2018 4* S Smoke Monday (AU 7/11/17)

ellitor

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

6'3" 175 and will easily add 15 pounds the first college summer. He's a safety, and one we NEED

I agree with Bird. We need safeties that hit like safeties and have the cover skills of a corner. Still hoping we lock him up before Clemson offers.

18 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I agree with Bird. We need safeties that hit like safeties and have the cover skills of a corner. Still hoping we lock him up before Clemson offers.

Good thing for us Clemson is not taking many DBs in this class.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nice article on Coach Cam Newton working with hopefully future AU recruits link

Cam Newton a tough, but fair coach, to key Auburn target

A top Auburn target loves being coached by a Tigers legend.

ATLANTA -- You might think Quindarious Monday's 7-on-7 coach — a guy named Cam Newton — would be pushing the 4-star safety from Atlanta (Ga.) Carver to Auburn, Newton’s alma mater.

But you’d be wrong.

“Cam is not really like that,” Monday said. “He’s going to tell you it’s your decision. He’s telling you if you keep working and keep grinding you can be the best at what you do. I respect that because it’s not his job to recruit for Auburn. He’s just getting players better so when they go to college they won’t have to worry.”

On the field, Newton is a tough, vocal coach, according to Monday.

*** Get free breaking news in the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

“I love playing for him,” Monday said. “He’s hard because he wants to see us succeed and wants us to be great.”

Monday, the No. 12 athlete in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, is a top Auburn target. And right now, the Tigers are his No. 1 school.

“I love the coaches at Auburn,” Monday said. “They show me the most love. I talk to the coaches almost every day and they show me that they need me. They’re not just saying that — they really mean it. I fit in because they just lost a good safety with Rudy Ford. I know they gain Marlon Character. He went to Grady (High in Atlanta). I know I can fit in with them and compete for a spot. I won’t have to wait and redshirt.”

As for his relationship with new secondary coach Greg Brown.

“I love his background,” Monday said.

You can hear our entire interview with Monday by going to the link above and it is at the bottom of the page

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

4-star safety target sets timeline, talks Auburn

ATLANTA — Quindarious Monday has been a name closely linked to Auburn this spring.

Monday told SEC Country at the Nike Opening camp in Atlanta that the Tigers led for his services. He hadn’t been a name tied to the Tigers for long, but the 4-star safety from Carver High School in Atlanta had already taken “four or five” visits to the Plains.

The 6-foot-4, 180-pound safety quickly became a trendy pick to Auburn on 247Sports’ crystal ball — myself included. His love for the Tigers hasn’t wavered, but Monday wanted to give a quick pump-the-brakes message as he take the next few months to visit schools and narrow in on a decision.

“I’m going to focus in hard. I know I want to graduate early, so I need to have my decision made before then. It’s going to be real tough,” Monday told SEC Country. “A lot of schools really chasing after me. I can’t put one as the leader. They’re all coming in hard. I’ve got to show everybody love. It wasn’t so much saying Auburn was the leader, but I was basically saying I really liked Auburn.”

That last part hasn’t changed.

Greg Brown attended Monday’s spring game on Friday night, which included a 70-yard receiving touchdown for Monday. On the defensive side of the ball, Brown closely tracked Monday’s every move, taking video of the nation’s No. 11 safety.

Brown’s close attention of Monday has Auburn as “one of the teams to beat.”

“They, especially, were really showing a lot of love. I talk to Auburn on a daily basis. Coach Greg came and saw me this week. I just talk to all the Auburn coaches. They’re all real cool. They all show real love. They just tell me everything that I need to do to make it to the next level,” Monday said. “They tell me I’m one of the best DBs they’re recruiting, and that’s really all I need to know.”

IMG_9175_n9m5rn.jpg
Quindarious Monday calls Auburn “one of the teams to beat.” (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

So who has worked to close the gap on Monday?

Well, he wore two sets of gloves during his spring game. Monday wore Georgia gloves in the first half, as defensive coordinator Mel Tucker watched on. In the second half, he reverted back to the same pair of Florida gloves he wore at the Nike Opening. So those two have pushed hard recently.

Florida State, the original team Monday listed as a No. 2, has re-emerged as a major contender. Tennessee, Michigan, Ole Miss and a few others are in contention to receive visits this summer. Monday’s next few months will include several college trips to the aforementioned schools to begin closing in on a place that is “close to home and feels like home.”

