uat Offensive Coordinator

penguin149

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/alabama-patriots-brian-daboll-offensive-coordinator-steve-sarkisian-lane-kiffin/14cklwmuacg1t16wusa8shh86f

So much for Chip Kelley......

Nick Saban has reportedly found his new offensive coordinator. 

Alabama will name New England Patriots tight ends coach Brian Daboll as its new coordinator, according to ESPN

Daboll has spent the previous four seasons on Bill Belichick's coaching staff in New England.

Daboll replaces Steve Sarkisian, who had just one game as the Crimson Tide's offensive coordinator. After Lane Kiffin left Alabama to be the new head coach at Florida Atlantic, Sarkisian called plays for Alabama during its College Football Playoff National Championship loss to Clemson.

Sarkisian, the former Washington and USC head coach, left earlier this month to replace Kyle Shanahan as the Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator. Shanahan is now the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers. 

Daboll has been an NFL assistant since 2000, when he joined Belichick's staff in New England as a defensive assistant. He served as New England's wide receivers coach from 2002-06 before taking over as the New York Jets quarterbacks coach for two seasons.

Daboll, 41, was then the offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns from 2009-10 before one-year coordinator stints in Miami and Kansas City. He rejoined the Patriots in 2013 as an offensive assistant and was promoted to tight ends coach in 2014. 

Daboll will inherit an Alabama offense led by quarterback Jalen Hurts, who went 13-1 as a true freshman starter and was named the SEC Offensive Player of the Year.

11 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I was expecting a name I had heard of. Was this Saban settling because he had that many people tell him no?

JMO but Saban will never get a "hot property" for his OC....got another guy like the last two....needed a job. Bounced around the NFL as a coach in various positions....and TEs at the Pats....and OC at a couple of the worst offenses in the NFL.  BUT...he probably has never had a situation where he had more talent to work with ....where they can physically dominate at least 10 opponents on their schedule.   All he has to do is listen to Saban and don't throw the ball too much. 

Meanwhile, gotta wonder what the Hawaiian flash is now thinking?  Got a new OC who has not coached an offense or called an offensive game plan in about 5 years. BUT...there is probably someone behind the scenes (like a Sark) who can do planning for him. 

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but Saban will never get a "hot property" for his OC....got another guy like the last two....needed a job. Bounced around the NFL as a coach in various positions....and TEs at the Pats....and OC at a couple of the worst offenses in the NFL.  BUT...he probably has never had a situation where he had more talent to work with ....where they can physically dominate at least 10 opponents on their schedule.   All he has to do is listen to Saban and don't throw the ball too much. 

Meanwhile, gotta wonder what the Hawaiian flash is now thinking?  Got a new OC who has not coached an offense or called an offensive game plan in about 5 years. BUT...there is probably someone behind the scenes (like a Sark) who can do planning for him. 

You're probably right.

Sounds good to me... in this guys time as an OC, every single offense he ran ranked in the bottom 1/4th of the NFL. My guess is that Saban likes him because he's NFL and because he likes to run the ball.

Interesting how the different fan bases view things. Bamas take on OC, "It took a little while but we got an NFL guy who worked for Beleick we are awesome". Auburn fans take on OC, "This is taking to long so we must be terrible, the sky is falling everyone hates us, fire Gus". I actually think we got the better coach but since everyone is down on Gus right now most won't acknowledge it.

17 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Interesting how the different fan bases view things. Bamas take on OC, It took a little while but we got an NFL guy who worked for Beleick we are awesome. Auburn fans take on OC, This is taking to long so we must be terrible, the sky is falling everyone hates us, fire Gus. I actually think we got the better coach but since everyone is down on Gus right now must won't acknowledge it.

We not only got the better coach, I think we got the FAR better coach. bama got a failed NFL OC who had been knocked back to the position coach ranks, has no college experience beyond 2 years as a GA and no recruiting experience at all (which, granted, bama doesn't need since they have that locked down).

