing game both catching and blocking.  Worm is like K-Mart speed guy will get 8-10 touches a game couple inside runs outside runs try to create mismatches through alignment, swing passes, wheel routes.  Malik Miller and D. Barrett will fill in the Pettway role but I think D. Barrett will do a little more as well.  They will be the work horses and pound the rock.  You have to have those guys that just pound and pound yet have the skill to press the line of scrimmage and make people miss in the hole.  

If you remember back in the Bowden days after Davis graduated we had a lot of specialized backs but no true pound the rock backs.  Our run game was nonexistent.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

Sorry just checking in here been a busy couple weeks.

Teague is the 20 times a game type back like Bubba.  Asa Martin is like KJ will get his carries but will be asked to do more stuff more in the passing game both catching and blocking.  Worm is like K-Mart speed guy will get 8-10 touches a game couple inside runs outside runs try to create mismatches through alignment, swing passes, wheel routes.  Malik Miller and D. Barrett will fill in the Pettway role but I think D. Barrett will do a little more as well.  They will be the work horses and pound the rock.  You have to have those guys that just pound and pound yet have the skill to press the line of scrimmage and make people miss in the hole.  

If you remember back in the Bowden days after Davis graduated we had a lot of specialized backs but no true pound the rock backs.  Our run game was nonexistent.  

We also underutilized Davis, stud that he was, because we got enamored with guys like Markeith Cooper. And, poor Rusty Williams was a player but just soooo sssslllloooowwww. Rough times if you liked a good run game and went to school watching Bo and Brent?.......

Edited by fredst
  • Like 2

Beasley and yes, 8 seasons

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Who was the fullback out of Montgomery that Tot turned into a tailback? Fred...? Didn't he play with the 49ers for a minute? 

Edited by auburnphan
  • Like 2

We have been known as Tailback U or Running back U but our fullbacks have been outstanding over the years.  Beasley, Richardson, Prosch.  Heck so many I can't even remember.  Oh Tommy Agee, William Andrews just to name a few 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

We have been known as Tailback U or Running back U but our fullbacks have been outstanding over the years.  Beasley, Richardson, Prosch.  Heck so many I can't even remember.  Oh Tommy Agee, William Andrews just to name a few 

And this guy who LSU remembers very well...

evans_heath_nfln.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

And this guy who LSU remembers very well...

evans_heath_nfln.jpg

Our fullbacks have been known to do about 40 bench reps in shirt and tie. Who says bench press isn't important at AU??

• Like 2

4 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I know Auburn would love to have both but if they had their druthers which one would they druthers have?

I think Teague but don't know for certain.

• Like 2