The final decision will come by the middle of his senior season after he’s taken some of those official visits. Monday will be an early enrollee.

His next planned trip to Auburn is for Big Cat Weekend on June 3, which comes just following one of Monday’s 7-on-7 tournaments, which brings up another noteworthy item. Monday plays for Cam Newton’s 7-on-7 team alongside Penn State quarterback commit Justin Fields, who Auburn will work effortlessly to flip this fall.

“I just want to go somewhere that feels like home. Auburn, it’s beautiful down there, and the coaches, they’re like really real. They keep it 100. They tell you the right thing. They don’t tell you, ‘We’re not recruiting anyone else.’ They’re going to tell you what exactly they’re doing, and they’re going to be recruiting for Auburn. It’s your decision if you’re going to come or not,” Monday said. “I’m looking for early playing time. They talk to me about early opportunity. They tell me I can come in and compete for a spot. But you’re always going to have to work for what you want.”

Quindarius Monday and Master Teague. I'm liking the names we're going after!

in all seriousness, the more big, talented DBs the better. 

Every time I come to this thread I hoping Monday is going to commit, and there is going to be another shot of Tuesday Weld.

8 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Every time I come to this thread I hoping Monday is going to commit, and there is going to be another shot of Tuesday Weld.

P5FIBFGyo6Ojh4cHnU5Hi9rb21ssFvN4PB6Px2KxOiYQPVAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

Edited by aufan57
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

anytime I think a kid is close to committing to us this cycle and all we hear is Auburn leads they just keep pushing the carrot farther from our faces! lol WHY WONT YOU LOVE US?! LoveMe.gif

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This kid is a must get. Love to get him in the fold at BCW. Looks like uga is making a push. Hope the push is too late. 

One of the biggest prospects this cycle, IMO.  Has a chance to start as a freshman

• Like 1

Just now, bigbird said:

One of the biggest prospects this cycle, IMO.  Has a chance to start as a freshman

I almost tagged you with the one tweet that talked about how well he played at CB even though I know we need him at Safety.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I almost tagged you with the one tweet that talked about how well he played at CB even though I know we need him at Safety.

I read it.  A safety with true corner skills is rare. Even more reason he is a must get.

• Like 3

Plus, I'll just say it. His nickname is fantastic. 

But seriously, a CB with his length or a Safety with his coverage skills... that's a top of the board prospect.

Why 4-star safety’s potential absence isn’t a concern

Quindarious Monday is one of Auburn’s top safety targets.

The 4-star prospect from Carver (Ga.) in Atlanta has spoken highly of the Tigers in the past and has said he intends to visit Auburn for its Big Cat Weekend recruiting event, which will take place on Saturday. It should be an impressive cast that Monday has always been scheduled to be a part of.

He’s not completely ruling out his ability to make it, but as pointed out last week, his role on the Cam Newton 7-on-7 team will take precedent over his recruiting visit plans. The tournament will reconvene on Friday, and if Monday, Justin Fields and others on that team have their way, the squad will earn its way into Saturday play as well.

CSC_0041_dubmcs.jpg
Auburn safety target Quindarious Monday (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

That would likely take Monday and Fields off the visit list for the weekend, though only Monday has previously been a confirmed guest. In fact, Monday told SEC Country on Tuesday that he will “probably not” be in attendance despite his previous wishes to be there.

This shouldn’t frighten Auburn fans.

In fact, the Tigers can (jokingly) blame one of their own — Newton — for preoccupying Monday’s time. The safety starred on Memorial Day, stating his case as one of the best defensive players competing. It shows Monday’s team-first competitiveness to put the 7-on-7 squad, which has a rare title-or-bust attitude, before his own recruitment.

Auburn will end up getting a visit from Monday in the near future, if he’s ultimately unable to attend this weekend.

He’s just putting Cam Newton’s 7-on-7 squad as his priority this time around.

I'm confused. Fields is committed to Elite 11 that weekend, right? If so, their chances at the title are pretty much shot anyway.

2 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I'm confused. Fields is committed to Elite 11 that weekend, right? If so, their chances at the title are pretty much shot anyway.

Yeah that's basically what I tweeted to the reporter who wrote the article.

• 3 weeks later...