AU Visit--Flashback Days!

ToraGirl

We took our youngest for a Talons Day experience for incoming honors freshmen today.  We are so blessed that he has qualified for a remarkable scholarship for this fall and will interview for another one next Saturday (Auburn two weeks in a row....woo hoo!).  Just wanted to say that our time today made me so proud to be an Auburn Tiger.  Photo with Spirit (bald eagle), visit with Marianne and two other precious little raptors, AUsome student ambassadors, enthusiastic faculty, so many changes compared to the mid-80's experience (the new Wellness Center has a two-year-back-to-back NC rep already), lunching with Aubie, seeing all of the Auburn Abroad opportunities and the focus on how Auburn students are making life better for people all over the world, giving and receiving in return...the list could go on forever.  Of course, a Toomer's vanilla limeade was on the docket as well.  He's not sure of his major (normal), but the opportunities are endless.

Football was not mentioned the entire day.  Honestly.  The CREED was mentioned at least 20 times and "War Eagle!" was everywhere.  I'm a hometown girl, late prof's daughter, 1988 alumni, and late-years football fan, but today reminded me that, no matter what we say in the heat of the moment, Auburn IS different...and though we may disagree from time to time regarding the best course of action for the football program, its personnel, and the product we see on the field from week to week, I am reminded today that Auburn is so much more.

Mods, please feel free to post this elsewhere if not here.  Never been prouder or more fortunate to be an Auburn Tiger.  Micah 6:8!!  :jossun::wareagle:

Congrats to your young man. Well stated. "Come to Auburn and be forever changed". God bless all !!

I was in Auburn a few months ago. First time in a long time. The campus has really changed and the construction is still under way. The thing I missed, though, is the disappearance of the park-like atmosphere as buildings now take up a lot of the space that was once grass and trees. Draughon Library, for example, now extends all the way out to College St and is now building out all the way to Mell on the campus side. Yuge! But, ya know, progress ......

I still remember the first time I set foot on campus. 

It was in mid 1985, helping one of my best friends move into the old men's dorm on Magnolia where the Business College building is now.  I distinctly remember the warm feeling of familiarity.  It was as if I had lived there my whole life. I wasn't able to go straight to Auburn from high school but managed to get there a year and a half later.  I moved into my first apartment, just a stone's throw from where my friend lived and started classes.

As you said, much has changed since then and I don't get back as often as I would like but the memories are still so vivid in my mind.  It is truly a special place.

On 2/17/2017 at 6:07 PM, ToraGirl said:

Football was not mentioned the entire day.

Can you blame them? 

I keed... I keed.

Sounds like an AUsome weekend. Congrats on having an honors student, especially one who wants to be at AU!

Archived