offense is 'gonna sling it'

aubiefifty

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, DAG said:

We absolutely have the talent and means to sling the ball around need be . Clearly , CGM has always wanted to be a physical team with the run , but it is a fine line between being a down hill running team and pretty much becoming GT.

The best teams have a balance offense and that is what we should be striving for .

I do not want to be running the ball 70-80 percent of the time . 

Amen to that!  I dream of our offense being dangerous from all phases aka Clemson. If Clemson goes into the C- game trying to convince themselves they are a down hill running team Alabama would have wiped the field with them. A good QB, and big physical receivers coupled with an imaginative passing game is the great equalizer against these elite defensive athletes in the SEC. I see this trend slowly beginning to emerge in our conference. The only teams in the last three years that have produced wins against Alabama, the measuring stick of SEC defenses, are Ole Miss, and Clemson. Two teams that clearly "Sling it All Over The Yard."

8 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Guess it depends on the "it" we will sling. I will wait to see before placing ill fated hopes on a qb Who has yet to take a snap for our beloved orange and blue.

I'm not sure we will sling it but I think we will throw more plus I am surprised to see you be Missouri on a guy that already has played well at Baylor. Glad you are honest but what have you seen to give you pause on Stidham?

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm not sure we will sling it but I think we will throw more plus I am surprised to see you be Missouri on a guy that already has played well at Baylor. Glad you are honest but what have you seen to give you pause on Stidham?

I guess he's in the same line of thinking that I'm in. Lets wait until after spring practice and fall camp to anoint anybody the next poo-bah. Stidham was a great signee but other things still have to come together. Also, this wouldn't be the first time that more highly rated players were beaten out by Sean White.

The smart money is on Stidham and that's where I'd put my money too but it's too early to do anything but put your money down and hope.

Sling it > wing it.  UNH-huh.

May there just at LEAST be some mystery involved this year, both for the opponents and for the faithful fans!  Let the "creativity" stem from rivals' scrambling to deal with the plays that are "slung" their way.  Unh huh.

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

They had success because they had two Heisman finalists on their offensive unit. 2016 Oklahoma was not your typical Big-12 team, not by a long shot.

And after AU lost it's starting qb. Defense held up against everything but a talented scrambling Mayfield. But back to 'slinging it".

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

Sling it > wing it.  UNH-huh.

May there just at LEAST be some mystery involved this year, both for the opponents and for the faithful fans!  Let the "creativity" stem from rivals' scrambling to deal with the plays that are "slung" their way.  Unh huh.

Off season. Malzahn administration. We're (I suspect) all "winging it" (into the light of the...?).

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I guess he's in the same line of thinking that I'm in. Lets wait until after spring practice and fall camp to anoint anybody the next poo-bah. Stidham was a great signee but other things still have to come together. Also, this wouldn't be the first time that more highly rated players were beaten out by Sean White.

The smart money is on Stidham and that's where I'd put my money too but it's too early to do anything but put your money down and hope.

Not happening barring an injury to Stidham.

And it would be the 1st time Sean beat out a more highly rated QB if he does it because Sean is the highest rated QB Gus had ever signed as AU HC before we got Stidham. Sean was a 4* #144 overall, JJ was a 4* #166 overallQueen was a 3*, Woddy was a 4* #248 overall, JF3 was a 3*, & Nick was a 3*.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not happening barring an injury to Stidham.

And it would be the 1st time Sean beat out a more highly rated QB if he does it because Sean is the highest rated QB Gus had ever signed as AU HC before we got Stidham. Sean was a 4* #144 overall, JJ was a 4* #166 overallQueen was a 3*, Woddy was a 4* #248 overall, JF3 was a 3*, & Nick was a 3*.

I think Mikey might have been referring to the Elite 11 competition. 

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Ahh. True. Would not have thought about that unless stated. I obviously was focused on time at AU.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Ahh. True. Would not have thought about that unless stated. I obviously was focused on time at AU.

Just hope and pray, either way, and in the interest of depth, that

Mr. White is not still "slinging" it come opener.

3 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Lindsey will not be the reason we will be successful passing. Regardless if it's 80-20 or 50-50 run-pass or somewhere in-between. That will be due to Mr. Stidham. 

Welcome home.

6 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not being negative. But I'm in the "show me" stage with Gus. And he has earned that honor. 

:drippingsarcasm7pa: I agree I'll have to see it to believe it

2 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

?

Sorry for lack of clarity.

First post, welcome to the family.

Post Often.

3 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Lindsey will not be the reason we will be successful passing. Regardless if it's 80-20 or 50-50 run-pass or somewhere in-between. That will be due to Mr. Stidham. 

Hardly . SW was pretty successful passing the ball last year . High percentage and very accurate , however we were far from a balance team . Many of us want to see more balance and a lot of that comes with play calling .

11 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Can I like this twice? Also, the UA all-star game. Then JJ was way more highly rated. The list may be longer but that should suffice.

PS: Well it seems some service or the other had White rated higher than JJ, but that's not what the feeling was around AU when the two were signed. JJ was considered quite a recruiting coup. White, not so much.

Yeah I'm not being negative, and I have every hope that Stidham will be the guy and the updated O will succeed...but...I'm just so wary on  being too optimistic until I see some improvement on the field.

pragmatism...astigmatism something like that. 

Inuendo, it isn't just an Italian suppository. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Hardly . SW was pretty successful passing the ball last year . High percentage and very accurate , however we were far from a balance team . Many of us want to see more balance and a lot of that comes with play calling .

When the majority of your passes are <10 yards, your completion percentage increases, but your odds of scoring through the air decrease because of those same limitations of being able to stretch defenses.

Stidham will solve our >10 yard pass woes and our inability to score through the air. Defenses will be forced to cover all areas of the field, which opens up running lanes, which ultimately brings that balance we've been missing and it won't be because of a magician play caller.

It's interesting Marshall had the same two offensive coaches as White, yet Marshall threw several 20-40 yard (and even 57 yard) spirals on target. Yes there were some thrown off target by Marshall. Point is he was allowed to throw far more of those than White with roughly the same run-pass ratio.

The capabilities of the QB, more often than not, dictate play calling. Another similar example is Sims/Coker vs. Hurts. Same play caller. Yet the latter QB can't throw those 20-40 yarders accurately with consistency as the two former QBs so often did, thus why Kiffin's offense was handicapped with short passes throughout last season.

42 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Yeah I'm not being negative, and I have every hope that Stidham will be the guy and the updated O will succeed...but...I'm just so wary on  being too optimistic until I see some improvement on the field.

pragmatism...astigmatism something like that. 

Inuendo, it isn't just an Italian suppository. 

My thing is I believe in Stidham. I'm just Missouri on Gus letting Chip throw it more.

7 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Disagree with this some. If Gus let's Chip do his thing he will be A reason we would be succesful passing. He brings a much more polished passing attack from an Xs & Os stand point. He uses spacing much more effectively  in his passing schemes than Gus does.No doubt having a QB that can make the throws is massive but better route schemes & designs will help too.

Archived