2018 4* RB Asa Martin Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Badly written site.  All of the rankings listed on the site should pull from a central database, so you never see contradictory rankings for a player.

They used to do that with the 250. It used to be that when the 100 came out. the 250 was clear til their day came

49 minutes ago, WarEagleJersey said:

Really interesting that he's a top-75 player in Rivals and #276 in 24/7

And stranger still, not in the ESPN 300.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

And stranger still, not in the ESPN 300.

I think you said it best... not playing on the national circuit certainly has hurt his stock.

But you and I can both agree, ESPN’s rankings are the worst of the power rankings. 

25 minutes ago, WarEagleJersey said:

I think you said it best... not playing on the national circuit certainly has hurt his stock.

But you and I can both agree, ESPN’s rankings are the worst of the power rankings. 

Which is ridiculous. They have to posses the means to better evaluate players. Not much money in recruiting sites?

1 hour ago, WarEagleJersey said:

Since 247 bought Scout, yes. Scout was the worst.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zeek said:

They have to posses the means to better evaluate players.

It's not easy to evaluate over 2000 kids a year, more when you count the JRs & Sophs they are looking at too.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Zeek said:

Which is ridiculous. They have to posses the means to better evaluate players. Not much money in recruiting sites?

ESPN in hemorrhaging money. Disney is basically leveraging all of their other properties to keep them afloat. They built themselves up when they were the only game in town and then Fox came along and the were ill-prepared to not own the entire market. On top of that, they made the egregious error of letting their on-air personalities show bias which is the worst thing you can do in sports, where people are so passionate about their teams. That cost them serious viewership/market share. 20 years ago, people would watch SportsCenter nightly, often repeatedly. Now people watch games that are on ESPN, since they have no alternative, and often with other audio sources, and then immediately turn it off.

Also, don't forget, they've had 2 rounds of lay-offs. No doubt people who analyze high school football prospects were among those cut.

ESPN also has an agenda. They are first and foremost an entertainment company that thrives on viewership, so they are going to do whatever they can to prop up the teams that give them the biggest ratings.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

ESPN in hemorrhaging money. Disney is basically leveraging all of their other properties to keep them afloat. They built themselves up when they were the only game in town and then Fox came along and the were ill-prepared to not own the entire market. On top of that, they made the egregious error of letting their on-air personalities show bias which is the worst thing you can do in sports, where people are so passionate about their teams. That cost them serious viewership/market share. 20 years ago, people would watch SportsCenter nightly, often repeatedly. Now people watch games that are on ESPN, since they have no alternative, and often with other audio sources, and then immediately turn it off.

Also, don't forget, they've had 2 rounds of lay-offs. No doubt people who analyze high school football prospects were among those cut.

ESPN also has an agenda. They are first and foremost an entertainment company that thrives on viewership, so they are going to do whatever they can to prop up the teams that give them the biggest ratings.

I think losing viewers has more to do to do with all the political crap they are pushing & them making every show that's not a live game besides some late night Sportscenters, into a talk show. Bias does bug me but not like the political crap. In my mind sports are supposed to be an escape from politics. Also if they want to save money more then they need to get rid of this daily live talk show crap that starts at 6 AM CT & lasts all flipping day & go back to replaying the late night sportscenter highlight show til noon the next day. Can't find actual highlights at a reasonable hour anymore....Yes it pisses me off.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think losing viewers has more to do to do with all the political crap they are pushing & them making every show that's not a live game besides some late night Sportscenters, into a talk show. Bias does bug me but not like the political crap. In my mind sports are supposed to be an escape from politics. Also if they want to save money more then they need to get rid of this daily live talk show crap that starts at 6 AM CT & lasts all flipping day & go back to replaying the late night sportscenter highlight show til noon the next day. Can't find actual highlights at a reasonable hour anymore....Yes it pisses me off.

That is definitely part of it, too. And there's the fact that they talk a lot of crap with nothing to back it up. That's what turned several of my sports fanatic friends off. They hate listening to the uninformed prognostication.

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think losing viewers has more to do to do with all the political crap they are pushing & them making every show that's not a live game besides some late night Sportscenters, into a talk show. Bias does bug me but not like the political crap. In my mind sports are supposed to be an escape from politics. Also if they want to save money more then they need to get rid of this daily live talk show crap that starts at 6 AM CT & lasts all flipping day & go back to replaying the late night sportscenter highlight show til noon the next day. Can't find actual highlights at a reasonable hour anymore...

Don't you piss down E's back then tell him it's raining!:angry:

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Of course, since he is not a bamr 'croot.

And wasn't chosen for their under armour all star game.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

This one makes me shake my head the most, “in a disappointed way”.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

That is ridiculous.  Under Armour sponsors 11 colleges.  You would think that they would definitely try to get kids who have committed or signed with these school in their all star game.

31 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

That is ridiculous.  Under Armour sponsors 11 colleges.  You would think that they would definitely try to get kids who have committed or signed with these school in their all star game.

It's ESPN's game & their recruiting analysts decide who gets an invite & it often coincides with their rankings.

Edited by ellitor
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Bring back the Aussie Rules Football

• Like 3

So glad for Asa winning Alabama Mr Football Award! Hope he shows how deserving he was, like KJ after winning it!

• Like 5

On 1/23/2018 at 11:10 AM, ellitor said:

Very little of why ESPN is losing money comes from politics. It's the landscape of cable/satellite changing. The old model is failing. In fact, ESPN is one of the few things keeping the current system afloat, as live sports is one of the most difficult things for cord cutters to access. 

But what should their model be? People point to the "good old days" where they would watch highlights and all of that on SC and say that is why it is failing. Even if SC showed highlights and basically went 100% back to what they used to be, people would STILL mostly get their sports news and highlights online.

They desperately need to find a way to renegotiate their cable contracts. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Very little of why ESPN is losing money comes from politics. It's the landscape of cable/satellite changing. The old model is failing. In fact, ESPN is one of the few things keeping the current system afloat, as live sports is one of the most difficult things for cord cutters to access. 

But what should their model be? People point to the "good old days" where they would watch highlights and all of that on SC and say that is why it is failing. Even if SC showed highlights and basically went 100% back to what they used to be, people would STILL mostly get their sports news and highlights online.

Wasn't talking about them losing money as muxh as viewers in my post.

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I agree that ESPN being mostly crap that isn't sports (I haven't gleaned much in the way of politics) makes it less appealing, but like you said, I'm not sure how they're supposed to fill that time. Buy the rights to sports movies? The golf channel does show golf movies. More original sports-based programming in the vein of Friday Night Lights or Ballers? ESPN After Dark?

I kept cable for waaaaaaaaay too long strictly for live sports. So happy to have gotten out of that racket. 

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I agree that ESPN being mostly crap that isn't sports (I haven't gleaned much in the way of politics) makes it less appealing, but like you said, I'm not sure how they're supposed to fill that time. Buy the rights to sports movies? The golf channel does show golf movies. More original sports-based programming in the vein of Friday Night Lights or Ballers? ESPN After Dark?

I kept cable for waaaaaaaaay too long strictly for live sports. So happy to have gotten out of that racket. 

Don't know if you remember their original show, Playmakers, but it was awesome. Unfortunately, the NFL pressured ESPN to shut it down.

23 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Don't know if you remember their original show, Playmakers, but it was awesome. Unfortunately, the NFL pressured ESPN to shut it down.

Hah. Sounds about right.