NASCAR thread (Kyle Larson 2021 Champ)

AUBwins

I have been wanting to start one for a while, but I figured the start of the 2017 season was as good a time as any. 

Really looking forward to the season.  With JR missing the last half of the season with a concussion, I am ready to see him race again as a married man.  A good woman helps to keep things in perspective. 

Anyways, several changes to the season this year to try to gain more followers, especially young people. New points system, and a big change is the races themselves.  Each race is divided into 3 segments.  Points will be awarded for winning segments.  This is an effort to keep the racing exciting throughout the entire race and not just at the end.  I hope this does not eliminate the green flag stops, and fuel mileage gambles.  Those create exciting finishes. 

FS1 has the exhibition race tonight. Then qualifying all next week leading up to the Daytona 500. Any NASCAR fans out there?  I know of at least one on this board. 

What do you think of the new format? 

Edited by AUBwins

Hendrick Motorsports front row at Daytona. JR, the active leader in restrictor plate wins with 10, barely lost the pole position by .02 mph to teammate Chase Elliott. I expect JR to race like he stole it this year after having time for perspective last season. Go get em Junebug! 

10 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Hendrick Motorsports front row at Daytona. JR, the active leader in restrictor plate wins with 10, barely lost the pole position by .02 mph to teammate Chase Elliott. I expect JR to race like he stole it this year after having time for perspective last season. Go get em Junebug! 

JR, on the local news (I live in Race City USA), said if he wins the title this year, he will retire.  He even said if he doesn't, he still may retire.  He is listening to his doctors on this one.  I didn't realize, but he is 42 and he is putting things in perspective.

I figured as much. I hope he gets the title.  He deserves it for all he does for the sport.  After last year I started looking for a new driver to follow once he retires.  Funny thing is that I am pretty much set on Chase Elliot who is sharing the front row for Daytona.  Young guy that will be around for a while and has that aggressive racing attitude.  He is going to be a good one.  He also drives the 24 car which is my favorite number :) 

Great racing in the Duels tonight.  Jr led just about every lap but fell victim on the next to last lap to a perfectly timed momentum with a 3 car line that prevented a block by Jr.  If this was the 500 on Sunday, I think Jr takes the chance on block.  A block there likely ends in a big crash. Hamlin wins the duel which puts him in the 2nd spot on the outside line for the 500. Fun night. 

McMurray didn't exactly cover himself in glory in this 500 and is most likely done for the day. Caused two multi car crashes with his recklessness. 

Sounds like a lot of chaos today.  I missed the race entirely due to a first birthday for my niece, but glad it had a first time winner. Not really a Kurt Busch fan, but like that he finally won after 16 tries. 

We were pretty much guaranteed a first time winner in the closing stages. Logano was the only previous winner with a shot, and it was a long one. He hovered around ten after the final restart and never really pushed. I was pulling for Chase Elliot. He had it, but he ran out of gas with 2 to go. 

Edited by Bigbens42

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Sounds like a lot of chaos today.  I missed the race entirely due to a first birthday for my niece, but glad it had a first time winner. Not really a Kurt Busch fan, but like that he finally won after 16 tries. 

