2018 4* RB Asa Martin Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Unless we at least do a little work with them early, how deep the class is doesn't matter. We went through several years of very deep LB classes. We seemed to single out two or three, ignore the rest and by the time we'd missed on our chosen targets we were out of the running with the others. Hopefully we are smart enough to learn from the several years of making that mistake with LB's and won't repeat with the RB's. We need to cast a large enough net in order to be sure of landing at least one big fish come next February.

The point of my post is that we have casted a large net. Sincere apologies for not making that clear.

13 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

...... I do hope if we don't get him it isn't because we did not show him how much we want him. I hope we are showing him a lot of attention as earlier I read that Chip loves this kid.

If the article you read is correct, then we are showing him enough attention. To think we are ignoring a RB who is the OC's favorite is to believe madness prevails.

• Like 2

2 more Florida crystal balls for Asa martin today. 1 of them was the main florida guy on 247.

In depth with Asa Martin

Asa Martin, having grown up in Alabama, always liked Auburn. It's a school he badly wanted to offer him.

But as he waited for it to come, it "did sting a little bit," the 4-star running back from Decatur (Ala.) Austin admitted during an interview with the SEC Recruiting Buzz podcast.

For Martin, the wait ended in February.

Not long after Chip Lindsey became Tigers offensive coordinator, he offered. Now, Auburn is locked in a battle with Florida and a decision could come in the near future.

At this time, the Gators lead.

Martin's relationship with Florida coach Jim McElwain and running backs coach JaJuan Seider is a big reason why.

"Florida is one of the top up-coming programs,” Martin said. “I really like Coach Mac and they’re building something special over there.”

As for Lindsey, Martin communicates with him often and that is keeping Auburn very much in the game.

"He's a real cool guy, too," Martin said. "He's from the north Alabama area, so we definitely have some ties. Our relationship is going pretty smooth. I talk to him more than any coach right now."

*** Get free breaking news in the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

How would Auburn use Martin in the offense?

"They want to use me running the ball and catching the ball out of the backfield -- and catching the ball in the slot," Martin said. "I can do all those things well."

Martin will visit Auburn on April 8 for A-Day.

Click play to hear Martin's full interview as he goes in-depth on the Tigers, Gators, Michigan and Ole Miss.

Priority RB target explains how Auburn can catch up

Auburn’s top running back target is pretty clear.

The Tigers have several they’ll hope to lure in during the 2018 cycle, but 4-star prospect Asa Martin tops them all. The 5-foot-11, 194-pound running back from Decatur, Ala., isn’t just being recruited by Auburn running backs coach Tim Horton. In fact, it’s offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey who has taken on much of that recruitment, which shows Martin’s priority to Auburn.

When he received his Tigers’ offer in February, Martin-to-Auburn seemed like a safe bet. Even Martin thought that was the most likely scenario.

Then he visited Florida a few weeks ago. It was his second time in Gainesville. His first was when he played at IMG Academy as part of its team-wise bus tours. This return gave him a more personal look at the Gators.

They exceeded his expectations to the point he named Florida his outright leader.

“It was way more than I thought it was going to be,” Martin said. “It went really well. I got to spend a lot of time with the coaches. I got to spend time with the players. I just like the family atmosphere down there. … They just told me to come join the family. They tell me I’m their guy, so just whenever I’m ready, let them know.”

That news may be cause for concern for the Tigers.

DSC_0180-1_fqs4mm.jpg
Auburn RB target Asa Martin (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Auburn’s home-state pull — Alabama hasn’t been recruiting Martin since Mel Tucker was there — seemed like the biggest advantage any program had. Martin conceded that, heading into the Florida visit, that probably was the case. But the relationships he was able to develop over the weekend with Florida coach Jim McElwain and running backs coach Ja’Juan Seider changed the game.

Martin lists Auburn and Michigan in a two-way tie for second place and calls both programs “not too far” behind his leader.

Auburn remains in Martin’s good graces.

He spoke with Auburn running backs coach Tim Horton following his Florida visit. Asked if Auburn seemed like he was feeling the pressure, Martin smiled, laughed and said that the Tigers shouldn’t even if they do. Martin doesn’t plan on making his decision in the immediate future, and Auburn does have one key edge over Florida.

