KAREN HOPPA RECEIVES CONTRACT EXTENSION THROUGH 2021 SEASON

augolf1716

Auburn soccer head coach Karen Hoppa, who led Auburn to its first-ever Elite Eight appearance and a school-record 17 wins in 2017, has received a five-year contract extension, keeping her on The Plains through the 2021 season.

“Under Coach Hoppa’s outstanding leadership, our soccer student-athletes have consistently excelled on the field, in the classroom and in the community,” said Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs. “She led our soccer team to its best season in school history this fall following a record-setting season in 2015. 

“Karen is relentless in the pursuit of excellence, and she and her student-athletes consistently uphold the values expressed in the Auburn Creed. I’m proud of Karen and am pleased to announce this well-deserved extension.”

“It is an honor to work at Auburn,” said Hoppa. “I think we have the best athletic department in the country. I am thrilled that Jay Jacobs and (Senior Woman Administrator) Meredith Jenkins have entrusted me with another five years to lead this program. We’re proud of where we have been and we are really excited about where we are going.”

In 18 seasons, Hoppa has guided the Tigers to seven SEC West titles, 14 NCAA Tournaments, including back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances in 2015 and 2016. The 2016 Elite Eight appearances was the first in school history.

Hoppa has led Auburn to a 217-140-32 (.599) during her tenure and is 281-184-41 (.596) overall in 24 seasons as a head coach. She is one of only 10 female soccer coaches ever to eclipse 200 wins.

Auburn has made the SEC Tournament in the past 15 years under Hoppa – the second-longest active streak among conference competition.

Hoppa has tutored 58 all-conference selections, including a school-record seven in 2016, 12 All-Americans, three SEC Player of the Year choices and two SEC Scholar-Athletes of the Year. 

Hoppa’s teams have excelled in the classroom as she has had seven Academic All-Americans while the program has received the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Team Academic Award 12 consecutive years. 

AUsome! Met her briefly after the USA NCAA round 1 game last season and see was very genuine. Seems to be turning the team into an SEC contender. 

On 2/17/2017 at 9:27 PM, jared52 said:

AUsome! Met her briefly after the USA NCAA round 1 game last season and see was very genuine. Seems to be turning the team into an SEC contender. 

I'll second the character reference.  The local Auburn club watched the team play KU several years ago. Coach Hoppa was great. Very personable and very good with the girls. They were a combination of shocked and grateful to see a bunch of Auburn fans in the stands in Kansas.

Archived