Men's Postseason chatter thread (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

18 hours ago, au302 said:

How much longer can we use the "Barbee took us down" excuse? I was fine with it at first but it's getting annoying. I think if anyone deserves major blame it's Jay Jacobs. How that ass clown is our AD is beyond me. I think this team is frustrating to watch but its been a fun ride. If we can beat either UGA or Arky, and beat Mizzou (who's gotten better and could easily beat us) we could probably make the NIT.  

What do you want Jay Jacobs to do? We have a very nice arena, the best possible coach we could currently have (IMO), and we are recruiting at the highest level in program history. I say have some patience...It takes a while to build up a program.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, autigersj said:

What do you want Jay Jacobs to do? We have a very nice arena, the best possible coach we could currently have (IMO), and we are recruiting at the highest level in program history. I say have some patience...It takes a while to build up a program.

I should've clarified. I just don't think JJ should be AD based off all the stuff he's done besides basketball. Yea, he blew the Barbee hire, but he's blown other hires too. I'm all for Bruce and I'll give him more time. I think he should look into some staffing changes but he's done a good job. And yes, the more I think about it I guess we can still use the Barbee excuse, but I do believe this is the last year we can do it. 

On 2/23/2017 at 4:48 PM, au302 said:

I should've clarified. I just don't think JJ should be AD based off all the stuff he's done besides basketball. Yea, he blew the Barbee hire, but he's blown other hires too. I'm all for Bruce and I'll give him more time. I think he should look into some staffing changes but he's done a good job. And yes, the more I think about it I guess we can still use the Barbee excuse, but I do believe this is the last year we can do it. 

Again for what? The program made clear & distinct progress this year.

This team has improved Pearl coming in so late meant we really didn't recruit his first year so the reality is his second year was his first year recruiting and he had been out of recruiting for many years so he had to start from scratch building relationships with HS coaches and players. If we had hired a current coach he would already have had those relationships so would not have been starting from scratch. By taking Pearl as opposed to an established coach I think we got a great coach who can turn us around but at basically the expense of recruiting in his first two years. Now that he has established the relationships we are getting quality basketball players. This year was the first year those players had an impact and we are seeing the improvement.  Nobody other than Lang who has made a contribution this year has more than two years in this system and the majority only have one year there is only so much you can expect based on that situation. Without a couple of key injuries Purifoy and Spencer we probably have 2 or 3 more wins and are still on the cusp of an NCAA invite but would be looking real good for an NIT invite.

We are not there yet and we still need another big man for next year to really get to the next level next year. Without another big man we will be a lot better and will probably get to NCAA but will have a short ride unless we shoot lights out from the three shot area. The great teams play D and score both inside and outside depending on what they need against the team they are playing against.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Again for what? The program made clear & distinct prograss this year.

But some fans that are sunshine pumping want it both ways. They want to give Bruce credit for having a winning season, yet blame the Barbee stuff on why in year 3 we're still in the bottom half of the league. Bruce has built this team how he wants and recruited guys he wanted. This is his team now. 

If we don't make the NIT, then I'd rather not go to any tournament. Going to a watered down tournament just isn't going to create any excitement. Making the CBI tournament wouldn't be a recruiting tool and I would hope that we don't hang a banner in Auburn Arena for making the CBI or if we actually won the tournament. The CBI has been taking teams with overall losing records. At least the NIT has some prestige and has a lot of history of having quality teams playing in that tournament.  In order to make the NIT we're going to have to at least win one of the two against Arkansas and Georgia and then beat Missouri. If we lose to both Arkansas and Georgia, I don't see how we're going to get into the NIT unless we win 2-3 game s and go on a run in the SEC Tournament.

I know you've reeled off several positives about this season but if we don't make the NIT then I'd hesitate to consider this season that much of a success. The positive of having an overall winning record is tempered for me because our SEC record is still bad. We're currently tied for 9th place in the SEC standings and will probably finish lower. Our only good SEC wins are over Alabama...... 4 of our 6 SEC wins are over teams below us in the SEC standings, Missouri, LSU(twice) and Mississippi State.

Bruce is putting butts in seats (part of the criteria to being a successful coach) and putting an exciting game on the floor.  I, too, want more wins, but it has improved each year Bruce has been here.  Look at the talent he has been able to bring in:  Mustapha Heron, Ronnie Johnson (grad transfer yes, but wanted to play for Pearl), Jared Harper (imagine Jared Harper when he has Ronnie's experience!), Anfernee McLemore (would love if we could get him and Wiley on the floor together consistently but need another big man to do that) and then Bryce Brown last year (forgot when Dunans came).  Point is - Pearl is getting better guys and getting AU better in the course of it.

Post season play - I'll take any we can get.  Love to make the tournament or NIT but will take the CBI.  Any time these guys can play more together, the better they will be.  More exposure also helps in recruiting.  I can't see it being a bad thing to post season play.

