UAT women 63, AU 61

Mikey

This should put a wrap on Coach Flo's term here. I think she worked hard, the players she got hustle but.... The team looks like they never practice a minute of offense. We don't have an offense. Five years here and we still don't have a power player at the 5 spot. If we're going to do what we're doing out there, some pure shooters are required and we haven't signed any of those.

Recruiting hasn't been what it has to be to keep a team in the top half of the SEC, let alone challenge for a championship. Next year Ferking and Montgomery will be gone and then what? It's time to give somebody else a shot at returning this Auburn program to what it once was, or at least close to that. Three straight NCAA final TWO's back then and now struggling to routinely make the WNIT. We have the resources and location to do much, much better.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

This should put a wrap on Coach Flo's term here. I think she worked hard, the players she got hustle but.... The team looks like they never practice a minute of offense. We don't have an offense. Five years here and we still don't have a power player at the 5 spot. If we're going to do what we're doing out there, some pure shooters are required and we haven't signed any of those.

Recruiting hasn't been what it has to be to keep a team in the top half of the SEC, let alone challenge for a championship. Next year Ferking and Montgomery will be gone and then what? It's time to give somebody else a shot at returning this Auburn program to what it once was, or at least close to that. Three straight NCAA final TWO's back then and now struggling to routinely make the WNIT. We have the resources and location to do much, much better.

I would love to agree here Mikey but I just can't. I don't want JJ making another coaching hire at AU. Let's get a new Prez, get JJ gone, then worry about if Flo needs to go.

I like how hard the Auburn team plays.  The lack of bigs is the biggest issue. Next year we actually will have some bigs but losing Ferking and Montgomery will be difficult to replace. I want to give coach Flo one more year and see if she can do it. Also like Elitor I would prefer JJ gone if we go looking for another coach.

So are we saying his last 2 hires were not an improvement on his hiring of coaches? Or did others have the influence and push to go higher for the quality of ooaches hires?

Or is it more than just hiring coaches why most want JJ gone?

But I think Flo should not be given another year. She had 5 and that is plenty for coaches.Lebo got 6 and it didn't matter...recruiting is recruiting...

15 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

So are we saying his last 2 hires were not an improvement on his hiring of coaches? Or did others have the influence and push to go higher for the quality of ooaches hires?

Or is it more than just hiring coaches why most want JJ gone?

But I think Flo should not be given another year. She had 5 and that is plenty for coaches.Lebo got 6 and it didn't matter...recruiting is recruiting...

The only coach that Jay has hired as AD that has constantly produced is in softball. 

BP may prove to be the next home run but right now that hasn't been the case.

Even gymnastics is a big disappointment this year.

10 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

The only coach that Jay has hired as AD that has constantly produced is in softball. 

And that was handed to him on a silver platter. Others did the leg work there.

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I'm not going to say Basketball is a bust. But getting Pearl, a proven top tier coach was still a much better hire than the his prior hires.

That was handed to him on a silver platter too. Nobody else wanted Pearl because he still had a NCAA show cause in him for 5 more months.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

I couldn't agree more.  Now is the time.  We have everything in place to make strides in this sport. We need to move forward and make the right hire.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

I would love to agree here Mikey but I just can't. I don't want JJ making another coaching hire at AU. Let's get a new Prez, get JJ gone, then worry about if Flo needs to go.

We can't just wait around. The time is now.  By the way, a new President is not going to fire JJ.  Auburn has been blessed to have a great President in Gogue.  The fact that he hasn't placed athletics ahead of absolutely everything on campus doesn't make him somehow less of a President, it makes him more of one.

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

To be fair, gymnastics is in a rebuilding year and is still a top 20 squad.  Pearl is a home run hire.  We have never had this much talent assembled on the court in men's basketball. Never.

29 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

We can't just wait around. The time is now.  By the way, a new President is not going to fire JJ.  Auburn has been blessed to have a great President in Gogue.  The fact that he hasn't placed athletics ahead of absolutely everything on campus doesn't make him somehow less of a President, it makes him more of one.

Gogue may have been great for academics. I have no clue though as I do not follow that closely. As for the athletics side Gogue was horrible & did not care a dang thing about athletics other than did the eagle fly good or that we had funnel cakes. We need a president who knows & understands how athletics can impact the entire university in a positive way much, much more than those areas can do on their own. And a new Prez may very well let JJ go. Not sure if it will pan out but there is a movement in the PTBs to hire a guy that will get that done.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

To be fair, gymnastics is in a rebuilding year and is still a top 20 squad.  Pearl is a home run hire.  We have never had this much talent assembled on the court in men's basketball. Never.

I hope you are right. I really want BP to be successful and he is getting great talent, but the team is tanking right now. Our 5 freshmen are good, but no Fab Five.

If the BB team doesn't make the NIT this year, I think it will  be a major disappointment.

1 minute ago, PUB78 said:

I hope you are right. I really want BP to be successful and he is getting great talent, but the team is tanking right now. Our 5 freshmen are good, but no Fab Five.

If the BB team doesn't make the NIT this year, I think it will  be a major disappointment.