35 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Interesting how the different fan bases view things. Bamas take on OC, It took a little while but we got an NFL guy who worked for Beleick we are awesome. Auburn fans take on OC, This is taking to long so we must be terrible, the sky is falling everyone hates us, fire Gus. I actually think we got the better coach but since everyone is down on Gus right now must won't acknowledge it.

I'm confident we got an excellent OC in CCL. What you described regarding the fan bases is easily explainable though. When you are as dominant as Bama has been, your fans are confident in anything you do. When you have three straight 5 loss seasons, your fans are skeptical. Gus needs to win more games. 

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

I'm confident we got an excellent OC in CCL. What you described regarding the fan bases is easily explainable though. When you are as dominant as Bama has been, your fans are confident in anything you do. When you have three straight 5 loss seasons, your fans are skeptical. Gus needs to win more games. 

You left out something very important.  Even when bama is in a slump (think the Shula years), they still think they can do nothing wrong, until the game is over and they lost... and then the next week they're back to their delusion that bama can do no wrong. Saban could have hired Ensminger or Loffler and the bama faithful would be praising the hire as the second coming.

I'm gonna be honest, if CGM hired this guy, I would think WTH. 

But Saban has earned a significant level of credibility.  I think he and Bilichek know something that we don't.

Interesting move to say the least.

I hope this guy is their Loefler, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. 

18 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

You left out something very important.  Even when bama is in a slump (think the Shula years), they still think they can do nothing wrong, until the game is over and they lost... and then the next week they're back to their delusion that bama can do no wrong. Saban could have hired Ensminger or Loffler and the bama faithful would be praising the hire as the second coming.

Well, those bammers damn sure don't have a defeatist attitude and never crave the underdog role, they embrace the hype and run with it.

As far as this OC, I've never heard of him....But I'd never heard of McElwayne or Nussmeyer either.

16 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I'm gonna be honest, if CGM hired this guy, I would think WTH. 

But Saban has earned a significant level of credibility.  I think he and Bilichek know something that we don't.

Interesting move to say the least.

I hope this guy is their Loefler, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. 

Is it official now?

The idea of Chip Kelly or Mark Helfrich was always B.S. I think CNS had his fill of other prima donna head coaches, and wants to get back to CNS basics for assistant coaches--be invisible to the press, and stay focused on game day preparation.

That said, I am surprised he did not hire a QB developer. He has taken someone with very limited experience coaching QBs and made him his QB coach. With only a true sophomore and an incoming true freshman as his potential QBs. Think about that.

Saban also hired Joe Pannunzio to be the TE and ST coach, despite having people on his staff that could do that, and moved Mike Locksley from an off the field position to be the WR coach. Locksley has very limited experience with coaching WRs, similar to Daboll's limited experience with QBs.

All of this seems to point to Bama returning to a simpler, run-heavy offense. And it goes to my theory that Sarkisian was never a permanent replacement for Kiffin. Sarkisian left a week after NSD, and it takes more than a week to interview for a job. The Falcons probably had reached out to him (and others) as soon as it was clear Shanahan was going to get picked up as a head coach.

12 minutes ago, meh130 said:

The idea of Chip Kelly or Mark Helfrich was always B.S. I think CNS had his fill of other prima donna head coaches, and wants to get back to CNS basics for assistant coaches--be invisible to the press, and stay focused on game day preparation.

That said, I am surprised he did not hire a QB developer. He has taken someone with very limited experience coaching QBs and made him his QB coach. With only a true sophomore and an incoming true freshman as his potential QBs. Think about that.

Saban also hired Joe Pannunzio to be the TE and ST coach, despite having people on his staff that could do that, and moved Mike Locksley from an off the field position to be the WR coach. Locksley has very limited experience with coaching WRs, similar to Daboll's limited experience with QBs.

