2018 4* RB Asa Martin Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

Teague or Pierce are much better fits for our system IMO.  Asa is a very good running back, but I don't believe he fits our system as well as DP or MT.  He does not fit Bama either.  If he goes to Bama he will never see any significant PT at rb.

• Like 2

Can we go back to the part where @McLoofus argued that Lacy was not a bust one breath and then said Auburn had no "meaningful" RBs in the modern other than Cam? We're crediting Eddie Lacy (Offensive ROY, 1 Pro Bowl, 1100+ yards twice, 4000+ yards from scrimmage) and discounting Cadillac Williams (Offensive ROY, 1100+ yards once, 1000 total yards two other seasons, 5000+ yards from scrimmage)? We're saying Mark Ingram (1 Pro Bowl, 1000+ yards rushing once, 1000+ total yards two other seasons, 5000+ yards from scrimmage) isn't a bust but saying Ronnie Brown (1 Pro Bowl, 1000 yards rushing once, 1000+ total yards two other seasons, 7000+ yards from scrimmage) isn't a meaningful RB in the modern era? 

That doesn't even touch Stephen Davis (if that's the modern era for kids now) or Rudi Johnson. Davis and Alexander posted similar career numbers with higher peaks for Alexander. Both had for seasons above 1300 yards rushing; both had three Pro Bowl seasons. Alexander was better, but they're comparable. People forget how good Rudi was. Three seasons with 1300+ yards but only one Pro Bowl. The gap between him and Davis is really only about longevity.

I'd say anyone running in the 2000s is a "modern era" back, and Auburn has had as many or more successes with fewer busts than Bama. That's without even getting into the question of whether Brandon Jacobs counts or not.

As for the RB discussion, I liked Teague's film the best. Pierce is up there as well. I think Asa Martin has a high ceiling, but he's also the kind of back that can get lost in the shuffle because he might not be outstanding at any one thing. I could see him not being our speed option (with guys like Stove, Iggy, Kam Martin, and Shivers on campus). I could see him not being our lead back (with Malik Miller and Devan Barrett already).

Martin is good enough that he's not an "okay I'll take him." He's a guy you get excited about, but I would be more excited with Teague or Pierce.

4 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Can we go back to the part where @McLoofus argued that Lacy was not a bust one breath and then said Auburn had no "meaningful" RBs in the modern other than Cam? We're crediting Eddie Lacy (Offensive ROY, 1 Pro Bowl, 1100+ yards twice, 4000+ yards from scrimmage) and discounting Cadillac Williams (Offensive ROY, 1100+ yards once, 1000 total yards two other seasons, 5000+ yards from scrimmage)? We're saying Mark Ingram (1 Pro Bowl, 1000+ yards rushing once, 1000+ total yards two other seasons, 5000+ yards from scrimmage) isn't a bust but saying Ronnie Brown (1 Pro Bowl, 1000 yards rushing once, 1000+ total yards two other seasons, 7000+ yards from scrimmage) isn't a meaningful RB in the modern era? 

That doesn't even touch Stephen Davis (if that's the modern era for kids now) or Rudi Johnson. Davis and Alexander posted similar career numbers with higher peaks for Alexander. Both had for seasons above 1300 yards rushing; both had three Pro Bowl seasons. Alexander was better, but they're comparable. People forget how good Rudi was. Three seasons with 1300+ yards but only one Pro Bowl. The gap between him and Davis is really only about longevity.

I'd say anyone running in the 2000s is a "modern era" back, and Auburn has had as many or more successes with fewer busts than Bama. That's without even getting into the question of whether Brandon Jacobs counts or not.

I'm not going to speak for McLoofus, but when I was reading through this thread this morning, I was under the impression that the discussion revolved around Nick Saban's tenure at Alabama. I could be wrong, that's just how I was reading it. 

• Like 2

Oh well, gracious, that's definitely not the modern era. But if that's the small cut of time we're observing, this isn't close. At all. The best RB we've put in the NFL in that time is Ben Tate (one season of 1000 yards from scrimmage, one other year 900+ total yards).

8 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Oh well, gracious, that's definitely not the modern era. But if that's the small cut of time we're observing, this isn't close. At all. The best RB we've put in the NFL in that time is Ben Tate (one season of 1000 yards from scrimmage, one other year 900+ total yards).

I agree about the modern era part. I've always thought of the modern era as beginning with Spurrier at Florida. I was just reading this discussion as Saban-era Alabama NFL successes/busts relative to Auburn NFL successes and busts within the same time frame, but again I could be wrong. 

edit: I also think its difficult to talk about Alabama as they are today, outside the context of Nick Saban, just because of how distinctly different their program became after he arrived. 

