2018 4* RB Asa Martin Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

11 minutes ago, TigerWar said:

We both know that the ultimate goal of the majority of football players is to make it to the NFL and under Saban, Bama does a lot of that.

Kenyon Drake: 3rd Round

Corey Grant: Undrafted FA

And that's the only stat that really matters to most kids. Who gives a crap about individual stats when the main goal is to get to the league and be drafted in a high enough round to bank some jack.

11 minutes ago, TigerWar said:

We both know that the ultimate goal of the majority of football players is to make it to the NFL and under Saban, Bama does a lot of that.

You're kidding right?

Top Ten Bammer RB's in NFL

11 hours ago, TigerWar said:

Yea... that's an unfortunate issue that the NFL has.  I'm not sure why they haven't figured out that the get more production out of the free agents they take from Auburn than the drafted players that they pay the big bucks for out of bama, on the whole (not to say Drake will be an NFL bust... he's doing ok so far... but bama has more than their fair share of busts). One of these years, they will wake up and realize that.

27 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... that's an unfortunate issue that the NFL has.  I'm not sure why they haven't figured out that the get more production out of the free agents they take from Auburn than the drafted players that they pay the big bucks for out of bama, on the whole (not to say Drake will be an NFL bust... he's doing ok so far... but bama has more than their fair share of busts). One of these years, they will wake up and realize that.

The NFL folks will realize it when Auburn starts developing their players in college the way bama does.  Our undrafted free agents who make NFL rosters have the ability, but they have not been developed.  It takes the NFL coaches to maximize it.  Auburn is on the right track at the moment with our current staff.

Edited by tinman

10 minutes ago, tinman said:

The NFL folks will realize it when Auburn starts developing their players in college the way bama does.  Our undrafted free agents who make NFL rosters have the ability, but they have not been developed.  It takes the NFL coaches to maximize it.  Auburn is on the right track at the moment with our current staff.

While I get what you are trying to say, I honestly believe the exact opposite is happening.  The players they recruit out of bama have plenty of talent, but they have been developed to play in Saban's system, and it doesn't appear to translate to the NFL, since so many are busts.  The Auburn players are coming in as free agents and getting quality reps in their rookie season. What that tells me is that Auburn is better preparing it's players for the NFL. If the opposite were true, then bama's players would be excelling.

I'd argue that far too much is made of bama's RB busts. In fact, Richardson is the only one you can truly call a bust. Otherwise, their success rate is probably on par or possibly even superior to all RBs drafted in the 1st 3 rounds. 

Also, I'm not sure where all these big Auburn RB success stories in the NFL are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'd argue that far too much is made of bama's RB busts. In fact, Richardson is the only one you can truly call a bust. Otherwise, their success rate is probably on par or possibly even superior to all RBs drafted in the 1st 3 rounds. 

Also, I'm not sure where all these big Auburn RB success stories in the NFL are.

For the record, I wasn't talking running backs, I was talking players overall.

The point I was trying to make is that Drake getting drafted while Grant didn't could have little to do with one being a better back or more NFL ready, and a lot to do with the fact that the NFL not so wisely gives more credence to the ability of players coming out of bama... and they probably shouldn't.  Heck, Grant and Drake's 2016 stats are as close to identical as you can get.

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

For the record, I wasn't talking running backs, I was talking players overall.

Okay. We can expand it. I still don't see "so many busts". There are probably more busts than other schools, and there are certainly more success stories, because there are more bama players period. LSU numbers are probably similar. 

The point I was trying to make is that Drake getting drafted while Grant didn't could have little to do with one being a better back or more NFL ready, and a lot to do with the fact that the NFL not so wisely gives more credence to the ability of players coming out of bama... and they probably shouldn't.  Heck, Grant and Drake's 2016 stats are as close to identical as you can get.

I suppose that's possible, but the Drake/Grant example could as easily be an outlier as an actual example of that happening.

By the way, just watching film, I happen to think that Drake was a better college RB than Grant. Grant was obviously freaky fast and a home run hitter, but he showed poor vision and hips when getting reps at RB1 in 2014. I'm glad he's finding success at Jax. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

By the way, just watching film, I happen to think that Drake was a better college RB than Grant. Grant was obviously freaky fast and a home run hitter, but he showed poor vision and hips when getting reps at RB1 in 2014. I'm glad he's finding success at Jax.

I also didn't mean to indicate that Grant was better than Drake... just that he got more opportunity at Auburn because bama focuses their offense primarily on power running.  After all, the Offensive Line can't hold down field :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I also didn't mean to indicate that Grant was better than Drake... just that he got more opportunity at Auburn because bama focuses their offense primarily on power running.  After all, the Offensive Line can't hold down field :)

Gotcha. I could see where a tweener guy might find our offense more appealing. The only issue is that, like Roc Thomas*, a lot of those guys don't see themselves as tweeners or otherwise dependent upon a particular offense. Not sure Martin even qualifies as that kind of guy. But I'm drifting big time here.

