kickoff time for A-Day

aubiefifty

tigerland

Auburn sets kickoff time for 2017 A-Day game

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn officially set the time for its annual A-Day spring game.

The program will hold its annual intrasquad scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium on April 8 beginning at 1 p.m, the school announced via Twitter on Monday afternoon. The school revealed the date for A-Day back in July, prior to the start of fall camp, but had not set a kickoff time for the event.

Spring practice for Auburn begins Feb. 28.

With the A-Day game set for April 8, it will mark the earliest date for the scrimmage during coach Gus Malzahn's tenure. Last year's game was played on April 9.

Auburn traditionally charges fans $5 for admission to the game, but additional details have yet to be made available.

Auburn also announced the date for its 2017 homecoming game. The Tigers' homecoming game will come on Sept. 16 against Mercer during the third week of the season. It will be Auburn's earliest homecoming game under Malzahn.

22 hours ago, DAG said:

It would be nice to see the 1st team O go against the 1st team D 

Full contact?  Sacrilege! That would be an encouraging sign though.

I know you can't play 12 death matches but playing Mercer is embarrassing.  Really embarrassing.  This might be the worst team I have ever seen Auburn schedule and that is not meant to be a knock on Mercer.  To be honest I am at a loss for words.

17 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I know you can't play 12 death matches but playing Mercer is embarrassing.  Really embarrassing.  This might be the worst team I have ever seen Auburn schedule and that is not meant to be a knock on Mercer.  To be honest I am at a loss for words.

We have had the top 5 toughest schedules in college football in the past few years, I think we are allowed to have a breather.  At least we aren't UGA that just has to float by to look decent with their poor scheduling.

On 2/20/2017 at 8:03 AM, abw0004 said:

We have had the top 5 toughest schedules in college football in the past few years, I think we are allowed to have a breather.  At least we aren't UGA that just has to float by to look decent with their poor scheduling.

There are a whole lot of bad teams that we could play before we got down to Mercer.  We laugh at Bama when they play Georgia State but this is even worse than that.

Why not play Troy or South? seriously it is ridiculous we do not play the other D1 teams in our state.It would create at least some interest in the game.

Although if we had played Troy early in the season we probably would have lost.

There is nothing to gain from playing one of the in state teams other than Bama.  If you win, well you are supposed to.  If you lose, well look at the Jax St. game a couple years back.  You couldn't live that down.  The in state teams on the other hand have everything to gain and nothing to lose.  No reason we should be helping other programs in the same recruiting area as us.

10 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

No reason we should be helping other programs in the same recruiting area as us.

I get the old "we win, it's expected, we lose, we look extra bad" thing... though I think that applies to any cupcake no matter where they are from.  That being said, when was the last time we lost a recruiting battle with anyone who wasn't a Power 5 program?

16 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

There are a whole lot of bad teams that we could play before we got down to Mercer.  We laugh at Bama when they play Georgia State but this is even worse than that.

Speaking of Bama, they also play Mercer on Nov 18th. 

15 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I get the old "we win, it's expected, we lose, we look extra bad" thing... though I think that applies to any cupcake no matter where they are from.  That being said, when was the last time we lost a recruiting battle with anyone who wasn't a Power 5 program?

Agreed. I mean, we almost lost to both Utah State and La Monroe in consecutive years too, does that mean we should avoid any "cupcake" games at all costs? The thing to gain would be attendance. A game with instate teams would likely bring in more opposing fans consistently and sell more tickets for games that are traditionally a major struggle to sell out. Beyond that, aside from a near loss to JSU by a subpar Auburn team, I don't think we've struggled with any other in state teams at that level. We've hammered A&M when we've played them and I recall beating UAB relatively comfortably in the mid 90s. If Auburn is only good/average, we shouldn't worry too much about those games. 

7 hours ago, tamck1 said:

Speaking of Bama, they also play Mercer on Nov 18th. 

Mercer's on the publicity roll...

On 2/22/2017 at 6:32 PM, lionheartkc said:

Mercer's rakin' it in, more like.  Good for them.

That is exactly what I meant.  Carpe diem!

Archived