Why is AU not protecting home court?

GwillMac6

So we already have 4 sec home losses on the year. I just do not get it. That is unacceptable. Besides Florida all the home SEC losses were to average or slightly above average teams. Last night was the first night in sec play I would concede the crowd was lacking and was not a huge advantage for AU. I look across the country and even mediocre teams upset the higher ranked teams at a decent clip when they are at home. I will just cherry pick 2 teams we have beat this year: Oklahoma (who is terrible I might add) and Texas Tech.  Oklahoma beat west virginia at home, Texas Tech just beat baylor at home and ALMOST beat kansas at home but lost by and point this past weekend. AU on the other hand is losing to the likes of a above average UT team, a mediocre ole miss and georgia team and I will admit a superior florida team. We are more talented imo than all of those teams but florida. Those 4 home sec losses could very well be the difference in if we stay at home for the postseason for the 13th time in 14 years or not.

41 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

So we already have 4 sec home losses on the year. I just do not get it. That is unacceptable. Besides Florida all the home SEC losses were to average or slightly above average teams. Last night was the first night in sec play I would concede the crowd was lacking and was not a huge advantage for AU. I look across the country and even mediocre teams upset the higher ranked teams at a decent clip when they are at home. I will just cherry pick 2 teams we have beat this year: Oklahoma (who is terrible I might add) and Texas Tech.  Oklahoma beat west virginia at home, Texas Tech just beat baylor at home and ALMOST beat kansas at home but lost by and point this past weekend. AU on the other hand is losing to the likes of a above average UT team, a mediocre ole miss and georgia team and I will admit a superior florida team. We are more talented imo than all of those teams but florida. Those 4 home sec losses could very well be the difference in if we stay at home for the postseason for the 13th time in 14 years or not.

The Vols & UGA are not average teams. Both are good teams squarely on the bubble with RPIs at 44 & 52. Also both are better inside overall which is still a weakness for us even with Wiley. Danjel going down in the first half against Ole Miss missing virtually the whole game had a lot to do with that loss. He had been playing well & even when he wasn't scoring he was rebounding & playing some D. We win that one if he doesn't get hurt.

And road & Neutral games tell much more of the story in making the post season or not as the committee & RPI puts much more weight on them than home games.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The Vols & UGA are not average teams. Both are good teams squarely on the bubble with RPIs at 44 & 52. Also both are better inside overall which is still a weakness for us even with Wiley. Danjel going down in the first half against Ole Miss missing virtually the whole game had a lot to do with that loss. He had been playing well & even when he wasn't scoring he was rebounding & playing some D. We win that one if he doesn't get hurt.

Georgia and UT are both 6-7 in a weak conference that will probaly only get in 3 teams. That is average to me. You also did not answer my question at all on why you think we are losing more sec games than what we should with the talent we have. UT gave up a 19 pt lead at home to miss st and lost. sound familiar? UT is 14-12 overall and georgia is 15-11 overall a big meh if you ask me.

42 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Georgia and UT are both 6-7 in a weak conference that will probaly only get in 3 teams. That is average to me. You also did not answer my question at all on why you think we are losing more sec games than what we should with the talent we have. UT gave up a 19 pt lead at home to miss st and lost. sound familiar? UT is 14-12 overall and georgia is 15-11 overall a big meh if you ask me.

Yes I did. That what the weak inside statement was about. And the SEC is relatively weak compared to a few others but it's actually better than it has been and average overall. The mid level conference teams are better this year. Average SEC RPI this year is 70. It was in the 100s last year. And UT's blown 19 point lead to Miss St was on the road not home. To UT's & UGa's credit they have played the 4th & 20th toughest schedules in the nation. Lastly UT is 13-12 & UGA is 14-11. If you are going to rant at least try to get 1 fact correct in your post.