Quick Kurt Busch story; I was visiting a contractor that was restoring my '62 Vette back in 07.  I pull in his parking lot and attempt to back up into a parking spot.  I put the car in reverse and about to let out the clutch, I look in the rear view mirror and its full of black BMW.  I put on the brakes and the BMW zooms by.  I parked and got out and stare down the drive and he returns the stare.  I asked the guy working on my car who that was and it was, of course, Kurt Busch.  I would have been pi$$ed if it was a Joe Blow a$$hole, but it was an a$$hole with some skill.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bittersweet day for me today as Dale Earnhardt Jr. has made the decision to retire from NASCAR after the current season.  Missing 18 races a year ago to concussion symptoms, and getting married on New Years Eve this past year, I think, played a major role in his decision.  I am sure he feels it is time to move on to the next chapter and settle down with his new wife and little ones to come.  While saddened to not see him race anymore as well as the last real connection Dale Sr., I am happy for him to be able to make this decision with solace.  All around good guy.  The sport will hurt big with this, especially with other stars recently leaving such as Gordon, Stewart, and Edwards.  There is not much else that can top being at Talladega as the crowd stands and cheers when Jr takes the lead.  Glad I got to experience that a few times in recent years.  My biggest moment watching him as a driver was him winning the Summer race at Daytona the year his father died on the last lap of the Daytona 500 in Feb.  Jr went on to win 5 of the next 6 plate races after his Dad's death and has multiple more 2nd place finishes at those tracks.  JR winning the 500 in 2014 was huge for me too as that was a delayed race because of weather, finishing close to midnight.  I was screaming through my sleepiness as he held off the Roush boys. That win sparked his resurgence to winning consistently.  My most frustrating race was JR leading the Coke 600, which he has never won, driving the car like he stole it only to run out of gas with a half lap to go.  I only wish he could have won a NASCAR title.  He deserves at least 1.  I hope he catches fire and wins some races this year and goes out with a bang.  Kyle Busch won it 2 years ago after missing the first 11 races.  It can happen and would truly be a perfect send off.  Good luck to you JR.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/19238738/dale-earnhardt-jr-retire-2017-season

• 5 months later...

Great race today. I was really thinking fate was playing a part with JR barely missing 3 wrecks. He was in contention in the end but couldn't find the right line to get the position to win. Finished 7th. He wanted this one, as did I. I would rather him finish Talledega with a win than any more wins this year. Either way looking forward to watching the last 5 races of his Cup career. 

• 1 month later...

Championship race today at 2:30. Winner take all among 4 drivers: Truex, Kyle Busch, Harvick, and Keselowski. Truex has dominated the season and would like for him to get it.  His girlfriend has been a cancer success story, and his year has been special

• 6 months later...

Kyle Busch became the first driver to win at every track within the Nascar circuit with his domination in the Coca cola 600 last night.  Most hate him, but still an impressive feat. Much respect.  I didn't like him early in the career.  He was more arrogant than confident.  Now he has settled down nicely since getting married.  A good woman will do that to you.  His celebration with his son last night was admirable.  Now hoping Chase Elliot can put some good runs together and get that first win.  I am pulling for him now that Jr is retired and domesticated lol. 

• Like 1

Sadly, I stopped watcning NASCAR when Carl Edwards retired?...............Totally felt the same about Kyle and agree he has matured thanks to wife and child....while he will always be Kyle his talent is off the chart?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Kyle Busch became the first driver to win at every track within the Nascar circuit with his domination in the Coca cola 600 last night.  Most hate him, but still an impressive feat. Much respect.  I didn't like him early in the career.  He was more arrogant than confident.  Now he has settled down nicely since getting married.  A good woman will do that to you.  His celebration with his son last night was admirable.  Now hoping Chase Elliot can put some good runs together and get that first win.  I am pulling for him now that Jr is retired and domesticated lol. 

Is Matt Kenseth  back with Roush Racing fulltime?

10 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Is Matt Kenseth  back with Roush Racing fulltime?

I can see it getting there. I know he came into help him out some. No set contract yet though. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

I can see it getting there. I know he came into help him out some. No set contract yet though. 

That may pull me back in?........Was shocked when Carl retired..........JR, Kenseth.....all too much at once........Other things I wont mention have turned me off a little.......I do miss watching.

I still wonder if there was more going on at Joe Gibbs than reported by the media

A lot of turnover for sure in a short period of time. Gordon leaving as well. It has been harder to watch without JR.  

