Auburn most disciplined SEC team in 2016

abw0004

Auburn proved to be the most disciplined team in the league, having only 4.7 penalties called a game against the team (That was 2.1 penalties fewer called per game than Florida).  Auburn also had the least amount of total penalty yardage, despite not having the crown for least amount of flags thrown.

Here’s the complete breakdown of the flags called in the SEC in 2016:

Rank Team G Pen Pen. Yds Pen/G Yds/G
1 Florida 13 88 758 6.8 58.3
2 Alabama 15 86 660 5.7 44
3 Texas A&M 13 81 685 6.2 52.7
4 Missouri 12 80 685 6.7 57.1
5 Tennessee 13 80 735 6.2 56.5
6 Arkansas 13 80 680 6.2 52.3
7 Georgia 13 74 547 5.7 42.1
8 Mississippi State 13 68 617 5.2 47.5
9 Vanderbilt 13 67 575 5.2 44.2
10 Kentucky 13 66 605 5.1 46.5
11 South Carolina 13 65 606 5.0 46.6
12 Auburn 13 61 475 4.7 36.5
 13 Ole Miss 12 59 520 4.9 43.3
 14 LSU 12 58 492 4.8 41

Surprising the pen/game were so close.  Wow.  Glad we are playing disciplined ball.

This is a big thing that Gus got cleaned up and he deserves credit for it. The first 2 years it seemed like there was at least one critical 3rd down per game when we were on defense where we would hit a guy late out of bounds giving the opponent a free 15 yards and first down

That is a good sign.  +1 for Gus.  I really wish they could break those out by "mental mistake" penalties vs. performance penalties.  Probably too subjective though.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

That is a good sign.  +1 for Gus.  I really wish they could break those out by "mental mistake" penalties vs. performance penalties.  Probably too subjective though.

Agreed. Although some are obviously mental breakdowns 

If the "missed" holding and targeting penalties UAT committed were called, Bama would have easily been #1.

And if Carl Lawson had done a better job of avoiding the lining up offsides, we would have done even better.

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

This is a big thing that Gus got cleaned up and he deserves credit for it. The first 2 years it seemed like there was at least one critical 3rd down per game when we were on defense where we would hit a guy late out of bounds giving the opponent a free 15 yards and first down

I give Steele some credit, too. Muschamp had the boys playing on the edge which cost us a few times, Steele maintained the level of intensity but brought discipline. 

Might alter the thread title to "most self-disciplined"

seems, by these measures, to be least punished

Neat and revealing stats

20 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Indeed +1 to the coaching staff for cleaning things up.  Kudo's to Steele and his staff for putting a very good and very disciplined D on the field.

17 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I give Steele some credit, too. Muschamp had the boys playing on the edge which cost us a few times, Steele maintained the level of intensity but brought discipline. 

I excused Muschamp for it, as it ultimately paid off (defensively at least).  That intensity probably went a long way toward changing the defensive culture.  Steele refined it further, and has turned out to be a solid hire thus far.  All teams will have penalties, but I think our "shooting yourself in the foot" penalties have decreased overall.

Footnote re football & discipline: Spurrier's UF teams lead the SEC most years and were always near the top in the nation in penalty yards - mostly because of aggression penalties. Those teams were perennial contenders for national titles. Bottom line: Football is an ultra violent sport - penalties of excessive aggression should probably not be lumped into the same bucket as negligent penalties. 

IMHO

4 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Footnote re football & discipline: Spurrier's UF teams lead the SEC most years and were always near the top in the nation in penalty yards - mostly because of aggression penalties. Those teams were perennial contenders for national titles. Bottom line: Football is an ultra violent sport - penalties of excessive aggression should probably not be lumped into the same bucket as negligent penalties. 

IMHO

I get what you're saying and agree to a certain degree. But when you're putting up huge numbers of points consistently like those UF teams your margin for error/penalties grows and you can absorb those penalty yards much better. We have not had an offense even close in the past 2 years that could do that minus maybe the 3 game stretch of Miss State-Arky-Ole Miss this past season.

24 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

IMHO

Like Miami vs Texas 91 Cotton Bowl?  Miami 16 penalties for 202 yards.  Mostly unnecessary  roughness and unsportsmanlike conduct.  Total beat down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxLUvVR3CR0

Youtube wouldn't allow it to embed.

On 2/15/2017 at 5:41 PM, meh130 said:

If the "missed" holding and targeting penalties UAT committed were called, Bama would have easily been #1.

And if Carl Lawson had done a better job of avoiding the lining up offsides, we would have done even better.

Drove me crazy, refs missed a bunch too.

Archived