Florida - Postgame

jared52

Still learning how to play with a big man.

Plenty of missed open bigs down low.  Just not looking for them when falling in love with the three.

Why doesn't Purifoy drive?

2 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Spectacular futility for both teams on D.

We put up 95

Yeah, it not being a 30 point blowout is a plus. 

Lose with 95 points.?   ..hard to believe ...just seem more interested in how many we can score and not so concerned about the opposition. 

Just now, AUGoo said:

Still learning how to play with a big man.

Plenty of missed open bigs down low.  Just not looking for them when falling in love with the three.

Why doesn't Purifoy drive?

Good call on on the big man .   He is definitely still a freshman .  1 rebound 4 TO.   Not having Spencer hurt us 

Just now, AU64 said:

Lose with 95 points.?   ..hard to believe ...just seem more interested in how many we can score and not so concerned about the opposition. 

UF has shooters, lots of them. 

It's obvious D is not being stressed coming out after the half.........at all.

We were in that game at the half and came out just standing around on both ends of the floor. I get coming out and being cold shooting, but not hustling on D is unforgivable at any level.  

Five games left in the season. Need to win at least three of them for an NIT shot or AU BB will sitting home for the 13th time in the past 14 seasons. Only two at home, but AU has already lost four SEC games at home this year.

When will BP teach this team how to play just some D?

Outside of the shooting the stats are similar.

they had 42 FT attempts!

and look at how many dang FG attempts we had!

95 points in a loss.  Crazy.  First game heron doesn't go for double digits this year.  He had a poor game from the floor - at least the stats say so

14 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Not much from Bruce in the postgame. Just praise for Barry and McLemore. 

Ha, what else is he gonna say that hasn't been said? :)

Offense really hasn't been the issue all season. We can score points, and 95 against Florida shouldn't be ignored. Now...if the team could just play above average defense, we could really make some noise, but so many times tonight we witnessed back breakdowns in play.

seems like this has happened the last 2 years with bruce. we have a big win in the middle of the season that everyone gets excited for and makes us think we are ready to take that next step and then we just keep losing down the stretch where the cold hard reality of that we are just not there yet hits us in the face. I will say Bruce first AU team did not even have half the talent of this team but they had more heart than the last 2 teams combined. Barely any talent yet they scrapped and clawed for everything and we ended up winning 3 games in the sec tourney. Last 2 teams have been mentally fragile. War Damn. I believe in Bruce Pearl he will eventually get us to a perennial NCAA tourney team like he did at rocky top. Just will take him longer than we thought. We are on the same trajectory that Frank Martin has been on at South Carolina.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

seems like this has happened the last 2 years with bruce. we have a big win in the middle of the season that everyone gets excited for and makes us think we are ready to take that next step and then we just keep losing down the stretch where the cold hard reality of that we are just not there yet hits us in the face. I will say Bruce first AU team did not even have half the talent of this team but they had more heart than the last 2 teams combined. Barely any talent yet they scrapped and clawed for everything and we ended up winning 3 games in the sec tourney. Last 2 teams have been mentally fragile. War Damn. I believe in Bruce Pearl he will eventually get us to a perennial NCAA tourney team like he did at kentucky. Just will take him longer than we thought. We are on the same trajectory that Frank Martin has been on at South Carolina.

Tennessee.  Pearl was never at kentucky.

First of all Florida is a very good team because both teams play fast paced frenetic basketball this was always going to be a high scoring game. They have a lot of upperclassmen with a mixture of young players.  Last year at this time with basically the same team Florida folded down the stretch a years more experience makes a big difference. At the beginning of the year we scored points but it was all one on one drive and score or jack up a 3. As the season has gone on our overall O has improved more ball movement (yes we have times we revert back to one on one) more scoring by passing or driving inside and scoring there or passing out to an open 3 point shooter. We are playing much better team ball on offense than at the beginning of the season.

As the balance of the season goes on and as we go into pre-season next year with so many returning players there won't need to be as much emphasis on offense and I expect you will see more emphasis on defense and rebounding. We still have an outside chance for the NIT which would be great as it will allow a few more games to work on issues in a game type environment.