I think once a few of those young guys start winning it will bring some back. The France family is also selling NASCAR I believe. Not sure where that will lead either. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/23/2017 at 12:08 PM, AUBwins said:

Funny thing is that I am pretty much set on Chase Elliot who is sharing the front row for Daytona.  Young guy that will be around for a while and has that aggressive racing attitude.  He is going to be a good one. 

On 5/28/2018 at 10:30 AM, AUBwins said:

Now hoping Chase Elliot can put some good runs together and get that first win.

My boy Chase got his first win today, showing that aggressive racing from lap 1. He was hungry for it today and just wanted it.  What a great race overall!  Chase and Martin Truex both ran out of gas as they cross the finish line.  Kyle bush went from 31st to 3rd in 32 laps, which is just nuts! Best moment was a tie with Jimmy pushing Chase back to the finish line after the victory lap, and the moment Chase and his dad Bill embraced in victory lane.  Bill is the spotter for Chase.  Watch out Nascar! I think Chase is just getting started. 

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

Must watch race this Sunday  Nascar is introducing a new track this weekend, the Charlotte Roval. The track is a road course that uses a portion of the existing oval at Charlotte Motor Speedway, and turns into the infield for the remainder of the track.  The track actually was reconfigured after the first testing, as the hairpins were too intense for the large cup car setups. 

charlotte-roval-e1537891734643.jpg

What makes this interesting, this is the elimination race of Round 1 of the playoffs, and the drivers have nothing to compare this track to.  The other 2 road courses have runoff in case the cars jump the track, but with this being in the infield, not much runoff is available.  This race will be very intense throughout but especially in the closing laps as the drivers fight to continue their journey in the championship race.  Oh and there is a possibility of rain where rain tires would be used. Don't think they would race in pouring rain.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/24793884/nascar-2018-everything-need-know-first-race-charlotte-motor-speedway-roval-road-course-oval

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Must watch race this Sunday  Nascar is introducing a new track this weekend, the Charlotte Roval. The track is a road course that uses a portion of the existing oval at Charlotte Motor Speedway, and turns into the infield for the remainder of the track.  The track actually was reconfigured after the first testing, as the hairpins were too intense for the large cup car setups. 

charlotte-roval-e1537891734643.jpg

What makes this interesting, this is the elimination race of Round 1 of the playoffs, and the drivers have nothing to compare this track to.  The other 2 road courses have runoff in case the cars jump the track, but with this being in the infield, not much runoff is available.  This race will be very intense throughout but especially in the closing laps as the drivers fight to continue their journey in the championship race.  Oh and there is a possibility of rain where rain tires would be used. Don't think they would race in pouring rain.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/24793884/nascar-2018-everything-need-know-first-race-charlotte-motor-speedway-roval-road-course-oval

Thanks for sharing.........havent watched a race this year......trying to find someone to root for since Carl retired.

5 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Thanks for sharing.........havent watched a race this year......trying to find someone to root for since Carl retired.

I had the same issue when Dale was retiring.  I decided to go for a young guy with a lot of potential but also not afraid to mix it up a bit. Jr was a great guy,  but would kind of shy away from conflict.  I think that affected his racing some, with less wins.  He would settle a lot, instead of taking chances. That's why I went with Chase. I can see a little Intimidator in him.  Hope he doesn't lose that edge as he gets older.  It was cool to start rooting for him before he got his first win as well.  A chance to experience it from the beginning.  

I haven't watch as much as I would like to. The racing has been good. It has been an interesting year with 3 guys pretty much going at it all year, splitting the majority of wins.  Kyle Busch,  Martin Truex, and Harvick.  Now Brad Keselowski ripped off 3 in a row out of no where.  He is pretty dangerous when he is on.  We're know he doesn't care who is in his way.  He will just bump you in a heart beat if the race is on the line. He might steal this Championship away from the other 3. 

