NASCAR thread (Kyle Larson 2021 Champ)

AUBwins

Wow! This race did not disappoint.  What a crazy 6 laps to finish this off.  Really hard to explain all the implications of the last 6 laps.  Big crash took out the leaders with 6 to go.  Kyle Larson was in the clear by 20+ points and was likely going to be the winner before the crash from a late restart.  With a torn up race car and pretty much left for dead as far as advancing, a wreck 40 seconds ahead of him allowed him to pass a parked car that spun near the finish line to advance on a tiebreaker!

The last wreck was a result of Jimmie Johnson trying to pass Truex for the win on the last chicane before the line, when he spun both drivers out.  Jimmie crossed the line 1 spot too late and lost the tiebreaker with Larson.  Jimmie eliminated himself with the wreck. Crazy crazy crazy, and fun race to watch.  Love it being an elimination race. Wow!

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Wow! This race did not disappoint.  What a crazy 6 laps to finish this off.  Really hard to explain all the implications of the last 6 laps.  Big crash took out the leaders with 6 to go.  Kyle Larson was in the clear by 20+ points and was likely going to be the winner before the crash from a late restart.  With a torn up race car and pretty much left for dead as far as advancing, a wreck 40 seconds ahead of him allowed him to pass a parked car that spun near the finish line to advance on a tiebreaker!

The last wreck was a result of Jimmie Johnson trying to pass Truex for the win on the last chicane before the line, when he spun both drivers out.  Jimmie crossed the line 1 spot too late and lost the tiebreaker with Larson.  Jimmie eliminated himself with the wreck. Crazy crazy crazy, and fun race to watch.  Love it being an elimination race. Wow!

Your thoughts........looked to me like Jimmy hit that turn waaaaay to fast and wheel hopped.............Martin with some the old school spin of Jimmy after race..?.........always have said need a few more road courses?

It was very hard to keep up with points that last lap.  They made it sound like Jimmy was far enough ahead to risk going for it.  Who would have thought Jeffrey Earnhardt not driving a little further to finish the race would save Larson and eliminate Jimmy.  Just nuts. I was liking Chase being third and on the inside for restart.  I think at that point he was trying to not lose the tires and save his playoff chances.  If he was still in third he would have won though. 

Jimmy was definitely going hard.  I liked that he was going to try to cross him over in the chicane and steal the inside turn.  That was his only chance to win.  His wheels just started locking up and couldn't save it. Jimmy raced better today than I have seen in a long time. 

Man that was fun to watch though.  I hope they keep this race in this spot.  It was unique this year since they have never raced it, but they have always needed a road course in the playoffs. I like how they brought in a new course all together. 

• Love 1

Kudos to some young guys stepping up to save their seasons.  Bowman showed something good today. Of course Blaney as well, winning the race. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Kudos to some young guys stepping up to save their seasons.  Bowman showed something good today. Of course Blaney as well, winning the race. 

I needed that race.....havent been that excited since Jeff Gordon tried to square up Keslowski and Harvick come up behind with the sissy push?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I needed that race.....havent been that excited since Jeff Gordon tried to square up Keslowski and Harvick come up behind with the sissy push?

I needed it too. Got me focused on watching the rest of these playoffs. Just wish I would be in Talladega in a couple weeks.  My father in law and I went a few years in a row and camped in infield. Always perfect weather in October.  

I have to say it was enjoyable watching Brad go straight into the wall in turn 1, and still be ok of course.  And Clint Bowyer interview afterwards.  Did you catch it?  He is just a hilarious country boy explaining what happened.  All of the interviews had some humor in them.  

Edited by AUBwins

49 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I needed it too. Got me focused on watching the rest of these playoffs. Just wish I would be in Talladega in a couple weeks.  My father in law and I went a few years in a row and camped in infield. Always perfect weather in October.  

I have to say it was enjoyable watching Brad go straight into the wall in turn 1, and still be ok of course.  And Clint Bowyer interview afterwards.  Did you catch it?  He is just a hilarious country boy explaining what happened.  All of the interviews had some humor in them.  

Lmao........I tried disliking Clint several years back and just couldnt...........Reminds me of local late model drivers everywhere.......Still remembers his roots and pretty grounded........love the fact he is dumb like a fox?

• Haha 1

Whooooo! That a boy Chase! Wins two restarts on old tires to come away with his 2nd career win and 1st driver to advance to Round of 8. That boy can race! Now no worries for Talladega. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

NASCAR lost a legend. He was way before my time, but one of those that molded the sport into what it is today. 