While I am a bit of a sunshine pumper there were multiple people like Cole who know basketball who pretty much predicted how this season would go with this young of a team. They will be better next year. If you look at the record this year with just a slight improvement this team makes the NCAA. Better times are ahead. Unless something changes the only key contributor's we lose after this year are Dunans and Johnson and we have a couple of freshman coming in  Davion Mitchell and Chuma Okeke who have the potential to be better than them.

Two thoughts about next year....first we usually lose more players than we expect and I would not be surprised to see one or two surprises.

but more important....does it look like the current young players are better now than they were at the beginning of the season ?.  

After nearly 30 games, and this is just my opinion, but a couple important guys seem to have regressed if anything ...and shooting has mostly not improved (%)  and ball protection and defense looks worse from a team perspective. 

What's gonna make the difference next year?   losing two guys who seem to work the hardest....and perhaps gaining a couple new players ....which means that unit cohesion could again be a problem.   We mostly dance around the "effort" issue...not wanting to say much.. but it's hard to ignore for anyone watching the second half or our recent games. 

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

seems like this has happened the last 2 years with bruce. we have a big win in the middle of the season that everyone gets excited for and makes us think we are ready to take that next step and then we just keep losing down the stretch where the cold hard reality of that we are just not there yet hits us in the face. I will say Bruce first AU team did not even have half the talent of this team but they had more heart than the last 2 teams combined. Barely any talent yet they scrapped and clawed for everything and we ended up winning 3 games in the sec tourney. Last 2 teams have been mentally fragile. War Damn. I believe in Bruce Pearl he will eventually get us to a perennial NCAA tourney team like he did at kentucky. Just will take him longer than we thought. We are on the same trajectory that Frank Martin has been on at South Carolina.

Remember what happened to that team at the end of the regular season though? They completely fell off. Lost home games, got blown out in away games- just couldn't do anything the last 5-6 games. Yes they had heart in the tourney when they started to believe, but they gave up for a little bit of the season. 

Culture is being changed- remember when we had to whine about only 11 wins? Now we're whining about what could be around 18 or 19 and a possible post-season birth. Culture changing...

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Two thoughts about next year....first we usually lose more players than we expect and I would not be surprised to see one or two surprises.

but more important....does it look like the current young players are better now than they were at the beginning of the season ?.  

After nearly 30 games, and this is just my opinion, but a couple important guys seem to have regressed if anything ...and shooting has mostly not improved (%)  and ball protection and defense looks worse from a team perspective. 

What's gonna make the difference next year?   losing two guys who seem to work the hardest....and perhaps gaining a couple new players ....which means that unit cohesion could again be a problem.   We mostly dance around the "effort" issue...not wanting to say much.. but it's hard to ignore for anyone watching the second half or our recent games. 

If we do lose anyone, we will be able to replace just fine. Talented Freshmen coming in plus Murray gets the shirt off. Maybe a grad transfer or two as well. We will replace. 

On a side note, Bryce Brown has improved, I think, this year. He was good last year, the regressed a little at the beginning of this year, but seems to be coming back into form both defensively and offensively; Offensively being the way he's driving and dishing the past few games has been much better than the stupid shots he was throwing up first half of the year. Seems to also be finding his shot again- South Car has Thornwell who's been there for years. He started out streaky like a brown. I'm willing to bet Bryce will be same kind of player by next year/year after. 

I blamed the OM loss on BP b/c of his strategy in the first 5 minutes of the second half against them. This one you just have to say that the better, more experienced team won & give it up to Florida. I am not a sunshine pumper, but look at the potential we have. Most of the time we are at least playing 3 freshmen and are holding our own with good veteran teams like Florida. Just imagine if and when these guys learn to play defense and shoot free throws better; then where will we be? I believe next year we will be starting to cement ourselves in the upper half of the SEC. Meanwhile as for this year I believe we are a solid NIT team and can do a little damage in that tourney.

5 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Tennessee.  Pearl was never at kentucky.

do you honestly think I really thought he coached at kentucky? clearly a mis type you took advantage of to make me look like a buffoon and point it out. Is that really all you took with what I said? Come on man. There was a lot of stuff I wrote in my paragraph and you only got a couple of words out of it? I guess thanks? Now I can go back and edit my post. SO there is that! WOOOOO........ War Damn Eagle anyways!

Archived