2018 4* RB Asa Martin Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

Let me tell ya, Asa Martin is from my home high school.... and no one trains off season as hard as Asa.. great kid! 

Hope he is wearing Orange & Blue soon!  WDE!!

1 hour ago, aufootball1 said:

Let me tell ya, Asa Martin is from my home high school.... and no one trains off season as hard as Asa.. great kid! 

Hope he is wearing Orange & Blue soon!  WDE!!

What year did you graduate?  I'm a 1995 AHS graduate.  

Martin releases finalists, sets decision date

Jeffrey Lee | Senior Editor

Austin four-star running back Asa Martin will choose Auburn, Alabama or Florida, and he’ll announce which one before his senior season begins.

Martin on Thursday released the list of his finalists, as well as his decision date, Aug. 24, Thursday on Twitter. His announcement will be held at the auditorium at Austin High School.

Martin, who is ranked the No. 7 running back in the 2018 class, has been high on Auburn and Florida since early in his recruitment. Alabama recently increased its interest and has moved into Martin’s top group.

Martin has visited each of his three finalists, including Auburn, which he last visited in mid-May. Martin also will attend Auburn’s Big Cat event on Saturday. 

“Auburn has a home feeling,” Martin said in May. “I’ve been there a bunch of times. My relationships with the coaches have really grown the past couple months, and my mom’s relationships with them have grown, too. Auburn is a beautiful place with a beautiful campus.”

Martin will announce his decision between the three SEC schools a day before Austin opens the season against Walker.

As a junior, Martin, playing at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., had 49 carries for 372 yards (7.6 avg.) and four touchdowns. He also caught 17 passes for 235 yards (13.8 avg.).

Rivals ranks Martin, who stands six feet tall and weighs 190 pounds, the No. 3 overall player in Alabama and No. 127 in the Rivals250.

57 minutes ago, ellitor said:

So he's announcing in AUgust at AUstin High School in the AUditorium. Sorry but at the risk of sounding like the game of Clue this has AUburn written all over it. :jossun:

• Like 5

Wasn't weinke a coach at IMG and now an off the field coach on the bama staff? I must be wrong about that because bama couldn't recruit Asa under the new rules right?

Edited by AU80cruiser

9 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Wasn't weinke a coach at IMG and now an off the field coach on the bama staff? I must be wrong about that because bama couldn't recruit Asa under the new rules right?

Weinke left IMG after 2014 season. Was QB Coach with the St. Louis/LA Lambs in 2015-16

• Like 2

When was the last time bama properly utilized a player like Asa? Maybe we should arrange a conversation with Corey Grant.

26 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

When was the last time bama properly utilized a player like Asa? Maybe we should arrange a conversation with Corey Grant.

Would Kenyan Drake qualify? 

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Would Kenyan Drake qualify? 

Maybe... in his whole career at bama, he got as many yards as AU backs tend to get in a season. Heck, Grant got over 1000 yards in 2 years playing on a team with Mason and Marshall getting a ton of the ground yards. Drake took 4 years to get 1495. I stand by my belief that bama thrives on bruisers and marginalizes speed backs. Auburn is far more balanced in their rushing attack.

Of course, bama also gets them drafted because they are bama, so there is that.

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Maybe... in his whole career at bama, he got as many yards as AU backs tend to get in a season. Heck, Grant got over 1000 yards in 2 years playing on a team with Mason and Marshall getting a ton of the ground yards. Drake took 4 years to get 1495. I stand by my belief that bama thrives on bruisers and marginalizes speed backs. Auburn is far more balanced in their rushing attack.

Of course, bama also gets them drafted because they are bama, so there is that.

Well, he also broke a leg in his junior year after 5 games and then broke his arm as a senior, although he did get in 13 games with about 700 total yards. And he was backing up Derrick Henry, who won the Heisman. And he did get touches both as a freshman and a sophomore, which, with the constant stream of NFL RBs they've had, is pretty impressive. That said, it doesn't really dispute your original point. Guys that we think of as smaller, shiftier, non-traditional workhorse RBs don't seem to have much of a role in bama's offense. Thing is, they haven't in ours, either, other than Grant and McCalebb. I think that can change, though, with fresh playcalling and the right personnel. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Well, he also broke a leg in his junior year after 5 games and then broke his arm as a senior, although he did get in 13 games with about 700 total yards. And he was backing up Derrick Henry, who won the Heisman. And he did get touches both as a freshman and a sophomore, which, with the constant stream of NFL RBs they've had, is pretty impressive. That said, it doesn't really dispute your original point. Guys that we think of as smaller, shiftier, non-traditional workhorse RBs don't seem to have much of a role in bama's offense. Thing is, they haven't in ours, either, other than Grant and McCalebb. I think that can change, though, with fresh playcalling and the right personnel. 

Yea, we've got the plays for them, they have just been relegated to our fast receivers, I think primarily because the backs we've had for that roll have either been fragile (Roc) or had hands issues (Martin).  Hopefully the later will be fixing that.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Sooo this Asa cat seems like he would be a versatile back in Chip's O.

Hard to say since no one has seen Chip's AU offense.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Hard to say since no one has seen Chip's AU offense.

We have seen his USM & Zona St Os though so we have an idea of what he wants to do.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Noted and respected, @ellitor.

Discussion of utility players might be moot, anyway, because I'm sure Martin sees himself as a feature back. 

Well I know how you & Lion like to IM sometimes in threads so I figure I should give a little friendly nudge so when I come back after the AU baseball game is over in a few hours there's not a page or 2 on K. Drake.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2017 at 0:27 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

What year did you graduate?  I'm a 1995 AHS graduate.  

Sorry, just got back. I didnt graduate from AHS. Moved to Decatur 9 years ago. 

On 6/2/2017 at 9:19 AM, lionheartkc said:

Ummm, Corey Grant was grossly underutilized during his senior year so I'm not sure I'd call him.

Not to play devil's advocate, but Bama used a player like Asa extremely well in Kenyan Drake who went on to be taken in the 3rd Round of the NFL Draft by the Dolphins.

43 minutes ago, TigerWar said:

Ummm, Corey Grant was grossly underutilized during his senior year so I'm not sure I'd call him.

Not to play devil's advocate, but Bama used a player like Asa extremely well in Kenyan Drake who went on to be taken in the 3rd Round of the NFL Draft by the Dolphins.

Loof and I actually discussed that in this thread.  If you look at the numbers, Grant got a lot more opportunity out of his time at Auburn than Drake did at bama. bama builds their offense around power running, not speed.

Alabama seems to have 1000 backs competing in the backfield every year . Hopefully he comes to his senses and make the logical choice . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Alabama seems to have 1000 backs competing in the backfield every year . Hopefully he comes to his senses and make the logical choice . 

They have 5-stars holding water bottles for the backups who are 5-stars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Loof and I actually discussed that in this thread.  If you look at the numbers, Grant got a lot more opportunity out of his time at Auburn than Drake did at bama. bama builds their offense around power running, not speed.

We both know that the ultimate goal of the majority of football players is to make it to the NFL and under Saban, Bama does a lot of that.

Kenyon Drake: 3rd Round

Corey Grant: Undrafted FA

• Like 1