Men's Postseason chatter thread (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

If we had beat BC we would be a NIT lock right now. That's still so dad gum frustrating. As it is I think we have to beat Mizzou, the Rebs, & Arky to make the NIT.

i think 2 wins might do it. wont that be 20?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I suspect the problem is that most teams don't play it much in HS.....nobody get's their name in the paper holding some shooter to 15 points below his average.  But there are few coaches out there who can teach it...not overnight I'm sure but watch UVA....they were all in the face of Carolina last week and one of their leading defenders was a scrawny looking white kid with a "man bun" on his head.   That guy is proof that anyone can learn to play defense if they are motivated. 

Yep. BP will need to install toughness and discipline this offseason, maybe bring in a defensive assistant. I'm not going to dwell too much here because all this has already been discussed but if he can manage to install toughness then we'll be good. That's why his Tennessee teams were so good

8 hours ago, jared52 said:

Don't forget, they do pay attention to attendance for these tournaments.

Not near as much in men's as the women's NIT. They seed now based on resume & the higher seeds host til the semis in New York. Been that way for a few years now.

8 hours ago, jared52 said:

If AU gets Mizzou and Ole Miss, I would think that would get them in with the fact AU does a good job putting butts in seats. 

Don't understand this part of the post. AU plays Mizzou & the Rebs in the SEC Tourney not the NIT.

46 minutes ago, alexava said:

i think 2 wins might do it. wont that be 20?

Might but 20 isn't a magic number. Every time we play Mizzou it hurts our RPI & SOS even when we beat them. Beating the Rebs would put us on the NIT bubble after auto bids are gathered. Gotta beat Arky to get locked in.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Might but 20 isn't a magic number. Every time we play Mizzou it hurts our RPI & SOS even when we beat them. Beating the Rebs would put us on the bubble after auto bids are gathered. Gotta beat Arky to get locked in.

Sounds like one of those situations where we lose either way when we play Missouri . An unpleasant fact of life this late in the season too.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sounds like one of those situations where we lose either way when we play Missouri . An unpleasant fact of life this late in the season too.

Well we don't lose when we beat Mizzou. It just counts for very very little.

2 minutes ago, GordoAU said:

It would be nice to play a post-season game ...but would be on the road which is not where we shine...likely one and done....but some extra practice time which might be devoted to working on defense. 

2 hours ago, GordoAU said:

Not being a 7 seed right now. There are many conference tourneys left. Remember regular season conference champs who don't win their conference tourney & make the NCAA take spots up in the NIT as auto bids.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

It would be nice to play a post-season game ...but would be on the road which is not where we shine...likely one and done....but some extra practice time which might be devoted to working on defense. 

As for 1 and done on the Road in the NIT. We can beat any of the projected 1-4 seeds in their house. Also we have 6 road wins on the season. That's tied for 2nd most among SEC teams with UK & Arky. Road work is actually 1 of the strongest parts of our resume.

AUBURN, Ala. — Bruce Pearl is not absolutely certain he will take his team to a third-tier postseason tournament should Auburn not snag a spot in the NIT next week.

Auburn (18-13, 7-11 SEC) and the College Basketball Invitational have had discussions concerning the Tigers’ future should it not reach the NIT, but a run in the SEC Tournament starting Wednesday against Missouri in Nashville could buoy Auburn’s chances at an NIT bid for the first time in eight years.

“I think it would take a couple (wins), and so that’s a number that gives me a little bit of flexibility,” Pearl said. “But that’s what I think it would take.”

The CBI is a possibility, though it’s rare for an SEC team to play in the third-tier tournament in which teams are required to pay to play in the field. It doesn’t appear Pearl is open to the possibility should his team lose Wednesday, providing the Tigers their sixth loss in the last eight games.

“Again, we haven’t made that decision yet, which means that if I were to give you a yes or a no — we’re going to see how this thing plays out,” the third-year Auburn coach said. “I want to see how we do up there in Nashville and then I’ll get a pulse from the team but I want to do it after the last game and after it’s all done. I’ve got an idea but I don’t want to make that decision beforehand.”

Auburn owns two wins against Missouri (7-23, 2-16) this season, including the 89-78 victory on Senior Day Saturday at Auburn Arena. Missouri coach Kim Anderson resigned Sunday but will coach in the SEC Tournament.

