The Car Thread

I_M4_AU

3 hours ago, AURex said:

I didn't have a car in high school. I didn't have a car my first year at Auburn either. But after a year of working, I was able to buy a car. My 1970 MGB would not impress the muscle car crowd, but I loved driving this car and as I soon discovered, it was a chick magnet!

1970MGB.jpg

The whole essence of the car experience is what you said, "I loved driving this car".  BTW, IMO it's interesting that the British Green color only looks good on a British car.

3 hours ago, AURex said:

I didn't have a car in high school. I didn't have a car my first year at Auburn either. But after a year of working, I was able to buy a car. My 1970 MGB would not impress the muscle car crowd, but I loved driving this car and as I soon discovered, it was a chick magnet!

1970MGB.jpg

But, at the risk of drifting crude, no back seat.

My Alpine had the same problem (which led to many beach trips).

28 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

But, at the risk of drifting crude, no back seat.

My Alpine had the same problem (which led to many beach trips).

Looking at the situation from a "chick's" point of view, maybe having no back seat was a plus?

15 hours ago, AURex said:

1970MGB.jpg

Nice............... one of my girlfriends had a yellow one man the fun we had in it. She was a USA grad and was a dancer on their dance team for sports events. my my stick shift

Unfortunately, when I left Auburn to go to one of those big midwestern universities for grad work, the winter up there killed the MGB. I still miss driving that car and have thought about buying one as a fun drive for the mountains.

14 hours ago, AURex said:

Unfortunately, when I left Auburn to go to one of those big midwestern universities for grad work, the winter up there killed the MGB. I still miss driving that car and have thought about buying one as a fun drive for the mountains.

I love driving in the mountains with all the curves.  Wife enjoys it too, but our reasons are totally different.  When she's with me, I have a audio governor, as the speed increases, she starts telling me to slow down so she can take in the view.  One drive we will be taking this spring is the "tail of the dragon" in NC/Tennessee.  If you are unfamiliar, it has 318 curves in a span of 11 miles.  I understand there are many areas that the cops sit and wait for enthusiast like me can get caught speeding, so I'll take my wife.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_Gap,_North_Carolina

hahaha -- Too bad M4. My wife loves going fast, especially with the top down. She loves to drive fast. Not recklessly, but fast. When we went shopping for our last two cars, she demanded "must have a V6" and test driving, her first comment was always about the acceleration. She fantasizes about owning one of these -- An Aston Martin Volante.

2017_aston-martin_v12-vantage-s_converti

Ahhh, the James Bond car, nice.  If you are really interested in getting a MGB, look up the many MGB car clubs, they can point you in the right direction as to what to look for in a restored MGB.  The true sports cars are fun to drive.

7 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I love driving in the mountains with all the curves.  Wife enjoys it too, but our reasons are totally different.  When she's with me, I have a audio governor, as the speed increases, she starts telling me to slow down so she can take in the view.  One drive we will be taking this spring is the "tail of the dragon" in NC/Tennessee.  If you are unfamiliar, it has 318 curves in a span of 11 miles.  I understand there are many areas that the cops sit and wait for enthusiast like me can get caught speeding, so I'll take my wife.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_Gap,_North_Carolina

Not a particular car, but re: mountain driving:

American Virgin Islands - Appalachians, with the same curvy, two-lanes, but dropped into the Caribbean with ~2-3K ft above sea. American cars, but British-style left lane. Driver's face can be in the foliage, but locals behind you ain't slowing down for scenery.

• 1 month later...

1000 HP is crazy, you might need a special license for this simular to a Concealed Carry just so the local government can keep tabs on you.

• 1 month later...

large.592f8aabde9f3_Porsche944Turbo.JPG

College football is around the corner, so I thought I'd visit this site again.  Two of my favorite escapes are college football and classic cars.  So, I'm glad to see a discussion thread on here about cars.  Most of my life I have managed to own cars that are impractical to most people.  Love the MG on here.  I've always liked cars that were classy and not as common as what everyone else was buying at the time.  My first car was a 1978 Triumph Spitfire that cost me $2400.  It was only 6 years old when I bought it.  I worked two jobs all summer and only had enough money to buy a tank of gas after I paid for it.  I also had a 1969 Triumph TR6.  Beautiful car, but typically British.  I loved the Sunday afternoon drives, but always hated the long walks home.  I currently have a couple of older Porsches, a 1980 911SC and a 1986 944 Turbo.  The 944 Turbo has a history that would be interesting to the Auburn fans.  The guy I bought it from in Texas told me it was bought new by a NFL player, but didn't know who.  It came with a huge stack of paper work with records back to when it was new.  Turns out it was purchased new by Joe Cribbs.  I recognized the name because I grew up in Birmingham and watched him play for Auburn and the Birmingham Stallions.  I consider selling it every now and then, but usually change my mind after I take it out for a drive.  It was the fastest car made by Porsche when it was manufactured.  If anyone has contact information for Joe, I'd love to send him some photos of his old car.  It is still in pretty good shape and only has about 100,000 miles on it.

10 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

College football is around the corner, so I thought I'd visit this site again.  Two of my favorite escapes are college football and classic cars.  So, I'm glad to see a discussion thread on here about cars.  Most of my life I have managed to own cars that are impractical to most people.  Love the MG on here.  I've always liked cars that were classy and not as common as what everyone else was buying at the time.  My first car was a 1978 Triumph Spitfire that cost me $2400.  It was only 6 years old when I bought it.  I worked two jobs all summer and only had enough money to buy a tank of gas after I paid for it.  I also had a 1969 Triumph TR6.  Beautiful car, but typically British.  I loved the Sunday afternoon drives, but always hated the long walks home.  I currently have a couple of older Porsches, a 1980 911SC and a 1986 944 Turbo.  The 944 Turbo has a history that would be interesting to the Auburn fans.  The guy I bought it from in Texas told me it was bought new by a NFL player, but didn't know who.  It came with a huge stack of paper work with records back to when it was new.  Turns out it was purchased new by Joe Cribbs.  I recognized the name because I grew up in Birmingham and watched him play for Auburn and the Birmingham Stallions.  I consider selling it every now and then, but usually change my mind after I take it out for a drive.  It was the fastest car made by Porsche when it was manufactured.  If anyone has contact information for Joe, I'd love to send him some photos of his old car.  It is still in pretty good shape and only has about 100,000 miles on it.

Cool story.  I always liked the 944 turbo for reasons I don't really understand.

On 5/31/2017 at 11:22 PM, Ramblin Wreck said:

Good story, Ramblin.  My neighbors owns a TR 6, love to hear it crank up when he takes it for a drive.  It's in nice condition, British Green (I wonder if the Brits know there are other colors in the spectrum?).  

Archived