Baseball vs GW

AU64

AU off to a good start....Keegan Thompson hitting low 90s with his FB and that new line-up with only two starters back from last season hit the ball well in the first inning to  take a 2-0 lead.....nice swings and some sharply hit balls.

It was 5-0 Auburn when I left from over there in the bottom of the 4th.

Not sure what I expected ...but the hitters looked pretty good today.....some sharp hits and hitting ball back up the middle.....Sisson has to be happy.     Thompson looked good...think he was in for about 5 innings...did not get the pitch count but was in the 50s to 60s which should have been plenty for his first start. 

Nice way to start the season.

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not sure what I expected ...but the hitters looked pretty good today.....some sharp hits and hitting ball back up the middle.....Sisson has to be happy.     Thompson looked good...think he was in for about 5 innings...did not get the pitch count but was in the 50s to 60s which should have been plenty for his first start. 

Nice way to start the season.

64 pitches, 44 strikes

2 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

64 pitches, 44 strikes

Thanks...he was mostly relying on his fast ball....few sliders perhaps but took it easy on his arm and not many base runners so easier on his arm pitching from regular wind up I think.  Also good to see him hitting the low 90s...can't recall that he was able to top 90 with his fastball before he went out with arm problems...maybe it had been an issue his entire time at AU.  Whatever.....he was looking like border line MLB speed today and good control though a couple GW hitters did get pretty good metal on some pitches. Was not watching closely enough to see if he was getting good movement on the ball.

Hoping someone who was there or followed the game more closely might give a good assessment of how he looked.  

59 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Game 2: Took 5-4 lead in the bottom of the 8th and gave up 5 runs in the ninth. Guess AU hasn't establish a closer?

Cole Lipscomb shut the door on GW in game 2 of the series. I'm wondering if he won't develop into that closer for us. Would like to have had the win in game 3 today, but at least we played almost a complete game and answered the bell at the plate when we needed to. Some nice 2 out RBIs and ABs today. Very encouraged by this team. They'll learn from the 9th inning meltdown. 

40 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Cole Lipscomb shut the door on GW in game 2 of the series. I'm wondering if he won't develop into that closer for us. Would like to have had the win in game 3 today, but at least we played almost a complete game and answered the bell at the plate when we needed to. Some nice 2 out RBIs and ABs today. Very encouraged by this team. They'll learn from the 9th inning meltdown. 

Was he in to close out the second game? I know they are trying to set him up as the closer but I didn't know if he was in this time.

No, Sprinkle came unglued in the ninth.  Gave up 3 singles, a double and had two wild pitches.  Tagged with 4 earned runs and the loss.  He will learn from this one, he's got way too much talent to pitch like that very often.  

9 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

No, Sprinkle came unglued in the ninth.  Gave up 3 singles, a double and had two wild pitches.  Tagged with 4 earned runs and the loss.  He will learn from this one, he's got way too much talent to pitch like that very often.  

Yep....that was a bad loss though I am still waiting on DS to pitch like he seems capable of.....

Bad loss but it's not gonna kill us by any means. I think Klobisits shouldn't be a starter on the weekend. He's more of a mid-week starter or reliever on weekend series. Also, this team seems to have much better chemistry than last years. The guys last year sort of quit but these guys just look like they enjoy playing and enjoy each other. It's still too early to tell but that's just what I've observed. 

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Bad loss but it's not gonna kill us by any means. I think Klobisits shouldn't be a starter on the weekend. He's more of a mid-week starter or reliever on weekend series. Also, this team seems to have much better chemistry than last years. The guys last year sort of quit but these guys just look like they enjoy playing and enjoy each other. It's still too early to tell but that's just what I've observed. 

Guess it will take a while to discover the sequence of starters and since the coaches are wisely holding back on the pitch count now, it's going to require more pitchers to handle a 4 game series.

The loss itself....nothing that big though a second loss today would be a bad thing....JMO...but giving up 4 runs in the manner that occurred is what I was referring to....just been expecting more from DS...still hoping to see it.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep....that was a bad loss though I am still waiting on DS to pitch like he seems capable of.....

Kid came in believing everything he had read.  Pitching at a high level is not just throwing hard.  What I am absolutely certain of is that he is in one of the best proving grounds and learning from one of the best teachers available to him.  And, as previously stated, a blow up in late February in his sophomore season is of very minor consequence.  He will get it.

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess it will take a while to discover the sequence of starters and since the coaches are wisely holding back on the pitch count now, it's going to require more pitchers to handle a 4 game series.

The loss itself....nothing that big though a second loss today would be a bad thing....JMO...but giving up 4 runs in the manner that occurred is what I was referring to....just been expecting more from DS...still hoping to see it.

For sure. I'm sure Sprinkles upset with himself. He pitched well last year and we expect more. We just need a closer. I wish we could use Lipscomb but we may need him for long relief outings and maybe even as a starter 

19 hours ago, jared52 said:

Game 2: Took 5-4 lead in the bottom of the 8th and gave up 5 runs in the ninth. Guess AU hasn't establish a closer?

21 hours ago, jared52 said:

That's an Auburn Winner! Tigers win game 4 by a score or 4-3. Auburn improves to 3-1 on the year and hosts Jacksonville State on tuesday. 

Corey Herndon gets the save today. Auburn scored 3 in the B6 to take a 4-2 lead on a 2 out bases loaded double by Luke Jarvis. GWU scored one in the T7 to close the gap, but Auburn pitchers got out of a bases loaded with 1 out jam to keep GW from tying it in that inning, and shut them down the rest of the way. T9 got a little dicey on a couple questionable calls by the umpiring crew, but AU hangs on and wins it! Big series win- GW will compete in the A10.

Archived