“This year we have a very young team that I would imagine will be excited about the tournament atmosphere and certainly the excitement builds,” Pearl said. “The hardest one is going to be the first one. The hardest one to win is the first game and the next game just doesn’t matter about the opponent. The excitement will build though, the arena will fill and they’ll feel like they’re part of March Madness a little bit more if you can stick around for a few days.

“And certainly I think as far as building on the future, I think it would be — for us to be able to win a couple of games with a young team would pay great dividends as we move forward. Just to know we were in it and then figure out what we need to do to stay in it longer and compete for championships.”

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/How-many-wins-does-Bruce-Pearls-Auburn-Tigers-need-to-reach-NIT-51633916

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

As for 1 and done on the Road in the NIT. We can beat any of the projected 1-4 seeds in their house. Also we have 6 road wins on the season. That's tied for 2nd most among SEC teams with UK & Arky. Road work is actually 1 of the strongest parts of our resume.

Possibly but we can lose to about anyone so you never can tell....strongest part of our resume is probably beating Bama twice. and the TCU win...otherwise, nothing seems to stand out as indicative of a "team with a mission"....yet.

Here's an interesting question to ponder... do we have the talent on this team that would allow us to actually win the SEC Tournament (or even finish in, say, the top 3), if they really put their minds to it and played at the best level they have played every game going forward, or is it just that there are a couple of missing pieces left to fill in?

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

@lionheartkc unless Auburn starts playing defense, I can't see us going far in any tournament. That's my completely uninformed opinion, for what it's worth. 

Have we never played defense, or do we just fall apart in most games?

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Here's an interesting question to ponder... do we have the talent on this team that would allow us to actually win the SEC Tournament (or even finish in, say, the top 3), if they really put their minds to it and played at the best level they have played every game going forward, or is it just that there are a couple of missing pieces left to fill in?

This team has the talent and depth to compete and beat anyone in this conference. We're still missing a couple of pieces but if we actually played hard and don't blow the leads we could make it to the semis

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Have we never played defense, or do we just fall apart in most games?

I just think about the huge half time lead against Ole Miss. Once the shots stopped falling, that game was over. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

The way you phrased your question no. We need more an better rebounding than we have talent wise. As for our other weaknesses we have the talent. They just have to develop themselves as basketball players & not athletes who play basketball. The good thing for us though is there is a  path to finishing in the top 3 of the tournament without being actually 1 of the 3 best teams. If we best Mizzou, Rebs, & Arky we will be in the semis & finish basically tied for 3rd losing then to UF or Vandy.

1 hour ago, au302 said:

This team has the talent and depth to compete and beat anyone in this conference.

At our best right now we can't beat UK, UF, SC, or Vandy unless those teams play abismal games by their standards.

1 hour ago, au302 said:

we could make it to the semis

Agree. Luckily for us we don't have to play any of the 4 teams we match up horribly right now to make the Semis.

50 minutes ago, ellitor said:

At our best right now we can't beat UK, UF, SC, or Vandy unless those teams play abismal games by their standards.

Agree. Luckily for us we don't have to play any of the 4 teams we match up horribly right now to make the Semis.

If we want to make it that far, we really need someone to step up and be our leader like KT was two years ago in that tournament. Hopefully either Heron or Dunans can do that

I saw a short clip today with Heron and Dunans previewing the Mizzou game. Dunans said everyone is going to come out and play hard defense. Thats really good to hear, and I hope the guys follow through. If we can play hard defense against Mizzou we can run away with it, they don't seem to have the offensive shooters and playmakers to keep up with us. 

Heard and read elsewhere that the Mizz coach has resigned...well got fired.....so what does that do to the outlook for the game.  

Will that team try to "win one for the Gipper"...or just accept that the season needs to be over and mostly go through the motions? 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Heard and read elsewhere that the Mizz coach has resigned...well got fired.....so what does that do to the outlook for the game.  

Will that team try to "win one for the Gipper"...or just accept that the season needs to be over and mostly go through the motions? 

IMO they will mail it in.

But @lionheartkc, I'm actually one of the folks who thinks we are capable of finishing in the top 3. Not saying we do it, as it is very unlikely, but if we hit a 72 hour hot streak we certainly could. Even with our porous defense when we are on we can beat anyone. We would just need to survive our offensive droughts which our defense has not been allowing us to do.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I can see them mailing it in but this Mizzou team has a reputation for playing very hard, they just don't have the talent to keep up with other teams. Just don't be surprised if they come out hot

Archived