46 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes I did. That what the weak inside statement was about. And the SEC is relatively weak compared to a few others but it's actually better than it has been and average overall. The mid level conference teams are better this year. Average SEC RPI this year is 70. It was in the 100s last year. And UT's blown 19 point lead to Miss St was on the road not home. To UT's & UGa's credit they have played the 4th & 20th toughest schedules in the nation. Lastly UT is 13-12 & UGA is 14-11. If you are going to rant at least try to get 1 fact correct in your post.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/conferences/standings/_/id/23/year/2017/sec-conference ummm you are the one who is not correct on those 2 teams records. Where do you think I got their conference and overall records? I obviously do not know them off the top of my head like I would ours. I will own the mistake on the miss st and UT blown lead game being on the road and not at home. THATS ON MUHHHHHHHHHHHH and me only. WOOOOOOOO come on man this is not a rant lol!!! You know more than anyone when I am ranting or not. But its all good fam. We all want what the best for Auburn and the best for Auburn is Auburn Arena being one of the best homecourt advantages in the country! War Eagle! 

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I don't think we have much of a home court advantage. We've averaged about 7 home losses since our last NIT appearance. We have more talent than those teams. So maybe that's why the number is improved this year. I'd like to think we would never lose a game at home, but we really don't have the history or the support to have that expectation. I think it will come as more people get interested in this team. 

4 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I don't think we have much of a home court advantage. We've averaged about 7 home losses since our last NIT appearance. We have more talent than those teams. So maybe that's why the number is improved this year. I'd like to think we would never lose a game at home, but we really don't have the history or the support to have that expectation. I think it will come as more people get interested in this team. 

all great points. Makes a lot of sense. I def see your point of view.

Like I said in another thread, no one fears auburn or even playing at auburn.   Auburn is not a basketball school.   Never has been and I'm not sure it ever will be.   If CBP can't get it done, I don't think we can without some help???

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

So we already have 4 sec home losses on the year. I just do not get it. That is unacceptable. Besides Florida all the home SEC losses were to average or slightly above average teams. Last night was the first night in sec play I would concede the crowd was lacking and was not a huge advantage for AU. I look across the country and even mediocre teams upset the higher ranked teams at a decent clip when they are at home. I will just cherry pick 2 teams we have beat this year: Oklahoma (who is terrible I might add) and Texas Tech.  Oklahoma beat west virginia at home, Texas Tech just beat baylor at home and ALMOST beat kansas at home but lost by and point this past weekend. AU on the other hand is losing to the likes of a above average UT team, a mediocre ole miss and georgia team and I will admit a superior florida team.. We are more talented imo than all of those teams but florida. Those 4 home sec losses could very well be the difference in if we stay at home for the postseason for the 13th time in 14 years or not.

I only get to watch the games on TV so I know I miss a lot but it looked to me like we  had a bunch of freshmen that are just learning how to play defense in the SEC. When those teams started to increase the pressure in the second half they seemed to get confused about their assignments and the whole defense fell apart. We have some pretty talented guys but Kentucky is the only team I have seen that could play so many freshmen and get away with it. Maybe our expectations have been a little too high. We have been pretty  bad for a long time and it is not going to turn around overnight. Give them another year to gel and I believe they will be truly competitive by this time next year and hopefully real contenders in 2019. A little more size and depth wouldn't hurt either.

There has been a trend in the SEC for an above average number of home teams losing. The real issue for Auburn isn't home team or road team it is youth and not enough depth when it comes to bigs. We lave one legit 5 who was playing HS ball a few months ago. Spencer should be playing 4 based on height but skill set is more suited to 5 though that was changing before he got hurt. McLemore is in a SF body playing at 5 and Purifoy is in a SF body and skill set playing at 4.  Other teams who have similar issues can work around it if they have players with more experience.  When you combine the lack of experience and the lack of depth among the bigs you get what we have been seeing. 

That said we are getting better at this time more so on the offense side of the ball than defense and rebounding but we will get there. As I mentioned earlier in another thread basically the same Florida team that you said was so good folded at this time last year. The biggest reason they are better this year is experience. As we get more experience we will get better both at home and on the road.

Will we ever be able to consistently fill our arena? Maybe when we start becoming a perennial 20 win team. If I was within driving distance I would be at every game. I know our football stadium is astronomically bigger than our bball arena but most of our football fans travel in from out of town, right? Is that what we are banking on to fill our bball stadium? Do we have too many seats? On TV broadcasts the upper half of the arena always looks more than half empty, except for a few games. And commuting to games for fans is much tougher for bball considering half the games are during the week.