“Auburn has been the home-state,” Martin said. “It’s Alabama. It’s in-state. They want help getting the program back up. I wouldn’t say they’re worrying too much. It’s home-state Alabama, so anything can happen.”

RELATED: Asa Martin’s family wants him at Florida after visit

Martin will return to Auburn for A-Day on April 8. He wants to make it to Michigan for a spring practice, if possible.

These visits will help Martin continue to gauge his comfort levels at other schools. But Martin isn’t in a rush to pick a program. The 4-star running back prospect referenced past decision he’s made that will influence how he handles his recruitment going forward. Martin previously chose to attend IMG Academy before returning to Decatur because of homesickness.

He doesn’t want to make any snap decisions this time around.

“They all just need to keep doing the same thing. It’s about me feeling comfortable. That’s a big part of that. I’ve got to be comfortable wherever I go,” Martin said. “I made a couple decisions I didn’t really like. I made them too fast, so I’ve got to be comfortable wherever I go.”

• 3 weeks later...

AU closing ground on Gators

4-star RB Asa Martin, Austin

DSC_0180-1_fqs4mm.jpg
Auburn RB target Asa Martin (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Kirschner: Florida still leads for the state of Alabama’s best running back, but after a recent trip to Auburn, the Tigers have closed the gap on the Gators. Martin admits, when he was last in Gainesville, commitment was on his mind. He has a very close relationship with Florida running backs coach Ja’Juan Seider. Martin is planning to visit Texas who recently offered. He says the Longhorns, depending on the visit, could make things interesting. Outside of those three schools, there is a wide gap between the rest.

Wolk: The No. 1 running back in the state of Alabama isn’t guaranteed to stay in-state, but Auburn is going to make it hard. On his Florida visit last month, Martin said he was as close to committing as he’d ever been. The Gators jumped out to the No. 1 spot, and while that hasn’t changed, Martin said Auburn has closed the gap almost entirely. His A-Day visit made him feel like Auburn might be the best place for him. Martin said Chip Lindsey, Gus Malzahn and Tim Horton have made a serious effort to build a relationship with his mother, which is something that had Florida holding a major edge over the rest of his suitors. Right now, it looks like it’ll be an Auburn-Florida battle until the end, which will likely come just before the start of Martin’s senior season. There are a few programs — Texas, Texas A&M and Nebraska — that could make Martin re-evalutate once he’s able to take visits to those places.

Auburn makes wise move

DECATUR, Ala. — Florida’s lead for Asa Martin isn’t set in stone.

Florida continues to lead for the Austin (Ala.) running back, but Auburn has closed the gap. After a long wait before extending an offer, the Tigers have started to prioritize Martin on their running back board. The 6-foot, 195-pound prospect felt the love on his most recent visit to the Plains, which made the race between Auburn and Florida that much closer.

“The gap is a little closer now, but nothing has changed with the order,” Martin said. “The Auburn visit went really well. I got everything I needed out of it. … I got a good talk with coach (Gus) Malzahn, and we just talked about staying in-state and building a legacy here. It went real good.”

Regarding that conversation, it brings up an interesting point about in-state running backs. Since 2010, the No. 1 running back in the state of Alabama has signed with either Auburn or Alabama.

In 2018, that’s Martin.

DSC_0760_zwhhvp.jpg
Auburn RB target Asa Martin (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

He’s the state’s top running back, and rarely does a person in that role leave the Yellowhammer State. New Alabama offensive coordinator Brian Daboll has reached out to Martin a few times about getting to Tuscaloosa for a visit, but Martin hasn’t been able to make the trip. Even if he did, Martin said he doesn’t think the visit to Alabama would alter his recruitment.

That puts the onus on Auburn to maintain the state’s reputation of keeping its best running back in-state. So far, the Tigers are doing a good job to gain some momentum of Florida.

“I wouldn’t say I was close (to committing to Florida a few weeks ago), but I was thinking a little bit. I didn’t get that feeling, but it feels like home,” Martin said. “Then when I was at A-Day, you know, it was a tough decision. Because A-Day was like: ‘Wow. How can you say no to this?’ But it’s the same way with Florida. How can you say no?”

