Softball vs. SIUE - game thread

WarTiger

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice inning for the AU hitters....looked like what we expect from them....and a good time to shake the dust off their bats....Good win...

Coach gave Greenwood a little speech before that hit.  It must've been good.  First pitch, the best non-dinger hit of the year.  Good job, Greenwood.  Maybe that last inning will jump-start our bats.  We need more than 3 people on the team with a BA over .200.

Did anyone else think Brooks was throwing illegal pitches all night?  Her left foot came off the ground on every pitch.  They gave us a couple bases on it early, but she just kept doing it, it seemed to me.

43 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Coach gave Greenwood a little speech before that hit.  It must've been good.  First pitch, the best non-dinger hit of the year.  Good job, Greenwood.  Maybe that last inning will jump-start our bats.  We need more than 3 people on the team with a BA over .200.

It is not a case of her foot being off the ground unless both are off the ground at the same time (leaping).  But they did call her for several illegal pitches for replanting her pivot foot (crow hop).  Marcy Harper had a similar issue last year.

Great way to close out the game last night. Seemed like the first stretch of good ABs all night. Really need to see Wallace and Fagan get going to protect Cooper if they're going to continue to lead her off. And I'd like to see more aggression at the plate. These past few Auburn teams put so much pressure on defenses by putting balls in play and making defenses have to make plays. I hope we get back to that aggressive approach.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Great way to close out the game last night. Seemed like the first stretch of good ABs all night. Really need to see Wallace and Fagan get going to protect Cooper if they're going to continue to lead her off. And I'd like to see more aggression at the plate. These past few Auburn teams put so much pressure on defenses by putting balls in play and making defenses have to make plays. I hope we get back to that aggressive approach.

This.  Also, the aggressive base-running is an area where all three of EC, TH, and JR will be missed

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Part of the past success in putting the balls in play for that aggressive approach was the patience at the plate to only swing at good pitches.  That patience brought many walks and forced the pitchers to throw more hittable balls leading to more balls in play. We are doing okay on getting the walks, just haven't made the solid contact with putting the ball in play.  Getting fouls and pop ups instead of line shots.  That started to change in the 8th when Fagan and Greenwood nailed liner shots.  Loved seeing the ball fly over the fence by Carlee and Veach, but good consistent contact is that liner shot.  Even CCM has said that a homer is just the product of a good swing.  We finally started getting the consistent good swings in the 8th.  Let's just hope in continues through now.

Archived