Considering Auburn has had 1 season with 20+ wins since Cliff left and that was over 5 years ago, I'd say just the fact we still have a chance to reach 20 wins at this point in the season should be considered a small success and a step in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

But some fans that are sunshine pumping want it both ways. They want to give Bruce credit for having a winning season, yet blame the Barbee stuff on why in year 3 we're still in the bottom half of the league. Bruce has built this team how he wants and recruited guys he wanted. This is his team now. 

If we don't make the NIT, then I'd rather not go to any tournament. Going to a watered down tournament just isn't going to create any excitement. Making the CBI tournament wouldn't be a recruiting tool and I would hope that we don't hang a banner in Auburn Arena for making the CBI or if we actually won the tournament. The CBI has been taking teams with overall losing records. At least the NIT has some prestige and has a lot of history of having quality teams playing in that tournament.  In order to make the NIT we're going to have to at least win one of the two against Arkansas and Georgia and then beat Missouri. If we lose to both Arkansas and Georgia, I don't see how we're going to get into the NIT unless we win 2-3 game s and go on a run in the SEC Tournament.

I know you've reeled off several positives about this season but if we don't make the NIT then I'd hesitate to consider this season that much of a success. The positive of having an overall winning record is tempered for me because our SEC record is still bad. We're currently tied for 9th place in the SEC standings and will probably finish lower. Our only good SEC wins are over Alabama...... 4 of our 6 SEC wins are over teams below us in the SEC standings, Missouri, LSU(twice) and Mississippi State.

I consider myself a pretty level-headed fan, but I would certainly align myself with your first paragraph. The state the program was in when Barbee left and Bruce arrived couldn't have been much worse. I definitely give Bruce all the credit for getting this team and program where it is right now in the short amount of time he's done it. There are very few coaches who could've created this type of turnaround this quickly at Auburn, and I don't think any of those coaches would've entertained the thought of coming here. And I blame Barbee for the fact that this program isn't in better shape than it's in right now. He left almost nothing on the roster, especially nothing of long-term value. So, in year three, instead of having some upperclassmen to help guide us and lead us, Bruce is relying on freshmen and sophomores to do those things. Thankfully, the two seniors who see significant minutes are playing better of late. So, yeah. I'm guilty of giving Bruce all the credit and Barbee all the blame. And I'll probably play that game next year as well, although it should be less of an excuse IMO because of the amount of contributions from his high school recruits next year.

As for skipping postseason play if we don't make the NIT, I think we take anything we can get. It just means more practice time and at least one more game for the freshmen, and that's valuable, especially tournament pressure (even if it is watered down). And any season that guarantees the first winning season since 2009, led by a core group of freshmen and sophomores, should be considered a success at Auburn IMO. We don't have the history to have expectations that exceeds seasons like this one. Next year should be different, but this season should be celebrated because it brings about a lot of promise and expectation for the future. 

10 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

If you don't make the NIT you go to the CBI because you have a young team that needs the extra practice. It's not for excitement or a recruiting tool. It's about furthering development.

10 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

The positive of having an overall winning record is tempered for me because our SEC record is still bad.

Yes but the SEC, especially from 4-11 is quiet a bit tougher than it was last year even though it's not where the conference needs to be yet. Last year 7 SEC teams were in post season play. This year it will be 10-11.

8 hours ago, boomstick said:

I know you've reeled off several positives about this season but if we don't make the NIT then I'd hesitate to consider this season that much of a success. 

I never used nor implied success in any way. I just conveyed it's a net positive from previous years, and that to this point is statistical fact.

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If you don't make the NIT you go to the CBI because you have a young team that needs the extra practice. It's not for excitement or a recruiting tool. It's about furthering development.

But you're not going to be facing quality competition. Last year the CBI took 3 teams with an overall losing record. I'm sorry but you're just not going to gain a lot from playing a couple of sub-par opponents. The 2016 CBI tournament didn't have 1 "major" conference team in their tournament. Nevada was the only big name school in last year's CBI tournament.

You also have to pay to play to be in the CBI. Schools like Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, etc..... are never going to pay to be in the CBI just to say they went to a post-season tournament. In fact, Texas A&M is the only SEC team to ever play in the CBI in 2014. 

7 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

But you're not going to be facing quality competition. Last year the CBI took 3 teams with an overall losing record. I'm sorry but you're just not going to gain a lot from playing a couple of sub-par opponents. The 2016 CBI tournament didn't have 1 "major" conference team in their tournament. Nevada was the only big name school in last year's CBI tournament.

You also have to pay to play to be in the CBI. Schools like Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, etc..... are never going to pay to be in the CBI just to say they went to a post-season tournament. In fact, Texas A&M is the only SEC team to ever play in the CBI in 2014. 

Yeah I don't get the notion AU is somehow to good or should be too proud to play in any tournament or game anywhere. Since cliff elis was the coach it can be argued that AU was one of the worse basketball teams in the nation. That is beginning to change this year but right now you take what you can get imo. 