Martin said Tuesday that his decision plans have been fluid.

There were times that he thought he’d get it out of the way soon, but now he’s shooting to announce his final decision sometime shortly before his senior season at Austin. That will give him time to visit a few other programs — Texas (offered Monday), Nebraska and Texas A&M, if possible.

Do any of those programs have a chance to give Auburn and Florida a push?

“You know, I’ve got to visit schools I haven’t seen before,” Martin said. “I won’t really know until I visit. If the visit goes as well as they’re thinking, then maybe.”

With that said, when Martin commits at the end of summer, I’d be surprised if it was any more than an Auburn-Florida decision.

Martin’s motherly influence on Auburn, Florida

Florida held a few advantages over Auburn.

He is closer with Gators running backs coach Ja’Juan Seider than any other coach in the country. During his junior season at IMG Academy, he got a better feel for the Florida campus, and it’s always been one of his favorites. And, even though it was just by two days, Florida offered Martin before Auburn did.

But probably the biggest reason: his mother.

Martin’s mother hasn’t pushed him one way or another, but until Auburn’s spring game, Florida had been in regular communication with her. Auburn hadn’t.

DSC_0758_kcy8kf.jpg
Auburn RB target Asa Martin (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

That has changed drastically in the last week.

“My mom and coach (Chip) Lindsey are starting to build a relationship now. They’re starting to text. That’s one of the things I was missing. She didn’t really have a relationship. She hadn’t talked to them really. Now they have that going,” Martin said. “They’re just talking to her about the program, just them as people. My mom, she has always had that with Florida coaches. That’s one thing she didn’t have with Auburn.”

Auburn and Florida have both vouched since offering that Martin is the top priority at running back.

At times, he didn’t know what to believe. But, with the newly-initiated contact between Auburn coaches and mom, Martin thinks Florida and Auburn are on a level playing field in terms of prioritization.

“That’s one of the things my mom wanted to see,” Martin said. “At first, they weren’t really in contact with her. They were only really in contact with me. She was like, ‘They might not really want you as much as they say they do.’ So now they’re really showing that a lot more.”

I would really hate for us to lose this guy to an out of state SEC rival. I hope coaches Horton and Lindsey can work their magic with dear, old mom, who in turn can work her magic with Asa.

Edited by milehighfan

35 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I like the direction of his recruitment. In the end it will be AU. 

Hope you're right. I like the look of him and Teague on film, would love to get one of those guys (sounds like Teague is a long shot at best).

11 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I like the direction of his recruitment. In the end it will be AU. 

Again preacherman, like with Bo, I hope you're right.

• Like 1

Martin’s friendship with Gatewood, Peters will help Auburn’s chances

DECATUR, Ala. — After A-Day, Auburn’s vocal recruiting leader made it well-known who the Tigers prioritized at the spring game.

Quarterback commit Joey Gatewood mentioned Justyn Ross, who has been a top priority of his since the beginning. But the Auburn point man mentioned another offensive skill player who actually was his biggest target throughout the A-Day festivities.

That was the state’s top running back target, Asa Martin.

“I probably spent more time with Asa than I did with anyone,” Gatewood said.

DSC_0756_fdaoex.jpg
Auburn target Asa Martin is the state of Alabama’s top running back prospect. (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

Martin noticed.

He spent much of the spring game alongside the future Auburn signal caller. The two shared Auburn visit experiences and watched intently as the Tigers flaunted a more pass-heavy offense, which encouraged the use of running backs in the vertical passing game.

Those conversations played a huge role in Martin confirming that Auburn closed the gap on Florida as his top school.

“They’re just contacting me to come be a part of it,” Martin said. “They think they’re going to do something special, and I think so, too. All the guys they have and the guys they have committed, including Joey, I really talk to him a bunch now.”

Gatewood wasn’t the only Auburn player who made a point to spend extra time with Martin at A-Day.

Auburn has done a particularly impressive job recruiting the north side of the state in recent recruiting classes. Jordyn Peters was the gem from the 2017 cycle, which will help play a role in the recruitment of Martin in 2018. Peters and Martin faced off against one another in region play during their high school careers. The two even joked pregame about a particular play in which Peters admitted Martin got the best of him.