*I agreed with Roc, but we were both wrong. 

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gotcha. I could see where a tweener guy might find our offense more appealing. The only issue is that, like Roc Thomas*, a lot of those guys don't see themselves as tweeners or otherwise dependent upon a particular offense. Not sure Martin even qualifies as that kind of guy. But I'm drifting big time here.

I'm with you on Martin, but he's got to work on his hands.

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

*I agreed with Roc, but we were both wrong. 

If he just wasn't so fragile... I'm interested to see what he can do at a lower level where maybe they don't play so rough.

20 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

You be the judge:

Auburn NFL rushing leaders

Bammer NFL rushing leaders

Take away Shaun Alexander and Bammer is crap in NFL.

Mark Ingram is far better than crap. Eddie Lacey posted back to back 1,000 yard seasons his first two years in the league. Jury's still out on Henry, Yeldon and Drake. 

And that's who I thought we were talking about- RBs from this era who are relevant to how a recruit would evaluate the respective programs. Bo Jackson doesn't really have anything to do with Asa Martin. Auburn's only meaningful RB in the modern era is a quarterback. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Auburn's only meaningful RB in the modern era is a quarterback. 

Though it is kind of funny that our quarterback has better rushing numbers in the NFL than any of their running backs from the same era.  Heck, he has more yards per attempt than all of their top 10.

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Though it is kind of funny that our quarterback has better rushing numbers in the NFL than any of their running backs from the same era.  Heck, he has more yards per attempt than all of their top 10.

It would be funnier if they didn't have three RBs in the top 40 in the NFL last season to our zero.

Gus is a run game savant and we have had some great kids but we haven't recruited the position like we should have. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It would be funnier if they didn't have three RBs in the top 40 in the NFL last season to our zero.

Gus is a run game savant and we have had some great kids but we haven't recruited the position like we should have. 

We have to wait and see what Barber and Grant end up doing. If they get used more, they could make waves. Last year, statistically, they were right there with the pack when it comes to situational backs. We'll probably never know if Tre could have been something, thanks to his personal issues. I think CAP is in some ways a victim of his team, but he definitely hasn't stepped up and made it happen, either. Our biggest problem is the two best backs we've recruited in the past decade ended up playing elsewhere because they had serious issues. Not to say any of bama's 3 NFL backs have issues, but if they did, they would have still finished their careers at bama.

13 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I'm of the opinion the REC pays NFL teams to draft bamr players.  :-\

Sarcasm noted.  No one is claiming there is some great conspiracy. It, however, cannot be denied that there is a perception in the NFL that bama is great at developing NFL players, and it also cannot be denied that they have had a notable number of players who didn't even come close to living up to their draft position. As to why they keep going back to the well, your guess is as good as anyone, but it goes without saying that the draft process probably can't be bought.

Just heard Rodney Orr (TiderInsider) say that Asa was #1 on UAt board and they are only taking 1 RB this year.  They are pushing hard for him right now.  They very much like his versatility

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

cannot be denied that there is a perception in the NFL that bama is great at developing NFL players

There is a perception in the NFL that bama is great at *recruiting* NFL players. They win because they're an extraordinarily talented football team.

it also cannot be denied that they have had a notable number of players who didn't even come close to living up to their draft position

Depends on how what makes it notable. If you're saying that it's notable relative to how many players they get drafted, then it can absolutely be denied. If you're saying it's notable because they get so many guys drafted that they have a high number of both failures *and* successes, then I can agree with that. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There is a perception in the NFL that bama is great at *recruiting* NFL players. They win because they're an extraordinarily talented football team.

True... and that perception is correct, the are great at recruiting NFL caliber players... the best ever in fact. So maybe @SumterAubie was right in a round about way :)

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If you're saying it's notable because they get so many guys drafted that they have a high number of both failures *and* successes, then I can agree with that. 

I think it's more notable because of the hype behind some of the guys who end up as washouts.

Edited by lionheartkc
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Just heard Rodney Orr (TiderInsider) say that Asa was #1 on UAt board and they are only taking 1 RB this year. 

That's surprising since he is nothing like Pierce. Are there no other every down/power backs available?

Just now, lionheartkc said:

That's surprising since he is nothing like Pierce. Are there no other every down/power backs available?

They mentioned one other on their board White.  Not sure who he is but those were the only two that UAt "is looking at right now".  Again according to their homer.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

True... and that perception is correct, the are great at recruiting NFL caliber players... the best ever in fact. So maybe @SumterAubie was right in a round about way :)

Hah! I'm all for the notion that they pay better than the rest of us on the front end, but I have to counter Sumter by saying that's why they wouldn't have to pay on the back end even if that were a thing. 

I think it's more notable because of the hype behind some of the guys who end up as washouts.

I can get with that. Those dudes even win Heismans because of that hype. 

• Like 1