Edited by Barnacle
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

5 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Dude. Settle down.

The only Auburn RB you mentioned that is remotely relevant to this conversation is Tate, and he is indeed of very remote relevance.

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm not going to speak for McLoofus, but when I was reading through this thread this morning, I was under the impression that the discussion revolved around Nick Saban's tenure at Alabama. I could be wrong, that's just how I was reading it. 

Exactly, because saban is still the one recruiting RBs at bama and putting them into the NFL at a much higher and more successful clip than our current coach is. Seemed pretty obvious but I guess not.

This is about where E tells me to get back on topic, and I'd have to agree with him. Apologies, all. Martin would be a great get but I can't blame him if he goes to the dark side.

• Like 1

Both Martin and Pierce would fit very nicely in our offense. I hope they will commit to Auburn before the season starts.

On June 14, 2017 at 7:56 PM, auburn4ever said:

Both Martin and Pierce would fit very nicely in our offense. I hope they will commit to Auburn before the season starts.

And then I hope that we win all of our games.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

9 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Any word on his time in AU this weekend?

Will post articles soon but Bama is in a good spot right now.

On 7/23/2017 at 5:40 AM, ellitor said:

Will post articles soon but Bama is in a good spot right now.

This. Bama is very confident. Which we are looking for a guy we believe can be a 20 plus carry a game back and Martin isn't that guy. If KP leaves we will only have Malik Miller who could fill that role who I should mention is gone be a good one. We would take Asa and still go after someone like a Pierce or Teague if he was to show interest in flipping.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

This. Bama is very confident. Which we are looking for a guy we believe can be a 20 plus carry a game back and Martin isn't that guy. If KP leaves we will only have Malik Miller who could fill that role who I should mention is gone be a good one. We would take Asa and still go after someone like a Pierce or Teague if he was to show interest in flipping.

Asa Martin the guy who in a matter of months was all Florida then all Auburn now all Bama. Said he was a lifelong Auburn fan first then recently I saw in a interview said he grew up a Ohio state fan! lol #crutin These kids man! All over the place.

10 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

You don't think Barrett can be an every down type after he bulks up a bit?

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He can but needs 30 lbs. Or 20 at least. He is 180 or I have heard he has out a little on so I will say 185. If he adds the weight and shows he can be then our philosophy might change on needing an every down back this cycle. Teague would have been the perfect fit for what we need this year. Now Barrett is one of the guys who if he played at a higher class of football in Florida could have been a 5 star or higher than he was rated if he performed the same IMO.  NCM I know was once the top player in the country at one time from the same school but he had size speed and the catching ability to show that he would dominate anywhere he played. I believe they play 3A at Tampa Catholic in Florida somebody correct me of I'm wrong. That's certainly not scrubs would be about like 5A in alabama.

Tre and Bubba both have every down back ability I am talking about. Will hit the hole and hit a lb head on of needed to get the extra yard. DB has a great running style fit wise for the offense doesn't dance around makes a cut and hits the hole. We will see if he is willing to take on those SEC lb head on to get the yards needed.

Edited by austudnt23

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I sure do...kid looks very strong for his weight now and will only get bigger and stronger as he goes through AU's strength and conditioning program.  We are loaded at RB right now and seem to only be getting better.  If Bubba and KJ have big years again, along with a strong passing game...look out!  Kids are gonna be salivating to play here...

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Tre Mason played at about 200 right?  He was plenty.

Tre is shorter and runs alot lower to the ground than DB.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Tre Mason played at about 200 right?  He was plenty.

190 freshman year FTR.

6 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

I sure do...kid looks very strong for his weight now and will only get bigger and stronger as he goes through AU's strength and conditioning program.  We are loaded at RB right now and seem to only be getting better.  If Bubba and KJ have big years again, along with a strong passing game...look out!  Kids are gonna be salivating to play here...

Loaded I wouldn't say. We are set for this year. If Bubba leaves we have one back Malik that can carry the load of 20 plus times a game. That is unless DB fills the role.

• Like 1

With the muscle KJ has put on he might be a 20 carry back also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Loaded I wouldn't say. We are set for this year. If Bubba leaves we have one back Malik that can carry the load of 20 plus times a game. That is unless DB fills the role.

Whitlow would be a wild card I am guessing, not sure what you have heard about him early on, but the fall camp could be interesting if he shows signs of developing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With the muscle KJ has put on he might be a 20 carry back also.

Muscles alone doesn't make you a 20+ carry back. You also have to have the running style & body to handle it. KJ's legs have had problems staying healthy enough.