22 hours ago, Tiger said:

Will we ever be able to consistently fill our arena? Maybe when we start becoming a perennial 20 win team. If I was within driving distance I would be at every game. I know our football stadium is astronomically bigger than our bball arena but most of our football fans travel in from out of town, right? Is that what we are banking on to fill our bball stadium? Do we have too many seats? On TV broadcasts the upper half of the arena always looks more than half empty, except for a few games. And commuting to games for fans is much tougher for bball considering half the games are during the week.

I think having a team the fans trust will help. AU has been bad at home this year. And i don't think there is a lot of stomach at AU for watching losing basketball. We've seen it for way too long and prefer to look away. I expect attendance to tick upward next year as people will be hoping for better results. However if better results don't follow expect attendance to go downward.

I have no idea why we have struggled so much at  home. Maybe players are putting too much pressure on themselves to perform well in front of the home crowd and that results in pressing too much. But that is just a guess. I'm at a loss on how a team can play so badly in the second half for this many games and the players/coaches not figure out a way to correct it. Not mentally tough, too emotional, selfish play, lazy play, not the right mix of players, youth.....take your pick on what the problem is. 

59 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I think having a team the fans trust will help. AU has been bad at home this year. And i don't think there is a lot of stomach at AU for watching losing basketball. We've seen it for way too long and prefer to look away. I expect attendance to tick upward next year as people will be hoping for better results. However if better results don't follow expect attendance to go downward.

I have no idea why we have struggled so much at  home. Maybe players are putting too much pressure on themselves to perform well in front of the home crowd and that results in pressing too much. But that is just a guess. I'm at a loss on how a team can play so badly in the second half for this many games and the players/coaches not figure out a way to correct it. Not mentally tough, too emotional, selfish play, lazy play, not the right mix of players, youth.....take your pick on what the problem is. 

Bad at home? They're 9-4, which is currently the fewest home losses of any season since the last NIT appearance. It's not perfect, and there have been some tough losses. But that's not being bad at home. And attendance shouldn't be affected by this team struggling at home. If fans don't show up, then the fans don't have enough understanding to continue to support the team if they struggle. There's no reason for the attendance to be what it was for a home game at 6:00PM against a top 25 team, even during the middle of the week with a struggling team. Just because there is disappointment doesn't mean the fans should quit showing up. 

This program is in better shape than it's been since the late 90's, possibly better because I think the success can be more sustainable. But fans need to understand that and support the team through the tough spells. I get being frustrated with the play and the meltdowns and the unexplainable second half collapses, but it's crap not to support this team when it's won as much as this program has won in a decade. 

4 hours ago, boomstick said:

Bad at home? They're 9-4, which is currently the fewest home losses of any season since the last NIT appearance. It's not perfect, and there have been some tough losses. But that's not being bad at home. And attendance shouldn't be affected by this team struggling at home. If fans don't show up, then the fans don't have enough understanding to continue to support the team if they struggle. There's no reason for the attendance to be what it was for a home game at 6:00PM against a top 25 team, even during the middle of the week with a struggling team. Just because there is disappointment doesn't mean the fans should quit showing up. 

This program is in better shape than it's been since the late 90's, possibly better because I think the success can be more sustainable. But fans need to understand that and support the team through the tough spells. I get being frustrated with the play and the meltdowns and the unexplainable second half collapses, but it's crap not to support this team when it's won as much as this program has won in a decade. 

All i'm saying is that if fans are expecting their team to lose then it is more likely they won't show up. I think the majority of fans expected this team to lose against UF. 

I totally agree the program is in the best position it has been since that last NCAA appearance. The last NIT team was a good team but it was all seniors. This team is about equal to those guys and they are all younguns

I get that we were big underdogs vs UF but usually teams bring the most fans out when they are hosting a nationally prominent opponent.

Theoretically these games are sold out....not sure where the ticket-holders are however....no matter how much UF was favored, fans should have been there hoping for the upset.

Archived