Men's Postseason chatter thread (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

4 hours ago, WeagleTheBeagle said:

Def true, but I'll take what we can get.  Anything positive is good.  It is a longshot.  We pretty much have to beat FL, prob 4 of the other 6, and an SEC tourney game or two.

True. Perspective is a good thing. Gotta at least make the post season NIT or CBI tournaments to keep the buzz going.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, WeagleTheBeagle said:

Def true, but I'll take what we can get.  Anything positive is good.  It is a longshot.  We pretty much have to beat FL, prob 4 of the other 6, and an SEC tourney game or two.

This year the Sec is predicted to get as few as 3 and as many as 5. If 3 we have no shot, if 4 we need every win we can get 22 at minimum, if 5 we have more wiggle room. 

This season seems to be playing out where the bubble will be big and wide and more "snubs" than usual. IMO

3 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

This year the Sec is predicted to get as few as 3 and as many as 5. If 3 we have no shot, if 4 we need every win we can get 22 at minimum, if 5 we have more wiggle room. 

This season seems to be playing out where the bubble will be big and wide and more "snubs" than usual. IMO

I don't think the committee looks at it by # of teams from a conference. I think they look at the individual resumes a lot more.

4 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

point blank and the period we MUST beat florida next week to get in along with winning most of the rest of our games but imo for us to get in we HAVE GOTS to have that game. Would be a huge shiny red bow on our resume.

Well, I said 5-2 yesterday morning.  Therefore we have to go 5-1 now with the loss to only to either Florida or arky...

plus an sec tourney win.

seems unlikely, but it ain't over till it's over ... amirite!!!!!  (Ummmm, that would be one heck of a story)

Most projections I've seen have us in the 4-6 seed range in the NIT. Getting a top four seed in that tournament, preferably a 1 or 2, should be the goal right now. If you accomplish that, you've worked your way back into the bubble conversation.

And pop goes that bubble. Hopefully the team holds it together, shows some improvement to end the year, and gets a chance at the NIT. AU has a long way to go to get ready for next year and that preparation needs to start now.  

22 minutes ago, gravejd said:

And pop goes that bubble. Hopefully the team holds it together, shows some improvement to end the year, and gets a chance at the NIT. AU has a long way to go to get ready for next year and that preparation needs to start now.  

We are still projected in the NIT which would still be a positive overall.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

We are still projected in the NIT which would still be a positive overall.

oh i totally agree. I've been hoping all year that it would eventually click for this team and they would be able to play really good ball. I no longer hold out much hope of getting more than a game here and there of good ball play from this team. Its just not in them to play well consistently. We took a step forward this year regardless of what happens the rest of the season (assuming we don't implode and loss out). We can take another step forward by making the NIT. But Pearl needs to start figuring out how to get these talented guys to play consistently good basketball next season or questions will start rolling in on the direction of this program. Pearl has proven he can get the players he needs at AU. Now he has to prove he can make a team out of these players. 

Pretty simple for the rest of the regular season: we need to win to get in..... we win all 6, we are probably being discussed as a tournament team. Win 3, and we'll have to make a run in the SEC tourney. Win 0, and we're looking to next year. 

Florida: tough draw for anyone, but the fact we have them at home makes it more winnable. 

A&M: Not bad but not great. Probably about like Ole Miss. If we can stay away from complete meltdown, this is a very winnable game.

@ lsu: Should be a win. LSU is not good.

Arkansas: Arky is in a bit of a free Fall right now. I would expect a pretty even line, but this is a game that could be pivotal for us. Very winnable.

uga: tough away game draw. Georgia is good but have struggled at times this year. We should be in this game to say the least. If we play well, this is still a winnable game. 

mizzouri: Shouldn't lose this one. 

2 games that should be wins, 2 games that will be tough wins. 2 toss ups. The good thing is, I don't know if there is a game left where I would think "Auburn doesn't have a chance to win that game." Florida is the closest one, but the fact that this game is at home really gets me excited about it. Remember, this team has been known to lose games they're not supposed to lose, and win games they shouldn't win. 