You may want to watch some of the young guys as well. Kyle Larson had been pretty consistent and won a few. Just waiting for him to start taking a couple of wins from the older guys instead of finishing runner up. Alex Bowman has had a solid year, heck in the playoffs. He has yet to win, so he may be an option if you want to see it from the start. He seems a little quiet like Jr was. Suarez and Erick Jones for Gibbs are pretty good. Curious if one will be gone next year to make room for Truex. Really not a lot of excitement in the middle of the pack.  You have the guys up on age and the young guys coming up. You may like Darrell Wallace Jr.  I think he is going to become really good in the near future. I like him a lot.  He also fits a little in the mold of the old school Nascar driver.  A little bit of fire, but consistent.  

Truex team Furniture Row is shutting down. Losing a sponsor and couldn't get anyone on board. Newman left Childress for Roush (I may have swapped the company names). He will drive the 6 car that your boy Kenseth was driving this year. Not sure if Kenseth found a ride or not. 

Side note,  Jr had been pretty good on the commentary for races. He has shown his knowledge of the cars, and tracks.  Learned a lot from the times I have seen him. 

• Love 1

Thanks..........oh Brad.........grrrr........dating back to early Carl feud and his involvement with Matt........ooops must have blown a tire and caused me to spin Matt.....no love for the blue duesh..........but your right.......when he's on lookout.....

Kind of doesnt surprise me much about Furniture Row cashing out...........Had heard that Truex may move to the 19..........I think Matt will call it quits.........Too many drivers retiring at once.....JR.....Gordon.....Edwards.......like Nascar getting makeover...

I too like Chase........liked his father back in the day...........this road coarse should be interesting...........thanks for the info?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I had the same issue when Dale was retiring.  I decided to go for a young guy with a lot of potential but also not afraid to mix it up a bit. Jr was a great guy,  but would kind of shy away from conflict.  I think that affected his racing some, with less wins.  He would settle a lot, instead of taking chances. That's why I went with Chase. I can see a little Intimidator in him.  Hope he doesn't lose that edge as he gets older.  It was cool to start rooting for him before he got his first win as well.  A chance to experience it from the beginning.  

I haven't watch as much as I would like to. The racing has been good. It has been an interesting year with 3 guys pretty much going at it all year, splitting the majority of wins.  Kyle Busch,  Martin Truex, and Harvick.  Now Brad Keselowski ripped off 3 in a row out of no where.  He is pretty dangerous when he is on.  We're know he doesn't care who is in his way.  He will just bump you in a heart beat if the race is on the line. He might steal this Championship away from the other 3. 

You may want to watch some of the young guys as well. Kyle Larson had been pretty consistent and won a few. Just waiting for him to start taking a couple of wins from the older guys instead of finishing runner up. Alex Bowman has had a solid year, heck in the playoffs. He has yet to win, so he may be an option if you want to see it from the start. He seems a little quiet like Jr was. Suarez and Erick Jones for Gibbs are pretty good. Curious if one will be gone next year to make room for Truex. Really not a lot of excitement in the middle of the pack.  You have the guys up on age and the young guys coming up. You may like Darrell Wallace Jr.  I think he is going to become really good in the near future. I like him a lot.  He also fits a little in the mold of the old school Nascar driver.  A little bit of fire, but consistent.  

Truex team Furniture Row is shutting down. Losing a sponsor and couldn't get anyone on board. Newman left Childress for Roush (I may have swapped the company names). He will drive the 6 car that your boy Kenseth was driving this year. Not sure if Kenseth found a ride or not. 

Side note,  Jr had been pretty good on the commentary for races. He has shown his knowledge of the cars, and tracks.  Learned a lot from the times I have seen him. 

You know I often wonder if Nascar's decision making the season Matt wrecked Logano took some desire out of Matt.........I try not to look at it from a standpoint of my dislike for Brad and Joey........I will credit them all day for having tremendous talent........But I swear for weeks leading up to that race it seemed in my opinion they had a little tag team action on Matt.........and I will be the first to admit Matt is no angel when it comes to blocking.