Prepare for disappointment.  Odds are they won't make it.

Gogue has been great for academics and the overall success at Auburn. However, athletics are an important aspect, too.

JJ has done some very good things for athletics including facilities and game day experiences, but his hiring record is horrible. Working for the Athletic Dept is the only job he has had, so he might not be able to see the forest for the trees anymore.

20 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

JJ has done some very good things for athletics including facilities and game day experiences, but his hiring record is horrible. Working for the Athletic Dept is the only job he has had, so he might not be able to see the forest for the trees anymore.

He's as much of a scapegoat as anything else.  It's not like he makes all of the calls himself. He has big money donors in his ear day-in and day-out. They basically hand picked him for the job. Now that enough bad decisions have been made with him in place, they want to cut ties and get their next hand picked choice in there.  My hope is that the new president will hire who he wants and not who the PTB tell him they want.

37 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Disappointing yes but still progress as we will finish over .500 for the 1st time in 8 years, improve by 6 games or more over last year's team, have a near 100 spot jump in the RPI from 179 last year to 83 now, & if we don't make the NIT the CBI will take us which is still post season play & more much needed practice.

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

Prepare to salute Major Disappointment.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Gogue may have been great for academics. I have no clue though as I do not follow that closely. As for the athletics side Gogue was horrible & did not care a dang thing about athletics other than did the eagle fly good or that we had funnel cakes. We need a president who knows & understands how athletics can impact the entire university in a positive way much, much more than those areas can do on their own. And a new Prez may very well let JJ go. Not sure if it will pan out but there is a movement in the PTBs to hire a guy that will get that done.

Gogue played basketball at Auburn himself.  He has been a student athlete. He knows how athletics impact the entire university.  Don't forget , when we look back at the past decade we will see the most successful decade in Auburn athletics ever. We have never played for 2 football national championships before, we have never built infrastructure like we have built over the past decade and we have never seen revenue anywhere near what we have seen. Better decisions in some areas could have certainly been made, but are we really certain that someone else would have made a different decision?  The last time we had a President overly involved was Jetgate, which landed the University on SACS probation and threatened to make Auburn a place that good professors avoided.

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I like how hard the Auburn team plays.  The lack of bigs is the biggest issue. Next year we actually will have some bigs but losing Ferking and Montgomery will be difficult to replace. I want to give coach Flo one more year and see if she can do it. Also like Elitor I would prefer JJ gone if we go looking for another coach.

What would 1 more year accomplish?  Would we then be happy with getting into the NIT?  They haven't recruited the players needed in the first 5, would any top talented players come knowing the staff is coaching without a contract? If you gave a contract would that be a 3 year deal?  Then we get to do the very Auburn thing of paying someone not to coach for a couple of years.  No... the time is now.

9 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Gogue played basketball at Auburn himself.  He has been a student athlete. He knows how athletics impact the entire university.  Don't forget , when we look back at the past decade we will see the most successful decade in Auburn athletics ever. We have never played for 2 football national championships before, we have never built infrastructure like we have built over the past decade and we have never seen revenue anywhere near what we have seen. Better decisions in some areas could have certainly been made, but are we really certain that someone else would have made a different decision?  The last time we had a President overly involved was Jetgate, which landed the University on SACS probation and threatened to make Auburn a place that good professors avoided.

All that is good and all but Gogue clearly distanced himself from athletics which is fine. At the same time a good president needs to acknowledge the positive impact athletics has on every thing else in the university. A President can do that without being involved in Athletics. Gogue has chosen not too which has allowed JJ to baffoon his way through his job. If a guy is going to baffoon a job he needs to be cut. A good president can do that when needed without being invoived in athletics. And a good portion of the good revenue stream is due to riding the coattails of the bigger SEC success so I wouldn't put that in JJ's or Gogue's cap as a feather.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

All that is good and all but Gogue clearly distanced himself from athletics which is fine. At the same time a good president needs to acknowledge the positive impact athletics has on every thing else in the university. A President can do that without being involved in Athletics. Gogue has chosen not too which has allowed JJ to baffoon his way through his job. If a guy is going to baffoon a job he needs to be cut. A good president can do that when needed without being invoived in athletics. And a good portion of the good revenue stream is due to riding the coattails of the bigger SEC success so I wouldn't put that in JJ's or Gogue's cap as a feather.

I agree that JJ has been fortunate to have been the AD during a time of incredible wealth in the SEC.  That has covered a lot of mistakes.  No doubt about that.  I have been impressed with Auburn's revenue more than most.  Its really impressive that we generate more revenue that UGA and all but 3 other SEC schools. I'm not arguing that he is responsible for that, but he has been fortunate to have been in the captain's chair during this time.  I do believe that his job is safe.  He has the backing of the BOT.  The good news is that in just a few years he will likely retire.

So sad to see this team collapse. They play hard and tough. To comment on the JJ situation, it is almost criminal that this man has run our athletic department. He's made so many mistakes it's really sad tbh. He should've been fired a long long time ago. Hopefully he retires soon and we can get a qualified AD instead of one of the "boys."

Archived