What say ye about the remaining schedule? Im seeing AU notching a 4-2 record to put them at 20-11 going into the SEC tourney. 

NIT would be a step in the right direction.  Next year is NCAA or bust.  3-3 with a win in the SEC should lock up NIT.

I think the pressure to finish this season well to get into a tournament will get to these young guys. I think we will finish 2-4. We will probably win a game we shouldn't (@aTm or UGA) and lose one we shouldn't ( at LSU or Mizzou). All in all, the season will be a step in the right direction for the program as a whole, but it will also be a serious disappointment based on the preseason expectations of the fans and Bruce.

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Pretty simple for the rest of the regular season: we need to win to get in..... we win all 6, we are probably being discussed as a tournament team. Win 3, and we'll have to make a run in the SEC tourney. Win 0, and we're looking to next year. 

Florida: tough draw for anyone, but the fact we have them at home makes it more winnable. 

A&M: Not bad but not great. Probably about like Ole Miss. If we can stay away from complete meltdown, this is a very winnable game.

@ lsu: Should be a win. LSU is not good.

Arkansas: Arky is in a bit of a free Fall right now. I would expect a pretty even line, but this is a game that could be pivotal for us. Very winnable.

uga: tough away game draw. Georgia is good but have struggled at times this year. We should be in this game to say the least. If we play well, this is still a winnable game. 

mizzouri: Shouldn't lose this one. 

2 games that should be wins, 2 games that will be tough wins. 2 toss ups. The good thing is, I don't know if there is a game left where I would think "Auburn doesn't have a chance to win that game." Florida is the closest one, but the fact that this game is at home really gets me excited about it. Remember, this team has been known to lose games they're not supposed to lose, and win games they shouldn't win. 

What say ye about the remaining schedule? Im seeing AU notching a 4-2 record to put them at 20-11 going into the SEC tourney. 

Gotta win 5 and make an SEC Tourney run now to have a shot at the NCAA Tourney. Anything less than 5 we would have to win the SEC Tourney which is unlikely. Heck 3 wins may have us missing the NIT & hoping to get a CBI Tourney bid. Probably takes 4 wins to get an NIT bit at this point.

On 2/11/2017 at 2:56 PM, bigbird said:

Only if you're Viper

Don't forget me because at the end of the year I'm going to go through everything I said BEFORE one game was played and probably be able to say it

Just now, cole256 said:

Don't forget me because at the end of the year I'm going to go through everything I said BEFORE one game was played and probably be able to say it

I'm sure you will.......................j/k cole 

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Gotta win 5 and make an SEC Tourney run now to have a shot at the NCAA Tourney. Anything less than 5 we would have to win the SEC Tourney which is unlikely. Heck 3 wins may have us missing the NIT & hoping to get a CBI Tourney bid. Probably takes 4 wins to get an NIT bit at this point.

0% chance of AU going to the NCAAs. No way they win 5 of those remaining games. I just hope they don't go 1-5 or 2-4. Frankly, 4-2 is probably necessary for the NIT and there still a lot of unpredictability when it comes to this team and their mental toughness. Missing Spencer is a big loss that could cost them the NIT. 

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

0% chance of AU going to the NCAAs. No way they win 5 of those remaining games. I just hope they don't go 1-5 or 2-4. Frankly, 4-2 is probably necessary for the NIT and there still a lot of unpredictability when it comes to this team and their mental toughness. Missing Spencer is a big loss that could cost them the NIT. 

Yep.

Also have to admit I'm concerned with the direction the season is going. Basketball is a game of runs, and that applies to runs of games as well. The MSU game was a red flag in spite of the win, the OM game was a red alert, and the UF game a straight red line. Young teams like this without leadership can get the losing bug easily. If aTm beats them, I'm not sure they win enough to make the postseason as I would guess it would put them in a pretty bad frame of mind. 

Archived