That familiarity made Martin feel right at home inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

“I was talking to Jordyn for a lot of it. We both came from the same area. Just going to play at Auburn together would be really fun, really special,” Martin said. “I really enjoyed mine and his conversation.”

• Like 4

On topic, I think Martin is a perfect fit for this offense and I am increasingly liking our chances. Off topic, I am as excited about the potential of Jordyn Peters as any recruit in this past years class. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

State’s top RB, Asa Martin, visits the Plains

Auburn hosted a major visitor over the weekend.

As a run-first offense — at least in previous Gus Malzahn years — the Tigers continue their search for their feature running back in the 2018 recruiting class. Shaun Shivers is already on board, but Auburn hopes to take one or two more.

The top running back in the state, Asa Martin, visited the Plains with his family this weekend, which included a photo op with Malzahn.

Martin has referred to Florida as his top school more than once, but told SEC Country recently that Auburn had closed that gap significantly. A big piece of the puzzle missing was the Auburn coaching staff’s relationship with his mother compared to the Florida staff.

It appears the Tigers are making serious moves to make up for lost time.

• Like 1

Visit to Auburn 'personal' for No. 7 RB

Jeffrey Lee | Senior Editor

Martin then met with offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey, who showed the running back how he would be used in the Tigers’ new scheme.

“Coach Lindsey showed me the offense and how they’re starting to throw the ball more to the running backs,” Martin said. “I like that. I got to find out everything about the program, the offense and I got a lot of my questions answered.”

Martin capped the visit by meeting with running backs coach Tim Horton, who also serves as Martin’s area recruiter.

“He’s a football guy,” Martin said. “He’s crazy about football, and also a really cool guy, a really good guy. Me and Coach Horton are pretty close.”

Martin previously listed Florida his leader with Auburn a close second, but after Saturday’s visit, he’s not so sure he has a true No. 1.

“I wouldn’t say anybody really has a lead, not big enough to mention,” Martin said. “Alabama has come on a little bit lately, so I’ve added them to the mix. Auburn, Florida and Alabama are all real tight.”

Martin plans to visit Florida again this summer, and he’ll return to Auburn for Big Cat on June 3.

“Auburn has a home feeling,” Martin said. “I’ve been there a bunch of times. My relationships with the coaches have really grown the past couple months, and my mom’s relationships with them have grown, too. Auburn is a beautiful place with a beautiful campus.”

Martin plans to announce his commitment in August, possibly Aug. 24, which is a day before Austin opens the season against Walker.

“I’ll probably end up making it the day before my first game,” Martin said. “It could change, but that’s my plan right now.”

As a junior, Martin, playing at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., had 49 carries for 372 yards (7.6 avg.) and four touchdowns. He also caught 17 passes for 235 yards (13.8 avg.).

Rivals ranks Martin, who stands six feet tall and weighs 190 pounds, the No. 4 overall player in Alabama and No. 121 in the Rivals250.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think this is great news for us that he doesn't have any leaders any more. I have a strong feeling that he ends up signing with us.

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

I think this is great news for us that he doesn't have any leaders any more. I have a strong feeling that he ends up signing with us.

IDK. We are likely only taking one of him & Teague and from what I gather it sounds like the staff likes Teague more.

43 minutes ago, ellitor said:

IDK. We are likely only taking one of him & Teague and from what I gather it sounds like the staff likes Teague more.

As long as we get one of these two I will be real happy. Both are the kind of players that would help our offense.

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

As long as we get one of these two I will be real happy. Both are the kind of players that would help our offense.

In different ways. MT3 is built to be an every down back. Asa's game is one that can be used like Kerryon Johnson's.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

In different ways. MT3 is built to be an every down back. Asa's game is one that can be used like Kerryon Johnson's.

I agree but with Chip as the new O coordinator there is a good chance that we will pass to the back more which fits Martin's game.  That is why I would be happy with either as each brings different strength's to this team. Kerryon was good last year despite his injuries if he can stay healthy he may blossom especially on well planned passes to him where he can isolate on a LB one on one in the open field.

Martin seems to be the better fit within the new offense of CCL, throwing more to the running backs. I also like the idea of him being that versatile guy like KJ is. I'll defer to the coaches and who they want though!