Joey Logano wins Nascar championship with an incredible 10 lap sprint to the finish.  Congrats on your first championship! 

20181118_173531.jpg

To show how well other drivers like him, one teammate, Keselowski, was the only driver shown to congratulate him.  Normally, many drivers come to victory lane to congratulate the champion. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, around4ever said:

To show how well other drivers like him, one teammate, Keselowski, was the only driver shown to congratulate him.  Normally, many drivers come to victory lane to congratulate the champion. 

Martin had a chance to end it for him several times, but kudos to him for racing him clean.  If Truex didn't make final 4, it may have been different.  Doubt it though because Martin is a class act.  I really thought Kyle stole a win though.  Joey must have added whiskey to the mix that last run. 

@AUBwins did you notice on the last pit stop when Truex had almost 2 second lead on Logano that Logano and Truex entered their pit stall at almost the same time.  2 seconds ahead and Logano was a few stalls in front of Truex.  Either Logano was speeding on pit road or Truex was being way too safe. 

I think Truex was just being over cautious. I don't think Nascar misses the speeding penalties.  I wasn't paying attention to Joey pitting at the time to notice though.  I am still aggravated that Chase screwed himself the week before in the pits when he was in prime position to win the race last week. Harvick gets caught a lap down due to being on pit road when a caution flies, only for Chase to speed going down pit road which puts him at the tail of the line past the wave around cars such as Harvick. 

• 2 months later...

Daytona 500 today!

Wish I was there. I think Kyle Busch finally gets the 500 win he is missing.  I am pulling for my boy Chase.  He is good at plate races but has been quiet this week.  Looking forward to an exciting year. 

17 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Daytona 500 today!

Wish I was there. I think Kyle Busch finally gets the 500 win he is missing.  I am pulling for my boy Chase.  He is good at plate races but has been quiet this week.  Looking forward to an exciting year. 

Hope to see better racing than I've seen in the preliminary races this week. Plate racing used to be 2-3 wide racing with 3, or 4 lead changes in a single lap. This single line freight train stuff is beyond boring. I hope they were just being cautious, and this is not caused by Nascar mandated aero package. If so, they need to get it fixed.  I'm hoping I don't see 3 hrs of follow the leader.

Edited by Eagle-1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Hope to see better racing than I've seen in the preliminary races this week. Plate racing used to be 2-3 wide racing with 3, or 4 lead changes in a single lap. This single line freight train stuff is beyond boring. I hope they were just being cautious, and this is not caused by Nascar mandated aero package. If so, they need to get it fixed.  I'm hoping I don't see 3 hrs of follow the leader.

I saw France addressed that in the driver's meeting this morning.  He mentioned to them he hopes some will run the bottom with Chase and Denny to give the fans a race. 

• Like 1

Denny Hamlin wins one for JDGibbs who passed away this offseason. Pretty special moment. Kyle came in 2nd. 

• 2 months later...

Woohoo! The siren is ringing in Dawsonville, GA! Chase wins at Talledega!

images.jpeg.jpg

2019-chase-elliott.jpg

chase1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That's his first win this year and the sixth driver to win this year.  1st time for Chevy this year.  Winning early really takes the pressure off since you are guaranteed a playoff spot.  Now you just race for wins and playoff points, which helps you move from round to round until final race.  Go get em!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

That's his first win this year and the sixth driver to win this year.  1st time for Chevy this year.  Winning early really takes the pressure off since you are guaranteed a playoff spot.  Now you just race for wins and playoff points, which helps you move from round to round until final race.  Go get em!

Awesome win and great for Chevrolet as they had been written off by everyone for this race based on design for tandem racing.........really happy for Chase!

38 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Awesome win and great for Chevrolet as they had been written off by everyone for this race based on design for tandem racing.........really happy for Chase!

Yes.  I was getting anxious thinking he was waiting too long to make a move, but he was patient and the bottom opened surprisingly and he and Alex took advantage. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Love 2

I was there!  It was a very entertaining race.  I like the new super speedway package.  Congrats to Elliott and so glad to see Larson walk away from that terrible crash.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

I was there!  It was a very entertaining race.  I like the new super speedway package.  Congrats to Elliott and so glad to see Larson walk away from that terrible crash.  

No doubt.........car just kept rolling.