All of this seems to point to Bama returning to a simpler, run-heavy offense. And it goes to my theory that Sarkisian was never a permanent replacement for Kiffin. Sarkisian left a week after NSD, and it takes more than a week to interview for a job. The Falcons probably had reached out to him (and others) as soon as it was clear Shanahan was going to get picked up as a head coach.

Agree with everything you posted. It seems that the control freak in Saban has taken back over and he's going to live and die by doing it his way (i.e. downhill running combined with A LOT of uncalled holding).

Part of me wonders, however, if he's getting ready to call it quits and is setting bama up to not be able to compete once he's gone, to protect his legacy.  Ride out his top D for a couple more years while stifling offensive development and then call it quits and watch the walls crumble.

WOW!  Some vivid imagination.

I guess all college football fans can do is hope and pray that NS retires, hangs up coaching forever and in the meantime constructs an evil plan to sabotage their program so that his legacy may live on into eternity? 

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

WOW!  Some vivid imagination.

I guess all college football fans can do is hope and pray that NS retires, hangs up coaching forever and in the meantime constructs an evil plan to sabotage their program so that his legacy may live on into eternity?

Thanks... imagination is part of my job :).

You do have to admit, it does appear he's setting his offense up to be the second coming of Les Miles. There's two reasons for that... because his ego is so big that he thinks that he can make it work when no one else is, or because he doesn't give a crap about the O being successful.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Part of me wonders, however, if he's getting ready to call it quits and is setting bama up to not be able to compete once he's gone, to protect his legacy.  Ride out his top D for a couple more years while stifling offensive development and then call it quits and watch the walls crumble.

Regarding Saban getting read to call it quits, the same thought went through my head. But I am not sure he is trying to set Bama up for future failure. My gut says Saban believes his experiment with Kiffin was not as successful as it could have been, and Saban wants to get back to the way he used to do things. I still think he wants one more National Championship to match Bear Bryant. Of course, I am also convinced Saban was very close to going to Texas in 2013, in hopes of winning NCs at three different schools. If he had three-peated at Bama in 2013, he could have gone to Texas, spent several years rebuilding the program, won the NC, and retired on Lake Austin. When neither of those happened, I think he decided he would ride out his time at Bama with the focus on tying Bryant's 6 NCs.

Just now, meh130 said:

Regarding Saban getting read to call it quits, the same thought went through my head. But I am not sure he is trying to set Bama up for future failure. My gut says Saban believes his experiment with Kiffin was not as successful as it could have been, and Saban wants to get back to the way he used to do things. I still think he wants one more National Championship to match Bear Bryant. Of course, I am also convinced Saban was very close to going to Texas in 2013, in hopes of winning NCs at three different schools. If he had three-peated at Bama in 2013, he could have gone to Texas, spent several years rebuilding the program, won the NC, and retired on Lake Austin. When neither of those happened, I think he decided he would ride out his time at Bama with the focus on tying Bryant's 6 NCs.

I don't think you are wrong on any of this... I just wonder why someone who wants to win #6 appears to be planning to do so by going 1 dimensional. He's going with inexperienced coaches and inexperienced QBs. I guess he can rely on his magical ability to avoid key holding calls, but is that enough with the Ds that teams like Auburn and LSU are cranking out?

Their offense has been ultra balanced for years.  They've had some remarkably mediocre OC's, yet they've all been able to put up decent #'s and put points on the board.

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

Their offense has been ultra balanced for years.  They've had some remarkably mediocre OC's, yet they've all been able to put up decent #'s and put points on the board.

Yea, but now they have a mediocre OC who is also a QB coach but has very little experience coaching QBs, and who also has no experience running a dual-threat friendly offense, though their returning starting QB is a dual threat who's arm is as much a liability as it is a value. On top of that their next option at QB is a true freshman, yet they have no one to really develop him. And the icing on the cake is they now have coaches with minimal experience coaching TEs and receivers as well.  I don't believe they have come close to that recipe for disaster in the past.

Archived