The fact that fans now have any expectation of success speaks to what CBP has done in three seasons. This season has already seen real progress and it isn't over yet. 

As for JJ, many in the college basketball world thought Barbee was a good hire. It was a miss no doubt, but many would have made that same miss. 

I'm really glad that so many people are happy with the job CBP is doing.  The man really impresses me with his coaching and knowledge of opponents. 

Nobody likes seeing double digit leads blown but I honestly attribute that to the players lack of college experience and not being used to the conference grind.  Keep up the work CPB and War Eagle.

10 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

The fact that fans now have any expectation of success speaks to what CBP has done in three seasons. This season has already seen real progress and it isn't over yet. 

As for JJ, many in the college basketball world thought Barbee was a good hire. It was a miss no doubt, but many would have made that same miss. 

AU expect success because they pour money and resources into the program and people buy tickets. We expected success From Lebo and Barbee, they just didn't deliver. Bruce has one more year to get AU into the NCAA picture, or I expect folks are going to turn on him, a la Gus. 

Missing the NIT this year is a big, big disappointment for the program. It's headed in the right direction, but the movement is slower. It's really hard to believe that AU can't get into the top 100 teams in the country to make a legit postseason tournament that you don't have to buy your way into.

Barbee was a good hire at the time ... turns out he didn't fit.  It is a bummer it didn't work.  Like jwgredeux said, lots of schools would have been happy to make that hire.  He might have even done well at another school then.

what we needed, apparently, was a personality as a head coach to help build recruiting and build up the fan base.

22 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Barbee was a good hire at the time ... turns out he didn't fit.  It is a bummer it didn't work.  Like jwgredeux said, lots of schools would have been happy to make that hire.  He might have even done well at another school then.

what we needed, apparently, was a personality as a head coach to help build recruiting and build up the fan base.

Agreed, i was super excited about Barbee when we hired him. He had a lot of success at UTEP or wherever it was before he came to AU. Came from the Calipari tree, he was a very hot coach at the time. I was very surprised when it didn't work out for him. Probably just a bad fit like you say

So what do we have to do to not play in the first round of the sec tournament? I'm assuming win out but even with that would that be enough? I don't care about post season, we've played in the first round every year since the conference expanded and I'm sick of it 

I really feel this team is a player away from a top 25 program or improved play from these freshmen. They were too inconsistent but when they were hot they were as good as anyone in the country.

On 2/23/2017 at 2:36 PM, autigersj said:

Especially one that was in the state Auburn's was in when Pearl took over.

2 hours ago, au302 said:

So what do we have to do to not play in the first round of the sec tournament? I'm assuming win out but even with that would that be enough? I don't care about post season, we've played in the first round every year since the conference expanded and I'm sick of it 

Win the last 2 and have 1 of aTm, Vols, or UGA lose the last 2. The only one we can win the tie breaker with is UGA so there can't be a 4 way tie. If there is a 3 way tie then 1 of aTm or Vols have to lose out. Therefore aTm & UT either both have to win out or  at least 1 lose out so we either finish ahead of 1 of them or only get tied with UGA. Then if it's us & UGA, Bama has to beat the Rebs & finish ahead or tied with the Rebs & Vandy. That would make our 2 wins over Bama the tie breaker over UGA.

Wow. That looks like it's gonna be a very tough task. I think our best bet is for Georgia to lose out but then we have to hope that Bama finishes ahead of ole miss and Vandy so we get the tiebreaker which doesn't seem promising

12 minutes ago, au302 said:

Wow. That looks like it's gonna be a very tough task. I think our best bet is for Georgia to lose out but then we have to hope that Bama finishes ahead of ole miss and Vandy so we get the tiebreaker which doesn't seem promising

Actually Bama finishing tied (they have the tie breaker over both if they beat Ole Miss) or ahead of the Rebs & Vandy is the most promising part of the equation. They just have to beat the Rebs at home & Vandy lose 1 versus UK or Florida. The tough part is both aTm (@ Mizzou, UK) & Vols (@ LSU, Bama) winning out or 1 of them losing out. Both aren't winning out as aTm won't beat UK. Our best bet there is aTm losing out.

I don't understand the implication that undue expectations are being placed on BP...fans had the same expectations for Lebo and Barbee....and when they did not deliver, they were gone. 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I don't understand the implication that undue expectations are being placed on BP...fans had the same expectations for Lebo and Barbee....and when they did not deliver, they were gone. 

1. They were here longer than 3 years and 2. Neither 1 started from the total cesspool of a program that Bruce had to start with.

On 2/26/2017 at 9:49 AM, mustache eagle said:

The problem with the Barbee hire was simple.  Jacobs thought he could bring in someone from the Calipari tree and have success, but he didn't think about the fact that even Calipari couldn't have success at a school that employed Rich McGlynn. We needed someone who could build the program without seeing how close to the edge he could walk with the rules. You don't learn that under Calipari.

Archived